SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Sage Expert

How can I add //localhost/ directories on my HD100 running from WHS server?

Ok, this seems like it should be simple...

I added additional shared directories to my WHS server (via the WHS console of course so I didn't blow anything up)... how do I now add them as media import directories in SageTV? There's no "/" button or key when I set up media import directories from my HD100 (via specify function). I also can't find them via the directory structure

From the ones I have now, I know the format is //localhost/[directory name].

Thanks!
-Chis
Old 09-02-2008, 10:17 PM
SageTVaholic

It might be simpler to use Remote Desktop to connect to your WHS server, start the SageTV UI from there, and type in the paths from a real keyboard.

Also, Windows file paths use backslash (\) rather than forward slash (/).
Old 09-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Sage Expert

When I try to open SageTV directly from my server, I don't get any UI... it just loads and closes the window (well, actually it's already running already as a server). Maybe I am going to the wrong place... maybe time to RTFM : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
It might be simpler to use Remote Desktop to connect to your WHS server, start the SageTV UI from there, and type in the paths from a real keyboard.

Also, Windows file paths use backslash (\) rather than forward slash (/).
Old 09-04-2008, 12:35 PM
SageTVaholic

I believe when you add the folder to sage, if you use the Browse option, you can move up directories until you get to My Computer (should show all your drives by letter). This will also include a 'Network' option at the bottom. This SHOULD allow you to then browse network shares. The other option is, just use placeshifter from a PC with a keyboard, and add the share from there (remember, '\\'... not '//'...)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Sage Icon

Why wouldn't you just use the machine name rather then localhost?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I believe when you add the folder to sage, if you use the Browse option, you can move up directories until you get to My Computer (should show all your drives by letter). This will also include a 'Network' option at the bottom. This SHOULD allow you to then browse network shares. The other option is, just use placeshifter from a PC with a keyboard, and add the share from there (remember, '\\'... not '//'...)
That was the first thing I tried. It gave me an error though, or not found or something like that.

My WHS is not configured to allow guest access, but I don't think that's related... the localhost/music directory works fine (actually that's the only one left... for some reason I deleted all the others when I installed; anyway I would have needed to add the new one regardless).
Old 09-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
Why wouldn't you just use the machine name rather then localhost?
Don't know. "Localhost" is the way Sage configures to start with and that works for existing directories.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
Don't know. "Localhost" is the way Sage configures to start with and that works for existing directories.
I've used it both ways and it works. I suspect they just use "localhost" when they set the default media folders because it's easier than looking up the machine name and using that.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:05 PM
SageTVaholic

But if you plan to use SageTVClient, it will take "localhost" to mean the machine the client is running on, which is probably not what you want. Best to be unambiguous and use the actual computer name.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Sage User

I use the Sage Client on my main PC and it still works, even when the directories are set to "localhost".

What you are saying sounds reasonable, but it seems to work anyway. Maybe the server is accessing the media and streaming it out to client instead of the client accessing it directly?
Old 09-06-2008, 05:29 AM
SageTVaholic

I think so. You should not have access to things like dvd playback, or comskip files.

B
Old 09-06-2008, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Correct, Localhost will work on the client, because when sage starts playback, it fist tries to access the data directly (using the path of the share). This will fail when using localhost, as it wo't find the files. If the first attempt fails, the server will be asked to access teh files and stream them to the client. Lower performance this way, and plugins like comskip and such will not be able to find their files, so they will not work.. Best to use the actual path.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
Ok, this seems like it should be simple...

I added additional shared directories to my WHS server (via the WHS console of course so I didn't blow anything up)... how do I now add them as media import directories in SageTV? There's no "/" button or key when I set up media import directories from my HD100 (via specify function). I also can't find them via the directory structure

From the ones I have now, I know the format is //localhost/[directory name].

Thanks!
-Chis
You should be able to connect with a placeshifter session (the HD100 license is also a placeshifter license so no additional cost) and add the paths from there.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
You should be able to connect with a placeshifter session (the HD100 license is also a placeshifter license so no additional cost) and add the paths from there.
I actually added the paths through a Sage Client.

Incidentally, I added all my WHS shared folders as "localhost," and the darned server (and therefore the HD100 and clients) slowed to molassas. Deleting all the import directories except one seems to have sped the server up again.

Now, however, per the new thread I just started, all of the files from *all* shares are still showing up in media center... makes no sense... ack.

Last edited by Chriscic; 09-06-2008 at 08:14 PM.