SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Backing up SageMC Configuration Files

I'd like to try out some different themes with different menu layouts, but I want to make sure I can get back to my current setup if I screw things up too much. From what I've tried so far, the sagemc.xml file (or whatever its called) doesn't seem to quite store all the configuration information about my setup. What other files do I need to backup so I can easily get back to my current setup?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
I'd like to try out some different themes with different menu layouts, but I want to make sure I can get back to my current setup if I screw things up too much. From what I've tried so far, the sagemc.xml file (or whatever its called) doesn't seem to quite store all the configuration information about my setup. What other files do I need to backup so I can easily get back to my current setup?
To be totally safe you could shut down SageTV and the service and then copy the entire SageTV/SageTV folder, subfolders and files into another location. It's overkill, but it's also saved my rear more then a few times.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
To be totally safe you could shut down SageTV and the service and then copy the entire SageTV/SageTV folder, subfolders and files into another location. It's overkill, but it's also saved my rear more then a few times.
I haven't cleaned out my Sage folder since I first started using Sage in 2003. I know I have backups of Sage.properties dating back to version 2, and it wouldn't surprise me if there's one for version 1.4 in there somewhere. In any case, my Sage folder is several hundred megabytes.

But, its not really necessary to copy over the whole Sage folder. It seems to work to copy over the SageMC folders if all you end up doing is changing around themes. That's a lot smaller. Still, it would kind of be nice to know if there are just 2-3 files that I would need to replace.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:33 PM
SageTVaholic

I've been wondering a similar thing. Every time I go to upgrade Sage or SageMC (once a year, maybe?), I follow the instructions to the letter and still have to figure out how to fix it. Generally, I get the incompatible .jar file message and need to download the full version of SageMC and upgrade again.

What I still can't seem to locate is a set of instructions which explain how to upgrade AND KEEP your current settings. I have SageMC's settings configured how I want them and I have a customized main menu and "my menu". If you follow the upgrade instructions, you lose all of that every time. Then you have to go back through a bunch of threads (or many pages of the new release thread) to find out what files you need to copy back. I just wish the upgrade instructions would also include those steps. If I did this on a semi-regular basis, I'm sure I'd remember, but I don't upgrade all that often and always forget the process.

This isn't a dig against the amazing work those guys do in SageMC. They try like hell to cover everything and everyone and that's no small feat!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 02:29 PM
SageTVaholic

@Skirge01

The default dynamic menu definition file is sagemc_menu.xml in your SageTV directory. This gets overwritten if you install the full package. I recommend that you make a copy of that file with a new name and then load the newly named file in SageMC (through the dynamic menu configuration menu). This way your file will not get overwritten in the future. Other than that, all of your settings should stick.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 12-09-2008, 02:49 PM
SageTVaholic

I may forget the process to upgrade, but I always know to start with backing up my entire SageTV directory. That goes for ANY changes I intend to make.

Where are the settings stored for SageMC's customizations? I'm pretty sure I had to change a bunch of them from their defaults after my upgrade.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
I may forget the process to upgrade, but I always know to start with backing up my entire SageTV directory. That goes for ANY changes I intend to make.

Where are the settings stored for SageMC's customizations? I'm pretty sure I had to change a bunch of them from their defaults after my upgrade.
Everything else is in the .properties file.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 12-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

As an IT Proffessional, I have one word of advice when working on a project like SageTV...

Documentation!

Not by SageTV, but by you the user.

When you change something, write down exactly what you did and store it. When you have more time on your hands go back and re-write it as a step by step guide on how to get your system back the way it was.

Keep all the files you would need either on a disk or a folder on acouple computers. That way you never have to go looking for them again... (especially if they don't exist anymore)

Don't mean to scold, but I see this in the real world too often where something breaks and 16 people are standing there looking at each other asking... "Ok who remembers how we did this?"
Old 12-09-2008, 04:35 PM
SageTVaholic

I work the IT field myself and after doing that all day, every day, I don't feel like documenting when I get home!

As far as the .properties file, I guess that was a misconception of mine. I was thinking that file was overwritten during an upgrade or deleted during an uninstall.

Thanks, guys!