SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Program time runs over

I have noticed more and more that the Major Networks are letting their shows run over by 1 minute. This really screws up recording of my back to back fav's. Is there any way, other than manually padding recording setting under fav, to set it where it does NOT autodelete a recoding if you miss the last 1 min of a show!!!

-Cab

Last edited by Cabalsan; 10-14-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

From your other topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabalsan View Post
I still have problems every once in awhile of a program either not recording because it ran over by 1 minute and turner switched to another station - see my back to back record post on "program run time over" - or also because it showed to record, but just did not, for no rhyme or reason - still no answer for that one.
SageTV won't cut off a show by changing the channel with a minute to go on a scheduled recording; unless you set negative padding, it will record the full show and generate a conflict if that causes some show to not fit into the schedule.

You should enable debug logging and see whether the show actually recorded & what the log says about why it was deleted. You may be having tuner problems and getting incomplete recordings which are being deleted.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Trust me it does not record the show when it shows up to be recorded. Never set negative padding, only positive.

I will tell you, this happens on "Desp H-wives" sunday night and now CSI on thursday. Case in point:

"CSI" was set to record last week @ 8PM (CST) and "ER" at 9PM on another station. Both have been set in fav's for years. The season premier of CSI ran long for first time to 9:01PM. So friday night, checked Sage and ER was only prog recorded, no CSI. Went and checked guide and sure enough, CSI was blocked white so should have recorderm no??? But the show was not available for viewing - clicked on the box and it just prompted for Recording Options, no Watch Now. I have now padded CSI to run over 1 min. I dont care about the first min of ER (heh wife's show) so this week if it runs long, it should record.

I will try to log. You think that since this is my original wiz.bin (from ver 2.0!!!!) that there maybe a problem? I have about 50 Fav's setup to record, fwiw.

Thanks,
Old 10-14-2008, 01:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
"CSI" was set to record last week @ 8PM (CST) and "ER" at 9PM on another station. Both have been set in fav's for years. The season premier of CSI ran long for first time to 9:01PM. So friday night, checked Sage and ER was only prog recorded, no CSI.
That sounds right, there should have been a conflict raised that CSI could not be recorded due to a scheduling conflict.

Quote:
Went and checked guide and sure enough, CSI was blocked white so should have recorderm no???
No, white outline just means it's a Favorite.

Quote:
I have now padded CSI to run over 1 min. I dont care about the first min of ER (heh wife's show) so this week if it runs long, it should record.
That won't work, if you want the first minute of ER skipped, you'll need to set 1 minute of negative padding on the start of ER.

Quote:
I will try to log. You think that since this is my original wiz.bin (from ver 2.0!!!!) that there maybe a problem?
Nope, sounds like Sage is working just as intended. Check the recording conflicts screen.

It's also possible that it didn't raise a conflict and is instead planning on recording another airing within the guide data.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Stanger:

Thanks for the help.

Well it never prompts for a recording conflict on progs that go over by 1 min. And, in the past, I have never had to set neg padding on previous versions. I swear, this has worked last year (season) where on back to back only the earlier show needed to pad. This seems counter-intuitive when you use neg pad. Should be either/or on back to back favs. Meaning, either put in a radio button that allowas for the longer show to be run long then switch to next fav with out the deletion of the first show. Just my advice from a user stand point. Put that as a general option somewheres. Having to adjust start/stop times is a pain in the arse.

The only recording conflicts (lil yellow box shows up) I get is when say the Office Fav is opposite CSI FAV on Thursday nights.

-Cab
Old 10-14-2008, 02:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well it never prompts for a recording conflict on progs that go over by 1 min. And, in the past, I have never had to set neg padding on previous versions. I swear, this has worked last year (season) where on back to back only the earlier show needed to pad.
If they're really back to back (same channel) the logic works a bit differently, Sage can skip padding and record both then.

Quote:
This seems counter-intuitive when you use neg pad.
What do you mean, two shows overlap by "x" minutes. They can't both be recorded (assuming you don't have enough tuners). Thus if you want those "x" minutes skipped in one show, you have to tell Sage to start late or end early.

Quote:
Should be either/or on back to back favs. Meaning, either put in a radio button that allowas for the longer show to be run long then switch to next fav with out the deletion of the first show.
I'm pretty sure Sage doesn't record and then delete the first one.

Quote:
Just my advice from a user stand point. Put that as a general option somewheres. Having to adjust start/stop times is a pain in the arse.
Easiest solution is to get more tuners. I believe the "only" reason you've got this problem is because the two shows are on different networks. There's no intelligent way for Sage to "skip" part of one favorite in leu of another.

Quote:
The only recording conflicts (lil yellow box shows up) I get is when say the Office Fav is opposite CSI FAV on Thursday nights.
If you're not seeing a conflict raised, it's very possible that Sage found an alternate airing of CSI to record at a later date.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Stanger:

I remember awhile back testing the deletion of the show. During th emiddle, I flipped over to sage and sure enough showed to be recording show. That show was 61 min. Next day, sure fire, the only show left in Recordings was the program that started later. the one I tuned into the night before, was gone!!!

Regrading the overlap, what i am suggesting is you make a global option to where either the early program records long and cuts off second fav recordings early time, e.g. "On Back To Back Fav Recordings - set to earliest Fav runs long and later Fav starts later" or "the converse"

Regarding the dual turner - I have a post in the hardware section attempting to do this with an HVR 1600. But I am running into a smill nit on that also!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Regrading the overlap, what i am suggesting is you make a global option to where either the early program records long and cuts off second fav recordings early time, e.g. "On Back To Back Fav Recordings - set to earliest Fav runs long and later Fav starts later" or "the converse"

!
This to me is a waste of programming time. With so many other things that would make Sage better, and with the cost of a second tuner running at $50-60, it seems to me the logical choice is to just buy another tuner.

As for shows, CSI is usually replayed (or at least it used to be) on one of the cable channels on Satuday night (I think its FX). Could it be that Sage just saw the issue with CSI and ER and just chose to record ER on Thursday and then set a recording for Saturday night? Did you check to your future recordings?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 10-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

paulbeers:

Regarding your comment about adding another tuner - some people have whats known as a SFF. google it. In addition, adding another card presents a potential for discombobulation of the entire setup - or at least a long weekend messing on the pc i.l.o playing with the kids. Morevoer, I got Sage because of the cost factor vs TiVo (ala late 2003) and because of its homegrown flexibilty. The software should adapt, not the other way around! I shouldn't have to spend more bread on the situation. I spent enough when I bought Sage. Twice.

D-no about the re-broadcast, but I don't think so. I will test later when I get home. NBC is terrible about the 1 min overhang so it shouldn't be hard to replicate for an upcoming program.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Your issue doesn't qualify as "back to back", since they're on different networks. Sage already removes padding on "back to back" favorites on the same channel.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Stanger:

Ahh. So back to back Favs only mean Favs on the same logical channel. Thats weird nomenclature. But I get it now. What I am requesting is a setting for B to B Favs on ANY channel.

Good point!

Thanks
Old 10-14-2008, 07:11 PM
SageTVaholic

That still wouldn't really solve the problem, your problem is you've got two scheduled airings that overlap. Logically/programatically it's no different than two hour shows overlapping by a half hour. The problem is how much do you allow to be skipped before raising an 1 minute, 5, 30? Would it vary from favorite to favorite?

I understand the desire for a "one button" solution to your problem, but I just don't think there is one. Adding the ability parts of recordings skipped would seem to open a pandoras box of confusion, not to mention scheduling complexity.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
paulbeers:

Regarding your comment about adding another tuner - some people have whats known as a SFF. google it. .

I know what a SFF is. HDHomerun. Google it. Hauppauge HVR950. Google it.

As far as adding another tuner....it takes about 30 minutes. It's a matter of plugging it in. Maybe adding a splitter and install the software....Seems like this would be the ultimate in problem solved.

Problem solved.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 10-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Paulbeers:

meh. To each his own, tool.

Stanger:

Maybe, but a global setting is way easier than setting individual fav padding times. Just creating a logical setup routine might take some thought, but it shouldn't be hard to write it up as a menu item. Just my 2 cents!

-Cab