SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

NO USB UIRT Configuration Controls in SAGE!!!!

I purchased a USB UIRT to use with a Hauppauge 45 Button Remote and Sage TV 4.6.8.

So I configured Sage to use the USB UIRT with any remote and learned all the commands.

I noticed that I had to push each button twice to get a single command and then went into the learn menu and realized that each button has 2 distict command codes. 1 Code for a single push and a second code for a second push.

Looking through the Sage Manual, all Sage Setup Menus and the Sage Properties files I could not find anythink to limit a button to a single command.

But I did notice that I could link a single sage command to 2 distict codes. So I had to link each Sage Command to each button twice. Then you could see 2 different codes in the link for that command.

This looks like a USB UIRT issue since I could see the same effect with 3 different remotes I tried with Sage.

There is no control of the USB UIRT to disable this 2 commands for each button. There is no control in Sage to disable this 2 commands for each button.

If anyone knows otherwise I would appreciate input. Its just that I am getting frustrated with debugging every vendors drivers and software.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

I ran into the same thing when I configured my USB-UIRT.
I think this is more a function of the remote than the UIRT. The remote is using the RC5 protocol which as I recall uses alternating codes with each button press.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPCGUY View Post
I purchased a USB UIRT to use with a Hauppauge 45 Button Remote and Sage TV 4.6.8.

So I configured Sage to use the USB UIRT with any remote and learned all the commands.

I noticed that I had to push each button twice to get a single command and then went into the learn menu and realized that each button has 2 distict command codes. 1 Code for a single push and a second code for a second push.

Looking through the Sage Manual, all Sage Setup Menus and the Sage Properties files I could not find anythink to limit a button to a single command.
You wouldn't want to, what you're seeing is how the Hauppauge remote (hardware) works. The remote toggles, each button sends two codes and they alternate which coded is sent each time you hit the button. You need to learn each button twice or every other time you hit the button Sage will ignore it.

Sounds like everything is working perfectly to me.

Quote:
This looks like a USB UIRT issue since I could see the same effect with 3 different remotes I tried with Sage.
It's not a UIRT issue, the UIRT just passes the raw IR codes on to Sage. What you're seeing in Sage is exactly what the UIRT is receiving.

Quote:
There is no control of the USB UIRT to disable this 2 commands for each button. There is no control in Sage to disable this 2 commands for each button.
Because those are the command coming from the remote, there's nothing you can do about it other than use a remote which doesn't do that.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Stranger

You may be right but I am not sure. I tested a 10 year Old Panasonic Remote for Replay DVR and it had 2 different codes for subsequent button pushes with the USB UIRT. Then I tested my new Vizio remote and it did the same thing.

Then I tried my StreamZAP.

The Streamzap remote with the StreamZAP IR has one code for each button as I do multiple learns in Sage.

However, when I used the StreamZap remote with the USB UIRT it then had 2 different codes for each button push.

Therefore I can conclude that the USB UIRT or its drivers adds this capability to distinguish between pushes of a single button.

But more importantly it is not time dependand. If I press button 'A' and get code '1' then I could wait 5 minutes and press 'A' again and then get code '2'. In other words all buttons can be toggle switches.

So I could assign Sage Recodings and Sage Program Guide to the same button and it would toggle between those sceens as I press one button.

So this is a feature of the USB UIRT and it would be nice if it was documented somewhere.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Administrator

No one else gave you a different answer because Stanger is right.

Toggling IR codes are all over the forum. You don't see toggling codes with some receivers because that software recognizes and handles the toggle in a special way, one of which is to help distinguish between holding a button down & pressing it repeatedly. Not all remotes use toggle codes, so you won't see multiple codes for the same button on some remotes.

The USB-UIRT receives the raw IR codes & reports them to the app using it. For toggling IR codes, learn the buttons twice for each command, making sure not to press another remote button between each press or it will reset & send the first code again.

Of course, I think Stanger already said all of what I just said...

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPCGUY View Post
You may be right but I am not sure. I tested a 10 year Old Panasonic Remote for Replay DVR and it had 2 different codes for subsequent button pushes with the USB UIRT. Then I tested my new Vizio remote and it did the same thing.

Then I tried my StreamZAP.

The Streamzap remote with the StreamZAP IR has one code for each button as I do multiple learns in Sage.
The streamzap has very "special" drivers that by default only respond to it's codes, it does a lot of processing on IR. So you can't rely on what you get from it to tell you how the remote actually works.

Quote:
However, when I used the StreamZap remote with the USB UIRT it then had 2 different codes for each button push.

Therefore I can conclude that the USB UIRT or its drivers adds this capability to distinguish between pushes of a single button.
It's the remote, not the UIRT.

Quote:
But more importantly it is not time dependand. If I press button 'A' and get code '1' then I could wait 5 minutes and press 'A' again and then get code '2'. In other words all buttons can be toggle switches.
Yes, that's exactly how the RC5 protocol works. Each button is assigned two codes and it alternates between them each time you hit the button.

[QUOTE]So I could assign Sage Recodings and Sage Program Guide to the same button and it would toggle between those sceens as I press one button.

Quote:
So this is a feature of the USB UIRT and it would be nice if it was documented somewhere.
It's the remote.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Sage Icon

RC5, stanger is right and if you want more controls use EventGhost or Girder.

I do like the way the hauppauge remote feels though so I do like using them.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Manual For Remotes

Here is what USB UIRT should add as a manual.

This USB UIRT is capable of receiving all IR signals from remotes up to 56Khz. This range covers the vast majority of all remotes manufactured to date.

It should be noted that Many Remotes send two different codes for each button. For example when you press button '1' the first time it sends code 3056721 and when you press button '1' again it sends 308263. When using this type of (toggling) remote and interfacing with control software such as Girder or Sage then you need to learn each button twice (for each code).

------------------

Having an extensive forum full of topics is most helpful when you have the right search terms.

Forums should never be used as an excuse for poor documentation.
Satelite: Dish VIP622 Bronze HD Pacakge, HD PVR Rev E1 1.5.6.1
TV1: Vizio 42" LCD 1080P 60HZ, Sage HD200, Yamaha 6.1
TV2: Samsung 26" LCD720P 60HZ, Sage HD200, TV Sound
Network: Airlink 300N to DLINK DAP-1522 to Sage HD200
Old 10-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

I use the MX500 so for me the Hauppage remote toggles were great! I had a chance to double the number of commands I could use. I do agree with OldPCGUY that this shold be documented. I too was very frustrated when trying to setup for the first time until I figured this out.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

It'd be nice if it was documented somewhere on the USB-UIRT site, certainly. I definitely agree with that. Should, well, I guess it depends on who you ask, eh?

I had the same issues you both faced when setting up my remote, but it didn't frustrate or bother me in the least. When I noticed it, I just fixed it. No problem.

I didn't need a manual to help me fix it, simple observation was enough to tell me that pressing the button once worked, but pressing it again didn't. Once I noticed that, fixing it was easy.

But I agree, having a note somewhere on the USB-UIRT homepage is a real good suggestion as a "like to have." Maybe someone should suggest it to the guy who makes the USB-UIRT or perhaps post this "request" on his forum?

You want frustrating, I've been trying for months to figure out how to get EventGhost to control VLC using the VLC plugin, but cannot figure it out. And, I'm following the directions, and they don't seem to work. Now, for me, that's frustrating (having directions that don't work for me). LOL

Cheers

Last edited by steven017; 10-28-2008 at 09:17 PM.