SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

usbuirt vista and sage service mode

Hello - I'm having the same issue posted by samgreco on the usbuirt forum here: here

Quote:
Has anyone run into this? Or is anyone even using this setup?

I have my USB-UIRT connected to my SageTV server running Vista. This is a new install of Vista and a "restore" of SageTV from my previous XP install. I really only copied the WIZ.BIN from the old install. So it's really a fresh install.

If I run SageTV in service mode, the USB-UIRT will EITHER receive signals OR send, but never both. Usually, it will send and not receive. This all worked flawlessly on XP (I know, I know, but I've gone down the path). I am hoping to solve this as everything else is working quite well.

If I run SageTV NOT in service mode, everything works as expected.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Any one know if there is a solution or am I SOL?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:43 AM
SageTVaholic

I believe for this to be working properly in service mode the service must be set to use the same Windows user as the one which is used to load the local client. First, set a password on the login you want to use. Stop the service. Set the username and password the service is to run under. Start the service. It should be fine. If you'd like to have the user automatically log in you can use TweakUI to set the default user and password to login on boot.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the reply - that's how I already had it setup in xp because I have my sage server accessing UNC paths.

This does not work for me in vista however - it works fine when using client mode only, but when using service mode either sage can change channels, and I can't use my remote in sage - or I can use the remote but sage can't change channels - doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for either scenario.

It sucks because everything that I'm having issues with in xp - tearing specifically, goes away in vista.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Turn off UAC.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

For what it's worth, I have the same issue and I have UAC off. I gave up a few months ago and just run in client mode. . .
Old 11-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

yep turning off uac was the first thing I did. running in client mode is unacceptable for me - I use placeshifter
Old 11-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

looks like I'm wrong about needing to run a service to have placeshifter work - if what I just read is right. Even still running as a service is the most comfortable way to do it - exiting in and out of the ui without thought is also paramount for me.

just wish stuff would just work the way it 's supposed to sometimes!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Sage User

I have the same issue too. No UAC, tried the local logon.

If I go to the tuner settings when in service mode the usbuirt settings page is blank but the status says I am using.

Runs like it should in client mode.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Alright, I just emailed sage and usbuirt support pointing out this thread and describing the problem.

If anyone else has this problem please speak up - maybe they'll take notice.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

I just got his email back from George at sage support:

Quote:
Make sure you are using the current Vista drivers.
http://www.usbuirt.com/support.htm

And make sure to try this as well. Go to your control panel > Administrative
Tools > Services. Look for the SageTV service and double click on it to
configure it. Go to the "Log On" tab and check the box to "Allow service to
interact with desktop".
I'm going to try this as soon as I can get vista back onto the box - if this works for anyone please report back
Old 11-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Sage User

My USBUIRT is working fine in Vista running in service mode. I did have it stop when I upgraded to one of the 6.3 betas, so I rolled back and it began working again. I upgraded to 6.4 when it was released and didn't have any problems with it. I do have my Vista system set to auto logon, however, by running netplwiz, so that may be preventing me from experiencing the issue.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Sage Expert

BUMP, as this may be the same problem I'm having. I'm not 100% sure, because this is the first time I've used USB-UIRT, so I could just be configuring it wrong. But...

In service mode, I was getting an error just trying to setup my HD PVR as a source using the USB-UIRT to change channels. When I would try to select the USB-UIRT, it would give me an error instead of asking me to setup a new device.

So I switched to non-service mode (which I REALLY don't want to use) and I was able to setup everything properly. It let me setup a new device for my Dish box and learn the commands for it. (I'm having another problem with this aspect that's preventing me from actually changing channels that I'll detail in another thread, but I'm able to "test" the signals and the sat box receives them fine, and I don't think it's the same issue as this thread discusses).

So in non-service mode now, I can see the USB-UIRT, I can learn or re-learn commands, I can switch to a different tuning plugin if I want, etc.

When I switch over to service mode, I still see the USB-UIRT tuning device (which I've named DishVIP211) as the tuning device on the HD PVR info page. But if I select it, there's actually nothing there. There are no learned commands listed, I can't try to learn a new command or it gives me an error, I can't switch to a different tuning device b/c there are none (including even the DishVIP211) listed.

Why would this be different between service mode and non-service mode?

EDIT: I filed a bug with Sage about this, but was told I need to contact USB-UIRT support about it.

Last edited by popechild; 12-05-2008 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 01-30-2009, 02:15 PM

Me too

For what its worth, I'm seeing the same problem with usbuirt using sage as a service in Vista32. Receive works fine but won't transmit unless I turn off the service and run the client app.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Sage Expert

And for what it's worth, I never did get this working. I am still running in non-service mode.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:53 AM
Sage User

Is there any news on a fix for this problem. I would love to use placeshifter and extenders in sage but I can't get service mode to run right.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

I finally split the sending and receivign functions. I use the USB-UIRT to blast to my cable box and I have a old MCE receiver which I use to receive the commands from my remote. Its kinda lame to have to do this but it works.

Hopefully someday Sage will figure it out.