SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Sage User

Lightbulb Finally - Working Hauppauge HVR1600 QAM

Hello all,
I am a newer user of SageTV (3 weeks), having used BeyondTV for about 3 years. Reading through the forums, I see that there are many such immigrants. Hopefully this will help others here because I definitely feel your frustrations with the HVR1600 QAM.

When I first installed SageTV, I was able to get 2 QAM channels, CBS and NBC, but sometimes they would not work at all. Like others, my TV received many QAM channels but I could not get the 1600 to work. I read every post on the Sage forums and tried every suggestion. I tried beta drivers using everyone's friend, 'hcwclear'. I also installed the latest release software, 4.2, hoping that maybe this would be the answer. Nothing seemed to work and in fact, after all that, I could not get SageTV or WinTV to locate any QAM channels at all. None. In addition, I have tried coax amplifiers, no amplifiers, more spliters, fewer spliters and different cables.

I began scouring the google for any forums or information about QAM and the 1600. After searching what seems to be forever and ever, I finally found a suggestion that was new. I figured, what the heck, it doesn't work already. I installed the following files located on the Hauppauge ftp site (and I have attached it below):

ftp://haupauge.com/Support/Tools/reg...da-scripts.zip

I am running XP so I installed (ran) the two batch files that do not say Vista. I'm assuming that this would work for Vista too but don't have a TV tuner in a Vista machine. WinTV finally found over 40 QAM channels after I restarted but I'm not sure if a restart was required.

I hope that this works for others because I feel your frustations. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: zip register-bda-scripts.zip (630 Bytes, 538 views)
Old 09-24-2008, 07:46 AM

Thumbs up

Wow! Seems like there are a lot of tools on that FTP site. I have had the same issues as you when using WinTV, but when I installed Hauppage, the problems seemed to almost go away. One I still have is that 2 particular channels work at first, but then I lose the signal and can only get them back by rebooting. I will try your suggestion tonight and see if that fixes the problem.

Excellent find. You certainly did your research. I really appreciate your sharing this with us. Any idea what some of these other files do?
Old 09-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Skywalker View Post
Wow! Seems like there are a lot of tools on that FTP site. I have had the same issues as you when using WinTV, but when I installed Hauppage, the problems seemed to almost go away. One I still have is that 2 particular channels work at first, but then I lose the signal and can only get them back by rebooting. I will try your suggestion tonight and see if that fixes the problem.

Excellent find. You certainly did your research. I really appreciate your sharing this with us. Any idea what some of these other files do?

Hopefully this will help solve the problem that you are experiencing. I'm not sure exactly what registry changes that these files make, perhap someone that knows more could explain but it seems like the BDA drivers got unregistered somehow and these scripts reregister them.

Tags
1600 qam hauppauge