SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Watching a recording before it's finished

Hello,
I hope this is the correct location for this. I'm not sure if this is a SageMC issue or SageTV issue. Anyway, I like to let a recording of mine start for a while before I start watching it but when I select watch from the recordings section it starts at the current "live tv" part of the recording and I then have to rewind back to the begining. This is not ideal, especially for sports when you don't want to know the score. Anyway, is there a way to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 09-02-2008, 06:27 AM
SageTVaholic

In SageMC hit the Stop button on your remote. Then choose Restart video from the dialog box that comes up.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crarbo1 View Post
I hope this is the correct location for this. I'm not sure if this is a SageMC issue or SageTV issue.
To answer this & another question of yours about where to post: since you are using SageMC, yes, this is the correct forum to post in for any issue, unless you can reproduce an issue in the default STV w/o any customizations active.

I think SageMC is still using older STV code that jumps to the current time for currently-recording shows.

The default STV jumps to 'live' playback only if you chose to watch live TV, though there may still be some recording formats that don't seek to the beginning properly if playback is started while the show is still recording.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Andy,

Is there any particular place that would be best to look in the default STV to see the new code?

Aloha,
Mike
Old 09-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
Is there any particular place that would be best to look in the default STV to see the new code?
I can't remember if the OSD menu used to seek to the current time if the show is currently recording, or whether the core just didn't seek to the start time properly. But, a long time ago, the default STV started using "Seek(Time())" only if it needed to seek to the current time, which was only true when the Live TV command was used to initiate playback.

So... to shorten this story, search for the "NeedCurrentTimeSeek" variable to see where it is used in the "MediaPlayer OSD" menu and after the Live TV command is used. (I just can't remember if there was code removed that used to seek to the current time for any live TV playback.)

And, while testing this: see this post, where I mention a bug where live recordings aren't seeking to the proper start location in the core when playback starts on a currently recording file w/o using the live TV command. You'll see that it tried to seek to the beginning if a single REW jumps all the way back to the start.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks Andy. I'll check it out.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 09-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the info. I will try that out shortly and post the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
In SageMC hit the Stop button on your remote. Then choose Restart video from the dialog box that comes up.

Gerry
I thought it was the right place but I never checked the default to see if it was there or not since the wife does not want to use that STV. I guess from now on, I will check them both so I can give a better idea of where the issue is.

Thanks,
Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
To answer this & another question of yours about where to post: since you are using SageMC, yes, this is the correct forum to post in for any issue, unless you can reproduce an issue in the default STV w/o any customizations active.

I think SageMC is still using older STV code that jumps to the current time for currently-recording shows.

The default STV jumps to 'live' playback only if you chose to watch live TV, though there may still be some recording formats that don't seek to the beginning properly if playback is started while the show is still recording.

- Andy
Old 09-02-2008, 07:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I can't remember if the OSD menu used to seek to the current time if the show is currently recording, or whether the core just didn't seek to the start time properly. But, a long time ago, the default STV started using "Seek(Time())" only if it needed to seek to the current time, which was only true when the Live TV command was used to initiate playback.

So... to shorten this story, search for the "NeedCurrentTimeSeek" variable to see where it is used in the "MediaPlayer OSD" menu and after the Live TV command is used. (I just can't remember if there was code removed that used to seek to the current time for any live TV playback.)
Hi Andy,

I checked and SageMC already has this code incorporated. It even uses the same "NeedCurrentTimeSeek" variable. Thanks.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 09-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

So if I understand you and Andy right, since SageMC has the new code incorporated I shouldn't be having my issue when I hit watch it goes to the current location if the show hasn't finished recording? It doesn't appear to be doing this all of the time. I can't nail down exactly when but it was doing it some over the weekend when I was trying to watch some football games that were still recording, then I saw the score for the current time and had to rewind back to the begining.

Thanks,
Chuck
Quote:
Hi Andy,

I checked and SageMC already has this code incorporated. It even uses the same "NeedCurrentTimeSeek" variable. Thanks.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 09-02-2008, 08:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So if I understand you and Andy right, since SageMC has the new code incorporated I shouldn't be having my issue when I hit watch it goes to the current location if the show hasn't finished recording? It doesn't appear to be doing this all of the time. I can't nail down exactly when but it was doing it some over the weekend when I was trying to watch some football games that were still recording, then I saw the score for the current time and had to rewind back to the begining.

Thanks,
Chuck
Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying that you are having the problem. If you are able figure out how to reproduce it reliably, please let me know. In the mean time I'll try to reproduce it on my system as well. I almost never watch live TV, so it could be there and I just never noticed. If we can track it down, I'll try to get it fixed.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 09-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
That's good to know -- it must have been a long time since this came up because the last time I looked into & tried to reproduce the issue, it worked in the default STV & it turned out the person was using SageMC... w/o mentioning that part to me at first.

Quote:
So if I understand you and Andy right, since SageMC has the new code incorporated I shouldn't be having my issue when I hit watch it goes to the current location if the show hasn't finished recording? It doesn't appear to be doing this all of the time.
See the link in one of my posts above; it turns out that there is a bug in the core that has already been fixed for the next release. I wasn't aware that SageMC had already implemented the change to seek to the current time only for live TV, so I initially thought you were running into that.

There isn't a whole lot you can do until the next release except hit REW after playback starts -- a single use of REW may rewind all the way to the beginning in this situation. And, no, I don't know when the next release will be.

If it still happens after the next SageTV release, then there might be something else for the SageMC developers to look into, but I don't think they need to do anything for now.

- Andy
Old 09-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Mike,
I wasn't insinuating that you didn't believe me. I was just trying to understand what everyone was saying. Sometimes the way I read things may be different than what was intended.
Thanks,
Chuck
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying that you are having the problem. If you are able figure out how to reproduce it reliably, please let me know. In the mean time I'll try to reproduce it on my system as well. I almost never watch live TV, so it could be there and I just never noticed. If we can track it down, I'll try to get it fixed.

Aloha,
Mike
Andy,
Thanks for the update. I'm glad I'm not loosing my mind. I will live with it until the next update.
Thanks,
Chuck
Quote:
That's good to know -- it must have been a long time since this came up because the last time I looked into & tried to reproduce the issue, it worked in the default STV & it turned out the person was using SageMC... w/o mentioning that part to me at first.

See the link in one of my posts above; it turns out that there is a bug in the core that has already been fixed for the next release. I wasn't aware that SageMC had already implemented the change to seek to the current time only for live TV, so I initially thought you were running into that.

There isn't a whole lot you can do until the next release except hit REW after playback starts -- a single use of REW may rewind all the way to the beginning in this situation. And, no, I don't know when the next release will be.

If it still happens after the next SageTV release, then there might be something else for the SageMC developers to look into, but I don't think they need to do anything for now.

- Andy
Old 11-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

- Andy
Just checking - is this still a known issue with SageTV version 6.4.8 and SageMC 6.3.8?

Thanks!
T
Old 11-08-2008, 10:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylormadearmy View Post
Just checking - is this still a known issue with SageTV version 6.4.8 and SageMC 6.3.8?

Thanks!
T
I have tried to reproduce this problem and it has worked correctly for me every time.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 11-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

In the beta forum, there's a Demux Beta that might help.

- Andy
Old 11-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
In the beta forum, there's a Demux Beta that might help.

- Andy
I'm using extenders - so will this help? Assume if so I install the Demux filter on the SageTV Server?

Thanks as ever!
T