SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Sage User

Two Extenders ... One has the Hiccups (SPIDF Audio Skips )

I have two media extenders. The SPIDF audio out is not working correctly for one of them. The Audio Skips during playback of music and video. It has always skipped when playing Music Files. Since I rarely listen to music I just figured it was a network issue and decided not to try to fix it since the video was playing fine. But recently it started skipping during playing of videos. I just couldn't take that. It seems to correct itself after about an hour. The first hour the audio will skip and after about an hour of playing it will stop skipping and play fine.

After coming to the conclusion that it was not a network issue, I decided to switch the extender with the extender that was in my bedroom. Both have the latest firmware. Both also have SPIDF audio selected as the output. Basically everything is the same. When I switched them out everything played fine. The same files I was trying to play before played perfectly, audio and video.

I have even tried 3 different audio receivers. One extender plays fine with all 3 the other one skips.

The extender that skips over the SPIDF plays fine via analog so I have actually moved that box to my bedroom which does not have a receiver.
Both are playing fine now. However, I'd like to fix it cause you never know when i'll need to use the SPIDF on that box.

I think this is a hardware issue with the box that skips. Does anyone konw of anything else I can check to see if it isn't a hardware issue?
My receivers don't have HDMI so I'm unable to try out HDMI.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have / had this same issue. I just switched to using analog b/c there didn't seem to be much (any?) audio quality differences.

Does a MVP pass surround sound through SPDIF (if it's encoded in the avi file)?

Thanks.

Todd