SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Version Upgrades and Timing

I'm considering investing in a SageTV system, and I'm reviewing the version history. From what I gather, Sage charges for full-digit version upgrades. Here is the timing of the last few major versions:

11-02-2005 Version 4.0
04-26-2006 Version 5.0
12-18-2006 Version 6.0

Since then, there are several 6.x updates.
So one way of looking at the above data is that version 7.0 is way overdue.
It would be disappointing to purchase version 6, and then in a few months have to pay again to move on to versions 7.

On the other hand, perhaps Sage intends to stick with the version 6 series for an indefinite time, until there is some significant new functionality that can be introduced.

Do the long time customers have any opinions they can share on this?

Thanks,

Tim.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:14 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm not sure I'd be considered a long-time SageTV guy - just started with it last November/December. But, I think its worth every penny. I have no idea when version 7 will come around, but 6.x continues to be updated rapidly. You won't be sorry for buying it now in my opinion.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

v5 to v6 was the first time SageTV charged for a major version upgrade. See this post for the past details - http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...upgrade+policy

At that time anyone with a v5 license was issued v6 for free with client & PS licenses not effected. Not sure what will happen from v6-v7 but i'd bet it will be a fair deal.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Also, for those of us who did have to pay for the upgrade, only the server license had to be upgraded (client upgrades were free) and it only cost about $30 when v6 was initially released.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 09-20-2008, 11:45 AM
SageTVaholic

As others pointed out, the upgrade from V5 to V6 was the first time Sage charged an upgrade fee for licensed users. I expect they will continue doing this. What wasn't pointed out, however, was that people who recently purchased V5 received a free upgrade to V6. Sage will probably do that again too.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Everyone has already pointed out the upgrade policies of the past....I am only going to point this out...

Even if Sage does move to a policy where no matter when and what version you buy that every full version requires you to purchase the upgrade, this is no different than basically every other software title out there. If you buy Office 2007, Microsoft doesn't give you Office 20XX for free just because you bought it 10 days before 20XX went on sale. This also wouldn't change your decision to buy Office would it? Further, there is nothing that says that you have to update either. Many people still visit these forums running 5.X. My parents still run 5.X and are quite happy. They have a couple of MediaMVP's and only do SD capture so for them there is no need to upgrade (has nothing to do with the $30 bucks).

I say, if Sage does what you want it to do, then go for it. Buy it now. Don't wait for the next full release as who knows when that is. Worst case scenario is that you end up having to spend $30 bucks at some point when you NEED the extra features of 7.0. I myself will buy the 7.0 upgrade as soon as it comes out.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-20-2008, 05:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg11 View Post
So one way of looking at the above data is that version 7.0 is way overdue.
Another way of looking at it is that they rushed to change the versions number from 4.x to 6.x. I think it had something to do with a competitor changing version numbers, but I do not recall the details.

In any case, if they charge a small amount to go from 6.x to 7.0 I will also pay for it since my family is TOTALLY dependent on SageTV.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Sage Icon

If depend on my software to reliably work for me and as enhancements are added and improvements are made I, for one, am happy to pay for them. For the pleasure this software gives us, it's well worth what we pay for the updates.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 09-21-2008, 04:26 AM
SageTVaholic

I think it is fair to say that there are a few people here who would gladly pay for the upgrade. Also, since rolling out version 6, SageTV has introduced a new revenue stream in the HD100 device which they have sold through 2 production runs which hopefully means they'll stay in the 6's for a while.

B