SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:31 PM

SageTV with Windows home server

I have to admit, I love my setup. I have a homebuilt Windows home server with a 3.6 Ghz processor, 2 GBs of Ram, 1.85 TB of internal storage, one 150 GB dedicated sagetv External drive, and one external to back up my backups. I installed a tv tuner card, formated the SageTV drive in 64 kb clusters, and it works great (except for a really thin static line that shows up at the top of the screen in my recordings.) Anyhow, for those of you that don't know, you install sagetv on windows home server and it runs as a service. you install a client software on another pc in your house to use it. Now heres my confusion. I have WHS webguide installed, and its great for streaming my movies and even my recorded shows over the internet, but I'd like to watch my live stuff and set recordings too. so I'm trying to figure out how placeshifter works. I haven't seen just a simple step by step process on how to get that setup. and even better, I'd love to see it done on a usb key that I can just carry with me and put on any pc I happen to be at. but will I require a new liscense? can anybody tell me in simple terms how to make my simple dreams come true? thank you ahead of time.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelreed01 View Post
I haven't seen just a simple step by step process on how to get that setup.
Works almost exactly like Client, at least from an operation perspective. There should be a section in the manual on what's needed to setup placeshifter.

Quote:
and even better, I'd love to see it done on a usb key that I can just carry with me and put on any pc I happen to be at.
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...25&postcount=3

Quote:
but will I require a new liscense?
Placeshifter licenses are "per-seat" so if you've got one placeshifter license, you can use it from as many places as you want, so long as only one place is active at a time.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Michaelreed01, we have almost identical needs and setups (my WHS machine is a bit newer than yours and has a little more storage).

I run PlaceShifter. Just install the PlaceShifter client, and then connect using the Connector ID or your external IP (I use the IP). It couldn't be simpler.

I used AcsciiExpress' WebGuide before when my server was on WinXP, but haven't bothered to install it on my WHS machine as SageTV + Placeshifter does whatever I want...

Two problems though:
1. For some stupid reason SAGETV DOES NOT HAVE A WINDOWS MOBILE CLIENT!
When somebody get Windows Media Center to run on WHS I will install Webguide again, as this is the feature I miss most. Live TV on Windows Mobile would be excellent (like Orb or Slingbox does), but SageTV does not provide that feature. I really don't know why...

2. I'm sure it's possible but I've not found a good "Portable App" version of the PlaceShifter. I'm sure it's just me that don't know where to look...
Old 09-05-2008, 05:41 AM
SageTVaholic

I agree with you 100% Moskus! I am moving over from MCE and I have been running WebGuide for a couple of years. Webguide only requires a browser at the client end and I think this is a model that Sage should follow as well. That way any device with a browser like an iPhone, iPod Touch, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, etc. should be able to act as a client for Sage content.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelreed01 View Post
...and it works great (except for a really thin static line that shows up at the top of the screen in my recordings.)
Just wanted to throw out there, I believe this line is the closed caption data. A search should turn up more details.

Tim