SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Sage User

Unhappy Newbie questions.

I new to PVRs so I apologize if my questions are simple. I am trying to build a PVR using Sage TV and my questions are about which hardware to buy. For now I do not plan on doing anything with HD.

Here is what I know / have so far.
FIOS SD Set top box or DCT700 ( SD / analog)
47" RCA crt TV with coax, composite and component inputs.
1 IBM xSeries server (model 306m), 1 full, 1 half PCI, 10/100/1000 BaseT
connected to a 2.8Tb ATABOY2 external SCSI array.

The server is in the basement so I would run the cable (FIOS) to a set top box near there and connect it to (your suggestion for SD capture card with hardware mpeg 2 here) controlled by an IR blaster.

So basically, What would be a good PCI card (or external USB) for SD (analog)? I have an external ADS Instant DVD 2.0 that I have been playing around with and it can capture analog from the set top box but the quality is not that great (even for analog). I will be using a set top box which will need to be controlled by an IR blaster (either on the capture card or and external USB blaster).

Next, I would like to connect via ethernet (not wifi) to a media extender (SageHD or MVP?) so that I can control / watch SageTV on the TV. Can the Sage HD Extender still deliver analog content? The ports on the back of it suggest it can but I want to be sure.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited by rabbit; 10-30-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I new to PVRs so I apologize if my questions are simple. I am trying to build a PVR using Sage TV and my questions are about which hardware to buy. For now I do not plan on doing anything with HD.

Here is what I know / have so far.
FIOS SD Set top box or DCT700 ( SD / analog)
47" RCA crt TV with coax, composite and component inputs.
1 IBM xSeries server (model 306m), 1 full, 1 half PCI, 10/100/1000 BaseT
connected to a 2.8Tb ATABOY2 external SCSI array.

The server is in the basement so I would run the cable (FIOS) to a set top box near there and connect it to (your suggestion for SD capture card with hardware mpeg 2 here) controlled by an IR blaster.

So basically, What would be a good PCI card (or external USB) for SD (analog)? I have an external ADS Instant DVD 2.0 that I have been playing around with and it can capture analog from the set top box but the quality is not that great (even for analog). I will be using a set top box which will need to be controlled by an IR blaster (either on the capture card or and external USB blaster).

Next, I would like to connect via ethernet (not wifi) to a media extender (SageHD or MVP?) so that I can control / watch SageTV on the TV. Can the Sage HD Extender still deliver analog content? The ports on the back of it suggest it can but I want to be sure.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks!
Finding an Analog only PCI card will be difficult. I would highly recommend going with something like the Hauppauge HVR1600. It has both an analog mpeg2 encoder and the ability to capture digital streams (HD) via QAM or OTA. This will allow you to use two tuners (maybe capture OTA HD channels via an antenna) and Sage will be able to combine both capture devices into one Guide.

As for extenders, I would highly recommend the SageHD extender if you can wait the month or so to get one. This way even if you don't go HD now, you are future proofed for later. The MediaMVP is a fine device (I have 3 of them), but the HD100 is soo much better (I also have 3 of them). Just my .02 worh though.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 10-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Sage User

I agree about the SageHD extender.

Thats the only piece in the puzzle that I thought might be good to future proof. Do you know how it does the H.264 decoding for HD or are H.264 files just passed through the HMDI port and the TV decodes them? If so, assuming I had an HD source (HD settop) would I still be able to record in HD and play through the extender to my analog tv?

I told myself I wasn't going to go down the HD path LOL.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thats the only piece in the puzzle that I thought might be good to future proof. Do you know how it does the H.264 decoding for HD or are H.264 files just passed through the HMDI port and the TV decodes them? If so, assuming I had an HD source (HD settop) would I still be able to record in HD and play through the extender to my analog tv?

Yes it will play h.264 files. In fact the HDPVR is a device used to record HD from STB's and it records in h.264 format. The HD100 plays back these files just fine. In fact I am watching a movie recorded in h.264 right now thru the HD100. As far as playing HD on an SD television, yes it can do it no problem. I haven't tried it but many have with very good results.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 10-30-2008, 05:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thats the only piece in the puzzle that I thought might be good to future proof. Do you know how it does the H.264 decoding for HD or are H.264 files just passed through the HMDI port and the TV decodes them?
The Extender is based on a Sigma Designs SOC that does all the decoding. HDMI doesn't support compressed video.

Quote:
If so, assuming I had an HD source (HD settop) would I still be able to record in HD and play through the extender to my analog tv?
It will output almost any resolution you want, it has S/Video and Composite outputs for SDTVs too.

Quote:
Why is that?