SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-25-2008, 04:41 PM
SageTVaholic

How to stop unwanted channel change?

I've looked thru the manual and couldn't find an answer (maybe I didn't know how to word the question).

When I'm watching a recording, if I stop it, my satellite receiver changes channels to the channel from which that particular recording was made.

For e.g. - I'm watching a BBC America recording, but my satellite receiver is currently on HBO. If I stop the BBC recording, by receiver changes channels from HBO to BBC America, which I don't want to happen.

Is there anyway to stop SageTV from changing channels when you stop playing a recording?

And one other component to this....when I stop the recording from BBC (for e.g.), and after the receiver automatically changes to BBC, I cannot get back to HBO (or whatever the channel the receiver was sitting on) by pressing the "previous channel" button. If I hit the previous channel button, I end up with the BBC recording. This is all with the Hauppauge PVR 150, btw.

cheers

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-25-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: changes
Old 11-25-2008, 05:21 PM
SageTVaholic

When you stop the recording, are you returning to Live TV? Or to the Main Menu with a video preview running in the background or in a window? If the answer to either of these is Yes, that's probably why Sage is changing the channel on your STB.

My other question is why do you care? Are you trying to watch TV through Sage and through your STB at the same time? That's not going to work; once you give Sage control of the STB, it's going to assume it has exclusive rights to it and is free to change the channel as needed to record programs or display Live TV.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
When you stop the recording, are you returning to Live TV? Or to the Main Menu with a video preview running in the background or in a window? If the answer to either of these is Yes, that's probably why Sage is changing the channel on your STB.

My other question is why do you care? Are you trying to watch TV through Sage and through your STB at the same time? That's not going to work; once you give Sage control of the STB, it's going to assume it has exclusive rights to it and is free to change the channel as needed to record programs or display Live TV.
I am stopping a "previously" recorded program, not a recording that is "in progress". And yes, it doesn't matter whether I return to "live tv" or a "menu", the channel always changes to the channel that the stopped recording was made on.

My Tivo doesn't do this - when you stop playback of a recording on a Tivo, the satellite / converter box remains on whatever channel it was on. This is a flaw in SageTV programming, which is why I care.

The only way to stop it is to make sure that you are "recording" the channel that the satellite box is sitting on - that way Sage will not change the channel.

Here's why I care - I have split-feeds of my system running to two different televisions. On one, I can watch the output of the satellite box, while someone else watches a Sage recording on a different set. But when they hit "stop", my channel changes, and it's a drag - that's all.

Since Tivo is the supreme-being of DVR's, I don't see why Sage should operate any differently (aka aspire to compete with the best). Unless there's a good reason - and so far, I can't find a good reason for SageTV to change channels when not asked to do so.

thanks - and do you know if the programmers have done this on purpose?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Administrator

I'm not clear on your answer regarding how your menus are configured: do you have SageTV set to always show video on menus, either in a preview window or as the background? I can't think of a reason for it to change the channel like that unless it is recording something to show to you 'live' on the menus.

Use the Options command on the Main Menu -- what are the Video Menu OIptions settings?

Are you using a custom user interface?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I'm not clear on your answer regarding how your menus are configured: do you have SageTV set to always show video on menus, either in a preview window or as the background? I can't think of a reason for it to change the channel like that unless it is recording something to show to you 'live' on the menus.

Use the Options command on the Main Menu -- what are the Video Menu OIptions settings?

Are you using a custom user interface?

- Andy
Weird, eh? Always show videos on menus is selected - and no, other than a CC app for muting audio, my setup is fairly stock. It's always done this, and it drives my nuts. And it acts the opposite of what you suggest: If I "am" recording something, then the channel can't change after stopping playback of a previous recording. If I stop playback of a previous recording and I don't have a current recording in progress, the channel changes to that of the channel from the just-stopped playback item.

I can't figure it out in the least.

ps - if I watch a video from the "Media Center" library of Sage, then, and only then, can I stop playback of an item without the satellite receiver changing channels by itself.

and...lets say I'm watching a recording - if I don't "stop" it, but instead call up the guide, the guide lists the highlighted channel as the one that the recording was made from, no matter how long ago the recording was made. There must be method to this, but for the life of me I can't grasp it - too much Tivo progrmming in my head I guess.

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-26-2008 at 02:36 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Check the "Always tune channel" setting under Detailed Setup > Customize. I'm betting you have it turned on. So when you stop playback and return to a menu, Sage retunes the channel (per the "Always tune channel" setting) in order to show video in the menu.

Now you might think you could solve the problem by turning "Always tune channel" off. So when Sage returns to a menu, it won't need to retune the channel in order to show background video. But here's the catch: Sage will think it knows what channel it's tuned to, but it will be wrong (because you've manually changed the channel out from under it). So if the next scheduled recording happens to be on the channel Sage thinks it's tuned to, it won't retune the channel (because you've told it not to) and will record the wrong program.

So for correct recording in Sage, you need to either stop changing STB channels manually, or else leave "Always tune channel" enabled.

(I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing Tivo will be just as confused if you change the STB channel out from under it.)
Old 11-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Always show videos on menus is selected
That's the issue -- change that to either Never or If Active.

You are currently telling SageTV that you want to always view video on the menus, but if there is nothing playing, it has to start something. And, if there are no current recordings, then it has to start one so there is something to play. And, if it has to start one, it has to set the channel for the recording.

BTW: I could be wrong, but I don't think the "Always tune channel" option will affect this. If that option is off, it is supposed to base the tuning decision on the channel of the last recording for the tuner to be used, not the last recording watched.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks, I'll try this - Sage also wants me to send some log info to them, so it may be something that's correctable.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:31 PM
SageTVaholic

unwanted channel changing - how to stop?

Sorry, I had this problem a while ago but can't find the thread.

So, I'm watching, for example, channel 700 in Sage (live tv).

I play a recording that was recorded from channel 200.

When I go back to live tv, Sage changes the channel from 700 to 200.

Is there anyway to stop that so I just go back to the channel I was watching before I sampled either my recordings or media dirs?

thanks

* merged; use 'Your Topics' at the top of every forum page *
Old 09-10-2009, 10:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Sorry, I had this problem a while ago but can't find the thread.

So, I'm watching, for example, channel 700 in Sage (live tv).

I play a recording that was recorded from channel 200.

When I go back to live tv, Sage changes the channel from 700 to 200.

Is there anyway to stop that so I just go back to the channel I was watching before I sampled either my recordings or media dirs?

thanks

* merged; use 'Your Topics' at the top of every forum page *

P.S. - thanks for finding this thread - I searched and came up blank - good one. I'll see if I can finally get this corrected.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:41 AM
SageTVaholic

As to your current question, I don't believe there is a way to change it's behavior. the 'LiveTV' option in Sage always defaults to viewing the last watched channel, regardless of whether that last channel was watched live or recorded.

If you are still having problems with trying to use a single STB with both Sage AND a live TV, you are going to continue to have them, as sage is really not designed for this. There are no provisions in the system to do this, as sage will always try to control the channel that the STB is tuned to. Ideally, in a situation such as this (wanting to share a single STB with two tv's, you really should be using an extender at the second tv. This will allow watching of recorded tv on either, or live tv on either (within the limitation that it can only record/live-view one program at a time).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room