SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:00 PM

Evaluating Options for Home Media Network

Hi all,

I am looking into building a home media system/network and I'm attracted to SageTV as per a post I received on a home theater forum. I've read a few threads on this forum and I think I'm more confused than when I started.

I'd prefer to not get into a super detailed project with multiple vendors, software solutions, etc, but I will if that will ultimately yield the best overall solution. I think maybe the best way to get started in the SageTV evaluation is to expose what I would like to do and see what you all have to say:

Our TV feed is from DirecTV.

We have several substantial iTunes libraries.

We have many DVDs, all still on their physical media.

And quite a few photos and downloaded video files.

We'd like to be able to access this material from multiple locations in the house, and perhaps remotely.

Ultimately it may be stored centrally, but I doubt it. It will probably always be located on multiple systems.

We would like to establish a central media server/manager that contains at least our DVDs "burned" to the hard drive(s) and maybe other media such as photos, our primary iTunes library etc.

We'd like to be able to control and manage the recordings, settings, etc of DirecTV as well as control live TV including pausing, etc, even for multiple tuners (so that different people can have their own recording preferences, show list, etc.).

We'd like to have access to other iTunes and image libraries on other computers located on the network.

We'd like the interface to be consistent, whether on a PC or a TV.

We'd like the possibility of high quality playback at all locations, including 1080p and at least 5.1 surround if coded.

The house is wired with dual RG6 and dual Cat5e at all media drops, all running to a central hub/closet. There is also dedicated speaker wiring running to all locations where "whole house" audio might be run. The media room is prewired for 7.1 and IR repeaters. All of this runs back to the central closet.

Right now all I'm looking to do is get at least one of the DirecTV STBs hooked into a server that can hold "ripped" DVDs, and my primary iTunes and image library. I don't have a problem mounting the DirecTV STBs in the media closet and using Serial communications, although I will be interested in knowing whether that will require I enable my IR repeater circuit, or if I just need a SageTV extender(s) in line-of-sight of the remote control.

There's probably more, but I'm basically looking for advice on whether I should build my network out of SageTV components or look elsewhere...

Thanks

Chris
Old 09-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrison600 View Post
Right now all I'm looking to do is get at least one of the DirecTV STBs hooked into a server that can hold "ripped" DVDs, and my primary iTunes and image library. I don't have a problem mounting the DirecTV STBs in the media closet and using Serial communications, although I will be interested in knowing whether that will require I enable my IR repeater circuit, or if I just need a SageTV extender(s) in line-of-sight of the remote control.
Except for the " ... my primary iTunes ... library" part, SageTV can handle it easily. (see below) I have all my photo's, DVDs, videos and music (mp3 and FLAC format) and can play them from any TV or PC in the house.

All the media extenders pass the "remote" commands back thru the ethernet from where they get their data, so no IR repeater needed.

Quote:
... my primary iTunes ... library
You keep using that phrase, but it defines nothing. What format did you rip your music to? If you've used apple lossless, you are in for a hard time. If you something common, or "free", (mp3 or FLAC I know are supported) you'll be OK.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Also, if you libraries are m4p (protected/purchased) then you'll have issues as well. SageTV can load in multiple locations for shared media.

What will you be using for a server?

B
Old 09-17-2008, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Our older music is in MP3 format, but everything we've done since adopting iTunes has been in the native iTunes format, which I guess is "Apple Lossless".

What is m4p? A protection scheme for music files? Video?

As far as DVDs, how do I need to rip them so they are fully functional versions of the original DVD content, including menus, extras, etc?

For a server - I don't have a set idea. I was assuming something with Windows, but it doesn't have to be. I'm also considering Mac.

What server/OS is more recommended?

I've been reading that Windows Media Center isn't very favored because of limitations like difficult DirecTV/satellite support, poor ripped-DVD support, and DRM issues. That is what is pushing me to SageTV - the generally better support and seemingly more open/compatible environment. Would you agree with that assessment?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 09-17-2008, 07:33 PM

One other thing that just popped into my head is that I would like the "server" to be able to run games very well. I suppose that ropes me into a Windows machine and I just need to make sure I have the horsepower to run games effectively.

Chris
Old 09-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
As far as DVDs, how do I need to rip them so they are fully functional versions of the original DVD content, including menus, extras, etc?
Just use some software to rip them to their original format. When you choose the movie, Sage will start it up just like you put a disk in your DVD player. Same if you are watching on an HD Extender.

Quote:
For a server - I don't have a set idea. I was assuming something with Windows, but it doesn't have to be. I'm also considering Mac.

What server/OS is more recommended?
Purely based on surfing this forum, I think I have seen the least amount of "issues" with plain old Windows XP. But that could also be because people who use other formats are generally people who tinker with things more, whereas XP is the "for dummies" OS and its users might just "let it be" more.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Sage Expert

I don't know if you saw your post over at HP's forum, but I'm glad you already found Sage.
You're not going to want to play games at the same time if you're recording or watching tv, especially HD. I'd go with a quad core and be done with it if you're building from scratch.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
Go with xp

From what you posted originally you seem to be ready for whatever with multiple drops in multiple location you have endless possibilities, now for your already there content thats simple just share then add the share to sagetv. Avi's divx etc just fine, mp3 flac ogg and wmv are what I have seen work so far, but some require a little winamp help in the background. I personally have one server with 6 feeds for recording/playback, a naslite server for all my other media (Music, Pictures, over 200 DVDs, and many in divx/avi/xvid...). Then multiple extenders do the job of streaming to the rest of the house .

Now if I had unlimited funds there would be at least 2 sagetv servers one in the main viewing room for recording multiple sources and full HD playback and support, plus customability. And another set up in another location with as many other feeds as I could cram down its throught as well as massive storage with the ability but not the need for hd playback.
And a new redesigned multi-TB naslite or freenas server preferrably with some raid backup going on. Upgrade from some to all HD extenders throughout and install client and placeshifter liscenses on all desktops and laptops so I could always do a little watching while working. Then if there was even more money I do a total home automation server and tie sagetv into it so I'd rarely need to leave whereever I happened to sit and pick up a remote.

Now if only logitech would make a harmony remote that synced up with all other remotes in the house and could do zone tagging so each user could have there own custom remote that could be used anywhere in the home, no matter what the state of the media centers, that would be nice, very very nice, plus all that money I mentioned wishing to have earlier
Old 09-18-2008, 04:19 AM
SageTVaholic

m4p is protected (usually purchased) music from iTunes. If you're using AAC, worst case you can convert to MP3 (Even from within iTunes)

B

PS - The best experience for a server is one which sits in a closet and is not used for games.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
PS - The best experience for a server is one which sits in a closet and is not used for games.

Yes, a lock-up would spell loss of shows. Games that take a lot of CPU would mean that shows would end up with drop-outs. People watching TV on an extender would have issues while you were playing games.

It would be far more trouble that it would be worth.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:03 PM

Good point regarding dedicated hardware for media services vs gaming. I think what I'll do is build a dedicated system for SageTV and related services then have a quasi-portable gaming system that I can move to where I want to run a game. I can always just run the feed from the gaming system through wherever I am...

Chris
Old 09-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Sage Icon

Just an FYI, chrison600 - I don't know if this even applies to you - but if you wanted to save some money, and you are going to have a dedicated server (in a closet, not used for watching), and do all of your watching through the HD Extenders, you don't need a "beefy" PC at all. See my signature as an example.

Look on the Sage software purchase page for the link to the system requirements, under "hardware encoding". It's very minimal. You may be able (as I was) to use an old spare PC that was collecting dust, as your server (adding just some external hard drives for storage space). The Extenders do all of the work - the PC just runs the software and sends the data streams to their correct destinations (without having to transcode anything).

Of course, this also depends on what tuner gadgets you want to use on that machine - some tuner cards require the "beef". I use the HDHomerun - it does not.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Sage Icon

Also comskip and transcoding require CPU, unless you want to store the stuff in MPEG2 or you have an HD PVR.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Sage Expert

Build the dedicated server. Even if you transcode and comskip you don't need massive horsepower. Real time transcoding is the worst and you shouldn't need it with HD extenders and PC clients. Otherwise a slower CPU may have to work longer and harder but since the system isn't doing anything else what does that matter?

Then build your gaming PC for the TV you want to game on and use it as a client when you want to watch TV. It's overkill for TV watching but saves you the cost of an HD extender on top of a gaming rig.

I'd still use XP Pro or WHS for the server. XP is stable, uses fewer resources, and has better compatibility with all the hardware out there. WHS give you better remote control and some nice storage and backup features.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:34 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djc208 View Post
Build the dedicated server. Even if you transcode and comskip you don't need massive horsepower. Real time transcoding is the worst and you shouldn't need it with HD extenders and PC clients. Otherwise a slower CPU may have to work longer and harder but since the system isn't doing anything else what does that matter?
HOWEVER, if you ever plan on using Placeshifter to access TV remotely (which if you're buying licences for HD extenders makes Placeshifter usage a no-brainer), you'll want the extra "oomph" for real-time transcoding. I'd buy a quad-core CPU on a windows XP box with room for lots of drives (even if you don't use them all at once).