SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV United Kingdom
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV United Kingdom SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the UK - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in the UK.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Sage User

Question Dual EPG, plus other questions

Hi All,

I am totally new to SageTV - and have some questions which will probably take me way over my head very quickly!

I have dedicated headless media server pc in the cellar - which I initially bought intending to install Linuxmce.. then finally gave up on and went the windows route.

I am currently using VMC with wired Linksys Media Centre extenders and an Xbox 360, but am getting p'd off with the limitations (EPG, no VOB playback on extenders etc).

I have been reading some of the posts here, and Sage looks like it may fill some of my requirements nicely, however I do have some questions.

1) I live in Switzerland, but receive UK Sky channels via Sky digibox(es) (connected via S-Video - and controlled with a Heenan USB control box (http://www.heenan.me.uk/control-sky-from-pc/))
This works ok, however, I also want to add the Swiss OTA via cable line up (all analog at the moment), with EPG. VMC does not like running 2 EPG's in parallel.

Q: Will Sage allow me to run a EPG for UK Sky for 1 Tuner card, and another EPG with a totally different lineup on a analog card?

2) VOB Playback, I have loads of DVD's which I would like to centralize, and be able to play back from any of the extenders I will rip them to VOB if necessary.
Q: Multi language is a big requirement for me - can I select audio streams and subtitles?

3) I have read on these forums about these DBV-S decoders with a CAM - which allows to receive Sky directly, bypassing the Digibox - this sounds fantastic!
To get the standard FTA Sky channels, so I need anything special? or can I just plug in and go? Any recommendations for a tuner card / cam?

4) HD Channels - While I have no real requirements in this area at the moment (Sky picture quality is 100x better than the Swiss ota stuff, so I feel like I have HD already with SD sky)
What can I get in HD for free? is anything broadcast via Sky? Again, what hardware would I need to buy to future proof my investment a little?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give!

Will
Old 11-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
1) Yes not a problem, I have two sources and thus two epg's.

2) I'm not sure about this, but I'm pretty sure languages & subtitles are selectable for DVD vob files. (Video_TS/Audio_TS folders)

3) For the standard FTA $ky or Freesat channels you dont need anything special. Just plug the cable in the PCI card directly. I use Nova DVB-S cards without issue, however they dont allow me to add cams so NO subscription channels can be seen.

4) No free HD channels from $ky but a few are available from Freesat, BBC HD, ITV HD & Luxe HD if you can call that a channel.

Proberly best to try the trial version of Sage and see if it meets your requirements.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

I also tried linuxmce, but after months of tweaking, I could never get it to work for longer than 3 days without needing reboot. I looked at loads of Windows alternatives, and eventually chose sage. It's far superior

If there are different audio tracks on a dvd then yes, you can select your required track. And Just to test out subtitles, I'm currently watching 'Contact' with Arabic subtitles. Works perfectly

I use a Technotrend S2 sky card which comes with a common interface. Combined with an Oasis 2 CAM, that decodes my encrypted channels. But every few weeks you have to put it back into your sky box overnight to keep your encrypted channels working.
Antec Sonata III, Abit AN-M2HD, AMD 4200+, Thermalright SI-128 Cooler, 2GB OCZ DDR2, 2x500Gb + 1x1Tb Samsung Spinpoint SATA II, Hauppauge Nova-T500, Technotrend 3200-S2 with CI, Oasis II CAM. Windows XP Home SP3, Logitech Harmony 525. Logitech DiNovo Edge
Old 11-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the responses guys - very useful.

I have now ordered one of these : TERRATEC Cinergy S2 PCI HD - DVB-S & DVB-S2 HDTV receiver
It's not on the list of approved tuner cards for Sage.. but it was the only HD tuner they had in my local(ish) store.. and it supports a CAM.. so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

John, when you say Technotrend S2 Sky card.. I hope I don't have to buy a special "Sky card" do i? (sinking feeling returns..)
In any case, freesat will be fine for me.. The only show I watch is Top Gear!
Old 11-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sorry, I should have said DVB-S card. I'm sure what you've ordered will be fine.
Oh, and Top Gear rules!
Antec Sonata III, Abit AN-M2HD, AMD 4200+, Thermalright SI-128 Cooler, 2GB OCZ DDR2, 2x500Gb + 1x1Tb Samsung Spinpoint SATA II, Hauppauge Nova-T500, Technotrend 3200-S2 with CI, Oasis II CAM. Windows XP Home SP3, Logitech Harmony 525. Logitech DiNovo Edge
Old 12-22-2008, 06:44 AM
Sage User

Dual EPG lineup - using XMLTV?

Your dual lineups. Where are you getting the data from - is it xmltv?

If so, how've you got it to use two xmltv data sources? The last time I tried using dual xmltv lineups, the xml importer bombed out every time.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

It works fine for me with xmltv and Stephane's XMLTV Importer.

In the "XMLTV Files and grabber" section, just create 2 sources.

For example :
Source 1
Source Name : French XML
XMLTV file : C:\xmltvnew\epgdataf.xml
Grabber : C:\xmltvnew\xmltv.exe
Arguments : tv_grab_fr --days 8 --output epgdataf.xml

Source 2
Source Name : UK XML
XMLTV file : C:\xmltvnew\epgdatauk.xml
Grabber : C:\xmltvnew\xmltv.exe
Arguments : tv_grab_uk_rt --days 8 --output epgdatauk.xml
Server : Asus M4A79XTD Evo / AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz / 4Gb RAM / Win 10 64-bit / Cinergy 2400iDT (French Freeview - TNT) / 2 * Hauppauge NOVA-HD-S2 (UK Sky) / TT CT-3650 CI / HDD : 4.5 To / Sage V7 / XMLTV Importer / EPG from WebGrabPlus+/ LM DVB Recorder for all tuners / 2 Clients : STP-HD300
Old 12-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones View Post
2) VOB Playback, I have loads of DVD's which I would like to centralize, and be able to play back from any of the extenders I will rip them to VOB if necessary.
Q: Multi language is a big requirement for me - can I select audio streams and subtitles?
I have centralised VOBs on my HTPC and I can change audio between French/English. I have not tried the subtitles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones View Post
4) HD Channels - While I have no real requirements in this area at the moment (Sky picture quality is 100x better than the Swiss ota stuff, so I feel like I have HD already with SD sky)
What can I get in HD for free? is anything broadcast via Sky? Again, what hardware would I need to buy to future proof my investment a little?
Will
There are 3 channels in HD on Sky Freesat (BBC HD, ITV HD and Luxe HD? ). The only one I watch is BBC HD.
Server : Asus M4A79XTD Evo / AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz / 4Gb RAM / Win 10 64-bit / Cinergy 2400iDT (French Freeview - TNT) / 2 * Hauppauge NOVA-HD-S2 (UK Sky) / TT CT-3650 CI / HDD : 4.5 To / Sage V7 / XMLTV Importer / EPG from WebGrabPlus+/ LM DVB Recorder for all tuners / 2 Clients : STP-HD300