SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Strange new HD100 problem

I have this new problem that started last week. My extender will be working fine then all of a sudden shut off. If I hit power on the remote it comes back on but when I try to tune to tv again the whole screen goes solid green. Nothing will respond until I power the extender off at the switch and then power it back on. Has anyone else seen this and have an idea of what the cause is? It seems to only happen when I am watching recordings from the HD PVR.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Sage Fanatic

I have seen this behavior before too.. I can't isolate what causes it though.. and I DON'T have the HD PVR..
Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

I too have seen this as well. 6.4.8, HD-PVR, HD100 (most recent firmware)
DEFAULT STV
Comskip triggered by DirMON2 --- HD100 / HD200 /HD300
BMI fanart
Old 10-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

I actually saw this last night for the first time.. 6.4.8, HD100 (original model, latest firmware), and 2 HDHR's doing OTA. While watching a HD recording - the screen went completely green for about a second or so, then everything continued fine on its own - no lockups, key presses, or reboots necessary....
Old 10-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThomas View Post
I actually saw this last night for the first time.. 6.4.8, HD100 (original model, latest firmware), and 2 HDHR's doing OTA. While watching a HD recording - the screen went completely green for about a second or so, then everything continued fine on its own - no lockups, key presses, or reboots necessary....
I saw this also but did not even consider it a HD100 issue. I thought it was a broadcast problem. I sometimes see other glitches that only occur from certain stations.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgar View Post
I saw this also but did not even consider it a HD100 issue. I thought it was a broadcast problem. I sometimes see other glitches that only occur from certain stations.
I too thought it was a broadcast issue... but it is happening with HD-PVR of direcTv and the HDHR OTA. Something is amiss... I am also seeing stuttering in playback of HDHR mpegs... arg.
DEFAULT STV
Comskip triggered by DirMON2 --- HD100 / HD200 /HD300
BMI fanart
Old 10-16-2008, 05:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckwell View Post
I too thought it was a broadcast issue... but it is happening with HD-PVR of direcTv and the HDHR OTA. Something is amiss... I am also seeing stuttering in playback of HDHR mpegs... arg.
Strange, I've got 6.4.8 and two HD Extenders with the most current release firmware and have not seen this at all. And I watch a LOT of recordings on both of my extenders.

To be honest I can't recall the last time either of my extenders crashed/locked up on me. The last time either of them was rebooted was to install the release firmware for 6.4.8. That was a couple weeks or more ago if I recall.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm starting to think the problem is network hiccups. I think the extenders are very sensitive to dropped network connections (lost packets, jitter, something), even if the network quickly fixes itself. So if you have a rock solid network you won't see this problem. In my case I think the ip over coax boxes I am using are dropping out just for an instant then coming back and when that happens the extender goes bonkers.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedson View Post
In my case I think the ip over coax boxes I am using are dropping out just for an instant then coming back and when that happens the extender goes bonkers.
Did I read that right IP over coax? I have not done IP over coax since 1984when I worked for the Army Corp of Engineers.

Wait a second I have coax running all over my house. This could be an easier way to hook up the extender.

What do you use for this?

(off Topic yet again, where will they move my post this time?)
Old 10-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

There is an expensive way and a cheap way.

The expensive way is Gefen Gtv-eth-2-coax (in the same price range are ETH-COAX-T units but I haven't tried those.) You just plug them in to the wall, plug in the ethernet and coax and they work. You can set encryption, etc. but in my case our homes coax network doesn't go outside the house, so I didn't bother. The Genfen units come in sets of two, but they are not point to point, so if you wanted you could buy two sets of two and put all four on the same coax network via a simple coax splitter and all four boxes would see each other (but of course the more you put on one network the more they share the available bandwidth.)

The cheaper way is to find Motorola NIM-100 boxes. These are the old verizon fios set top boxes. You can usually find them on ebay. Of course you wont be able to use them as set top boxes, but it turns out if you just plug them in and turn them on they happily work as ethernet to coax bridges. I have seen them as low as $25 on ebay.

The Genfen is guaranteed to work and is much smaller than the NIM-100 boxes. The NIM-100 is a hack but really cheap.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

I can recommend the cheap way. I bought ten NIM100s from ebay for (I think) about USD25 a piece. I've found them exceptionally stable and have never had the problem the OP describes here using a HD extender over one (but then I'm only sending std def PAL TV).

Eric