SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Filesystem Access Error on new install

It's been a long time since I've posted. I've been blissfully using Sage V4 for with both a server and client for years without incident on old hardware, until after a recent move my old server refused to post. It served me a well (it was an old PIII 600 Mhz system) but was a sign it was time to move on and upgrade.

So I decided to turn my client machine into the server and downloaded the trial of Sage 6.4. The install went fine, and I'm enjoying the UI animations and enhancements, however after transferring my old files over locally to the new machine I'm getting an error signal saying that Sage can't access the file system for playback. It's doing this for all my .mpg recording files and .mp3 music files. What's strange is that it has no problem playing back ripped DVD's or .mp4 files, when they are on the same drive path. Sage is also displaying the video thumbnails just fine and the music album art, and the file info shows the correct path.

I've searched the forums and it seems others have had this issue and it had to do with file permissions. I've checked that and have full access and none of the volumes are on the network.

When I get home tonight I'm also going to try changing the paths from local drive paths to UNC to see if that fixes the issue, is there anything else I should be trying?

Any help is always appreciated.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

OK, I tried changing everything to UNC paths, still no joy. Any other suggestions?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcuoco View Post
OK, I tried changing everything to UNC paths, still no joy. Any other suggestions?
What OS? Transferred files how?-just copied to the client hard drive? Are all the files now on one single machine?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

WinXP Pro, SP2. I copied the files over to client by simply removing the hard drive (400gb) from the old server and installing it in an open bay on the new one. So yes all the files on on one stand alone system. I'm no longer running a server/client scenario.

I'm able to access the files with WMP, and previously had no issues when this was a client machine. I also gave XBMC a whirl last night and I'm able to view and listen to everything in that with no issues.

I just find it really strange that .mp4 audio and video files work, and ripped DVD's playback just fine as well.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Did the drive letter change as a result of the move? Check the recording detail screen in Sage; it should show the full path where it expctes the file to be. If that path is not valid in your new system, you may need to show Sage an empty folder with that path so it knows to look elsewhere for the file.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

No, the path didn't change. I made sure all the paths remained consistent and removed any links to mapped drives to the old server, prior to moving the drive.

I also checked the file path in the details, and it's correct. It's even generating Thumbnails from the video files, it just won't play them.

I also removed the old wiz.bin and simply imported the old files as generic mpegs into my video library without metadata and still no luck playing them from within Sage.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:32 PM
SageTVaholic

You may have to try this:

Quote:
Prerequisites
Log on as an administrator
You must be logged on to Windows as an administrator in order to change security permissions for a file or a folder. If the computer is your personal computer, you are likely already logged on with an administrator account. If the computer is part of a network at work, you might have to ask the system administrator for help. To verify that you are logged on to Windows with a user account that is a computer administrator, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin (http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin)
Start Windows XP Home Edition in safe mode
If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has administrative rights in order to access the Security tab. Access to the Security tab is required in order to change security permission. If you are running Windows XP Professional, you do not have to start the computer in safe mode. For more information about how to start Windows XP in safe mode, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
304449 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/ ) How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
Disable Simple File Sharing in Windows XP Professional
If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple File Sharing. By default, Windows XP Professional uses Simple File Sharing when it is not joined to a domain. For additional information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307874 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874/ ) How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP

To take ownership of a file or a folder
How to take ownership of a file

You must have ownership of a protected file in order to access it. If another user has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the file by taking ownership.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps:
Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the administrators group now owns the file.
To change the permissions on the file that you now own, follow these steps:
Click Add.
In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to have access to the file. For example, type Administrator.
Click OK.
In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.
You can now access the file.
How to take ownership of a folder
You must have ownership of a protected folder in order to access it. If another user has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the folder by taking ownership.

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:
Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?
All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.
Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 12-10-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks. I'll give this a try if I have time tonight. I appreciate the suggestion.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry, I'm a day behind. I got last minute tickets to the lakers game last night, so I could try this. But I tried tonight and this didn't work either. I'm getting to my wits end. I'm not sure what to try next.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Can you play the file through WMP or Zoom? (i.e. without Sage)?
Intel Xeon L? 32Gb
CetonTV cable card /FIOS
Old 12-12-2008, 07:57 AM
SageTVaholic

If the above didn't fix it then you may want to consider backing those files to a big USB drive that is working with your new server. Then delete the partition on that old 400GB drive, reformat it and then copy the files back. The above should have worked based on symptoms and the additional Knowledgebase articles referenced with it.

Gerry
Old 12-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

MrD, yes the files playback in all other programs other than Sage.

gplasky, it was interesting that after I applied the folder settings and took ownership of the files, Sage tried to load the files for a bit longer before I got the error message. I do have a 500GB usb drive, so I guess I'll have to try that. Thanks for the help.