SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Sage Icon

What are the current issues with HD-PVR?

Hi..... just curious what the outstanding issues with the HD-PVR and SageTV.

I'm thinking of getting one, but my wife will not tolerate any more issues with Sage or it's a downgrade to DirecTV for me.

In addition to "is it working.... reliably" I have a couple of questions:

1. will it also record standard definiton stuff as well? (if I get one digital cable box will it record everything off the component analog outputs from the box).

2. Some people have said it overheats. Is the new one with a fan noisy.

Thanks for the info!

Stacy
Old 10-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Sage Icon

Honestly I think they are working pretty well for recording. I have a 2nd generation version and have not had any overheating problems with it. I also don't have any noise issues, but apparently some units have a louder fan than others. There is a set of beta drivers out that seem to fix the digital audio problem (original drivers would only record analog sound).

However, some people are still experiencing playback issues using computers. I think it boils down to codex issues, but there doesn't seem to be an easy fix. So if you are using HD extenders for playback, then I would recommend getting the HD-PVR and you'll probably be very happy with it.

If you are using a computer to play back material, then the chances of 100% satisfaction drops. It's not that it is broken and doesn't work at all, it is just that it is very hit and miss. You may not have any problems at all, but it might also have problems that kill the WAF.

That is my personal take on it. I have a HD-PVR, but view material via a HD extender. So my experience while frustrating at times (during intial set up) has been very good once everything was installed and working correctly.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 10-10-2008, 01:11 PM
SageTVaholic

I have my cable STB set to output the native resolution of each channel and the HD-PVR records it all just fine through the component input. 480i, 720p and 1080i all record at their native resolutions. Although I had to set a recording delay in my properties file so that it wouldn't catch the transition between resolution changes. I control my STB through firewire and for some reason it will not send leading zeros for the channel number and as a result it waits for further input before finally changing channels. I find it rather annoying that it strips the leading zeros since I know for certain that SageTV is passing them.

I have the C2 revision with the fan but without the vent holes. I can hear the fan if I'm paying attention to it but otherwise it is fairly quiet. I have it pushed off into a corner so it's not going to be noticed anyway. I haven't had any kind of overheating problems with mine and it made it through the heat of Oklahoma summer without needing any kind of restarts. After the recent beta release I still have had no issues with mine. So far it's worked like a charm and I'm now getting AC3 5.1 channel audio on the stations that Cox carries it on. Pretty sweet.

But it sounds like there is quite a bit of variability between what people are experiencing with the HD-PVR. And it's probably a combination of things from variability with the HD-PVR itself to the quality and stability of hardware/software on one's SageTV server to the technical experience one has. I'm certainly not trying to toot my own horn but I am very experienced with computers and have always stayed with quality hardware and run a very tight ship as far as software goes. Aside from a hardware failure here and there my SageTV server has had uptimes in months at a time without issue. It's rather nice to have such a smooth running system.

Last edited by Taddeusz; 10-10-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
original drivers would only record analog sound
That's not true. I was recording PCM audio through my HD-PVR's optical input up until the new drivers came out and I switched my STB to output Dolby Digital.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by srothwell View Post
In addition to "is it working.... reliably" I have a couple of questions:
The HD-PVR doesn't lock for everyone, but I seem to be one of the unlucky ones.

Mine are not reliable and I don't really know why. If there was a competing tuner that could record HD from component connections, I would try it, but there isn't another one. Both of mine have fans & one has been replaced, but they still lock at times. I don't think it is an overheating issue because it happened with the cover off & plenty of air flow. There is a topic w/a poll about locks.

I haven't had time yet to narrow down the problem on my units yet. I still need to revert to using only a single HD-PVR (though some people say they still get locks with just one) and I need to update the drivers for all my other Hauppauge tuners.

Who knows, maybe there is just some incompatibility with my PC from 2004.

Quote:
1. will it also record standard definiton stuff as well? (if I get one digital cable box will it record everything off the component analog outputs from the box).
It will record whatever yout STB is set to output, but I have my STB set to only output 1080i in an attempt to prevent any issues with resolution changes.

Quote:
2. Some people have said it overheats. Is the new one with a fan noisy.
Some people say it is loud & others say it isn't; I can't hear the fan in mine. There is another topic about the loud fan.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Sage Expert

I've owned one from the start of shipping. My C1 would overheat in a minute, my C2 I just RMA'ed.

I've had nothing but problems with this thing old or new drivers, but more-so new. Not sure if it was my HD-PVR (we'll see when replacement arrives) or something else. But I have tried combos of three different PCs (running Sage solo and as server), and two clients (HD100 extender and PC) and the new drivers with digital sound have been a mess. The HD100 extender will drop sound, video will become super choppy, only hissing and popping, lose connection, etc.

I have spent hours and hours trying to get things working properly. I hope it ends up being a (2nd) defective HD-PVR, because otherwise whether or not this thing works is total luck of the draw, and must only work properly with certain hardware configs.

I really want it to work. I've invested in the HD100 extender, Sage software, and wired my house with Cat 5. But so far just a bummer.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
The HD-PVR doesn't lock for everyone, but I seem to be one of the unlucky ones.

Mine are not reliable and I don't really know why. If there was a competing tuner that could record HD from component connections, I would try it, but there isn't another one. Both of mine have fans & one has been replaced, but they still lock at times. I don't think it is an overheating issue because it happened with the cover off & plenty of air flow. There is a topic w/a poll about locks.

I haven't had time yet to narrow down the problem on my units yet. I still need to revert to using only a single HD-PVR (though some people say they still get locks with just one) and I need to update the drivers for all my other Hauppauge tuners.

Who knows, maybe there is just some incompatibility with my PC from 2004.

It will record whatever yout STB is set to output, but I have my STB set to only output 1080i in an attempt to prevent any issues with resolution changes.

Some people say it is loud & others say it isn't; I can't hear the fan in mine. There is another topic about the loud fan.

- Andy
I am also one of the unlucky ones. I am using 3 HD-PVR's and no other recording devices at all. With the release drivers I would get 2-3 times a week where one of them would stop responding and give a "No Signal" error in Sage. With the new beta drivers I get at least one a day and often 2-3. I also started getting new symptoms where Sage would pop up an error on all the active clients saying there was an error on the recording device. When I get this pop-up error I also start getting errors from Windows itself. The Windows error is that a hi-speed device is plugged into a lo-speed port (all my USB ports are hi-speed 2.0) and I also get Windows bongs indicating that the PVR is disconnected, connected, disconnected, etc. I have to reboot the server and disconnect power from the PVR's to fix this.

Since this has all gotten much worse with the new beta driver I am suspecting that there is a problem there. My second suspicion is some sort of incompatibility between my USB ports and the PVR's.

Scott
Old 10-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

I don't have one, but my understanding is that if you use placeshifter to remotely watch or use an MVP, it won't work reliably (server can't transcode). That's what I'm waiting on...
Old 10-11-2008, 01:49 PM
SageTVaholic

I have been using a C2 model for 3? months now with no problems. I have my DishNetwork VIP211 outputting all video at 1080i and it is rock solid. The new drivers seems to have helped the audio sync issue. I did notice today that while watching the Big 10 Network in HD I was getting the occassional studder, but stopping the playback (I was watching it Live so I also stopped the recording) and then restarting the playback fixed it. Otherwise I haven't had any problems.

I am still using analog (been too lazy to go hunting for an SPDIF cable in my giant box of jumbled cables and too cheap just to order one) for audio capture and only using one HDPVR as I only have one HD Dishnetwork receiver. I am also only using HD100's as playback devices (cheaper than building a PC, silent, low power consumption and just no hassle, what more could you want?).

It would be nice to be able to transcode for the MediaMVP as I have 3 of them hooked to my old CRT televisions, but I will probably have to rebuild my Sage server (again) in order for it to have enough power.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 10-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Sage Icon

How do you know what revision of the HD-PVR you have?
Old 10-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac View Post
How do you know what revision of the HD-PVR you have?
Mine has that info next to the serial number.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

I must be lucky. I have two HD-PVR's, both C2, and I don't have any problems with them.

I'm still running the 1.0b driver and analog sound.

They're in the basement and it stays under 70 degrees down there.

Also, I locked the two DirecTV H21's at 1080i to avoid any res change issues.

I'm running Sage server in a somewhat older Asus P4 motherboard, with a P4 3ghz cpu. All USB ports are USB 2.0 and the PVR's are plugged in directly to the motherboard USB ports.

I also set my dad up with two HD-PVR's. Zero problems there too. Similar setup to what I have, but it's in a room that could hit 75 or even 80 degree's during the summer. No lockups or anything with the C2's that he has. His server is an older MSI motherboard with the PVR's connected direct to the motherboard USB ports.

For those that are having problems, do you guys plug into a USB hub, or maybe one of expansion slot USB ports that get's connect to the motherboard with a short cable?

Last edited by bhyman1; 10-12-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I must be lucky. I have two HD-PVR's, both C2, and I don't have any problems with them.
Same here, but I had a bear of a time in the beginning.

Quote:
I'm still running the 1.0b driver and analog sound.
Ditto

Quote:
Also, I locked the two DirecTV H21's at 1080i to avoid any res change issues.
Ditto

Quote:
All USB ports are USB 2.0 and the PVR's are plugged in directly to the motherboard USB ports. For those that are having problems, do you guys plug into a USB hub, or maybe one of expansion slot USB ports that get's connect to the motherboard with a short cable?
I ended up having to put my two HD PVRs on two seperate headers, both on the mbd. I have two headers on the back of my mbd, one with 2 USB 2.0 and a firewire port, the other with 2 USB 2.0 and the Network connector. I use the front pannel connectors (connected to the motherboard with a cable) for an MCE ir receiver and wireless keyboard (connected only when needed).

EDIT: I also eliminated the USB-UIRT in favor of serial tuning with an addin pci serial card.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT

Last edited by HelenWeathers; 10-12-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post

I ended up having to put my two HD PVRs on two seperate headers, both on the mbd. I have two headers on the back of my mbd, one with 2 USB 2.0 and a firewire port, the other with 2 USB 2.0 and the Network connector. I use the front pannel connectors (connected to the motherboard with a cable) for an MCE ir receiver and wireless keyboard (connected only when needed).

EDIT: I also eliminated the USB-UIRT in favor of serial tuning with an addin pci serial card.

Thats interesting. I wonder if my two HD-PVR's are also on separate headers as well.

Yeah, I went with serial tuning too. Two ports on the motherboard, and two on a PCI card. Works so much better than a USB-UIRT for the DirecTV boxes.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Mine came out of the original batch. C1 with no issues. Never overheated or locked up. Running the latest beta drivers. I didn't bother with their remote because it seemed people had issues or difficulty getting it to work. I had a USB-UIRT and used that with no issues. All running on a WHS server.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Sage User

Well, I have had a hdpvr for a couple months, mine has a fan, but no vent holes, it would only record for a few minutes before locking. I took it apart, and put a 12v fan on it, leave the case open. It's been working for 2 months since, and works well enough I see no reason to send it back, so what if it's 'exposed' so is the computer it's hooked to. My rig is a bit old/outdated (athlon 3500) sing processor machine. It works, I only use the hdpvr as a tuner for non-ota hd content, since my ati hdtvwonder uses less resources. My rig has a barely percetible 'skip' when watching football etc every 15 secs or so, but I'm the only one that notices it, and I blame the archaic USB interface on the machine.

works great. Analog audio only, couldn't EVER get digital audio to work, I suspect my cable box is broken (comcast) somehow. This stuff is advancing so fast I don't bother with little minor things like spdif.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Sage User

Had mine about 2-3 weeks now

Its locked up a couple of times now, i assume its a C2 model since i Just picked it up. I run the 1.1 drivers and XP SP2 and the latest sage. Reseting it brings it right back to life. Its quiet and in an enclosed cabinet that has a back vent area. I stuck a thermometer in there and its about 83F at the moment, so I expect 80-90F is typical.

Anyone have any idea if there is an operating temperature specification? I googled a bit but couldn't find one.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriskin View Post
Its locked up a couple of times now, i assume its a C2 model since i Just picked it up. I run the 1.1 drivers and XP SP2 and the latest sage. Reseting it brings it right back to life. Its quiet and in an enclosed cabinet that has a back vent area. I stuck a thermometer in there and its about 83F at the moment, so I expect 80-90F is typical.

Anyone have any idea if there is an operating temperature specification? I googled a bit but couldn't find one.
As a test I would take it out of that cabinet and run it for a week to see if it still locks up. 83F in an enclosed cabinet for a chip that runs hot anyways is probably not the best place to stick it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Sage Icon

Mine seem to be working pretty well. I have 2 - one original and 1 fan version. Never had any heat problems from either one.
I did notice after an unscheduled server restart yesterday that neither was properly recording with Sage. Sage showed shows recording, but the filesize would stay at 0... I power cycled the HD PVRs and they seem to be working again.
I run the server in service mode and have the 2HDPVRs as well as an r5000 and a HDHR. Is there a recommendation about start up delay to get the encoders up to speed before sage starts up? Is there something else to run prior to starting the service to make sure they are running properly?

Thanks!