SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Sage Fanatic

Unhappy No HDMI with HD-200

Hi,

I got my HD-200's yesterday . I finally got a chance to start playing tonight and I have a problem. I hooked it up via HDMI and I got the sage logo screen within a few seconds. After several seconds I lost the logo screen and got no video output at all via HDMI. As per the manual I tried scrolling through the video outs with the remote but had no success. I tried re-setting the HD-200 but had the same results (i.e. logo screen for several seconds and then nothing).

I then tried component and everything worked as it should. I updated the firmware and tried HDMI again. Still nothing.

My tv will accept 480p, 720p, 1080i and a slew of pc resolutions via HDMI, but to narrow things down I set the extender to output 720p only. Still no luck.

Is it normal to get video output via component even though the extender is set for HDMI? The manual states that composite and svid will always output a valid signal but does not mention component.

Does the extender perhaps use some oddball resolution for the ui that my tv is incompatible with via HDMI?

BTW, I bought two units and I have the same problem with both of them.

TIA

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 12-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Hi,

I got my HD-200's yesterday . I finally got a chance to start playing tonight and I have a problem. I hooked it up via HDMI and I got the sage logo screen within a few seconds. After several seconds I lost the logo screen and got no video output at all via HDMI. As per the manual I tried scrolling through the video outs with the remote but had no success. I tried re-setting the HD-200 but had the same results (i.e. logo screen for several seconds and then nothing).

I then tried component and everything worked as it should. I updated the firmware and tried HDMI again. Still nothing.

My tv will accept 480p, 720p, 1080i and a slew of pc resolutions via HDMI, but to narrow things down I set the extender to output 720p only. Still no luck.

Is it normal to get video output via component even though the extender is set for HDMI? The manual states that composite and svid will always output a valid signal but does not mention component.

Does the extender perhaps use some oddball resolution for the ui that my tv is incompatible with via HDMI?

TIA

Jesse
I think that something is strange with the HD200's HDMI signal. I can not get my unit to output any signal (other than the sage logo) to a projector that has a native resolution of 854X480 over HDMI. The extender works okay on a 720p plasma that I have in another room though. My HD100's HDMI works on the projector, but then I have the 'green sparkles' problem.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:18 AM
SageTVaholic

I have a 22" LCD monitor connected via a DVI to HDMI cable to the HD-200. After sleeping the HD-200 and then waking it (power button on remote) the monitor will come up with a rolling or distorted picture that cycles on and off. If I then power off the monitor and then power it back on it syncs with the HD-200 and everything is well. Is this a bug or is it a setting I am missing?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

Early this morning I recalled that our tv will sometimes loose the HDMI signal from the wife's sat receiver when it auto switches its output resolution. When this happens we generally just re-select the HDMI input on the tv and all is well. I tried this with the extender this morning and had no luck.

I also tried power cycling the tv without success. I then tried power cycling the HD-200 without success. I also tried cycling through all the tv's inputs without success.

If it matters, my tv actually has an HDCP ready DVI input and I use an HDMI to DVI cable. This has always worked fine with my pc client for sage and BD playback via Arcsoft as well as my now obsolete HD-DVD player.

Thanks for any help.

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 12-16-2008, 02:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Unhappy

Same issue here. I just responded in another thread about this before I read your post. My HD100 works fine with my TV over HDMI/DVI, but with the HD200 I get the Sage logo then "no signal". So it seems like the HD200 has some problem that I hope someone can track down.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Use the remote that comes with the Sage HD-200. Now look towards the bottom of the remote and locate a button called Video Output. Press that button and cycle thru until you get you screen picture. Now proceed with whatever setup you need to do. Make sure you don't press that button again.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

I had no luck with the picture until I used my own HDMI cable and not the one they provided.

Proud owner of a HD200 connected to a 47" LCD. Loving Sage 7 and Phoenix
Old 12-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Hi,

TIA

Jesse
I had this exact same problem hopefully there will be a permanent solution (I might try RedCoat's suggestion and get another HDMI cable) but I found that once the Sage Logo dissapears if you unplug the HDMI cable and then plug it back in you will get your picture back (as long as the video resolution is set correctly for your TV - ie scrolling through the video outs) I have found that you only have to do this once every time you physically unplug the power cord. Also be warned that sometimes the signal comes in with distorted colors the first time you unplug/plug the cable in. A quick remote control power off then on has always taken care of this for me.

The device is pretty finiky but they really are great once you get through the headaches and get them set up and stable.

HTH and good luck.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kypp View Post
I found that once the Sage Logo dissapears if you unplug the HDMI cable and then plug it back in you will get your picture back (as long as the video resolution is set correctly for your TV - ie scrolling through the video outs) I have found that you only have to do this once every time you physically unplug the power cord.
I just tried this but it didn't work for me.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:54 PM
SageTVaholic

This should be working. I'm using a HDMI to DVI successfully on my setup.

I recommend submitting a support request on this - keep an eye on the forums for a faster solution but it wouldn't hurt to be sure SageTV knows your having the issue.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

No problems here. Yanked the HDMI cable out of the PC and put it in the HD200 and everything worked fine.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll5501 View Post
I just tried this but it didn't work for me.
I guess I should also clarify that you need to unplug the HDMI from the back of the extender not from the back of the TV. Not sure if this is what you did or not but that could be the difference

HTH
Old 12-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just hooked up my HD200 last night via HDMI to the TV for video and Toslink to my receiver for audio. Although it takes a second or two for the HDMI signal to recognize on startup, all seems to be working ok. For those experiencing issues with the HDMI connection, I have a few questions to better understand your problem:

1. What device is being connecting to the HD200 via HDMI? In otherwords, is the HDMI connected directly to a TV, A/V receiver, etc?

2. Is HDMI being used for both audio and video?
Old 12-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Seeing the same issue on a Samsung 24" monitor. HDMI to DVI cable.

It comes up with the logo and the monitor complains it's not the optimum resolution. I used another TV to set up 1080p only output, but the monitor refuses to sync after the logo.

Mark
Old 12-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Sage

We put out a new beta firmware today (20081219 0) which has a 'Force HDMI Display Mode' option in Detailed Setup->Multimedia. Give that a try and see if it helps with your HDMI problem. To get the beta firmware just enter 2382 on the System Update screen.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
We put out a new beta firmware today (20081219 0) which has a 'Force HDMI Display Mode' option in Detailed Setup->Multimedia. Give that a try and see if it helps with your HDMI problem.
It fixed the problem for me.

After setting that option and power-cycling the HD200, I got the SageTV logo and then the screen went into no signal mode (as usual), but after 10-12 seconds the display came back and the extender was at the "Loading graphics" screen. It booted into the standalone menu, and from there I was able to connect to my Sage server and everything seems to be working fine so far.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:52 AM

No HDMI connecting to HD Theater to TV

I'm having the same problem- can't get a display when using an HDMI connection from the HD-200 to the TV. I had a cable box connected via HDMI, and after a simple resolution change, it worked fine. The HD-200 doesn't seem to work at all, even after enabling "Force HDMI" mode and setting the resolutions properly. The HDMI cable connects to an HDMI outlet, then the same cable connected behind the outlet connects to the TV directly. HDMI to HDMI, no DVI. TV is a Toshiba 19LV505 19-Inch 720p LCD HDTV. I left the 480p, 480i, and 720p resolutions active for HDMI output.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Use the remote that comes with the Sage HD-200. Now look towards the bottom of the remote and locate a button called Video Output. Press that button and cycle thru until you get you screen picture. Now proceed with whatever setup you need to do. Make sure you don't press that button again.

Gerry
I'm guessing this procedure will work.

Recently, I hooked HD200 via RCA cables in my minivan, which worked fine, and then reconnected it via HDMI to LCD TV and got blank screen. I kind of guessed the problem, so hooked it back via RCA cable and unchecked 480i and checked all other higher resolutions; and after reconnecting via HDMI, all worked fine. At the time, I didn't think of using the video output remote button.

Routers: DIR-655 and DIR-825 Bridges: 2xDAP-1522.
Installed: WHS OS, SageTV for WHS, PlayOn and Orb.
SageTV Plugins: PlayOn in OnLine Services.
SageTV clients: HD-200->Samsung LN52A750 and HD-100->Samsung LN40A650
Clients: 5 HP laptops, home built PC, iMac, PS3, PSP, XBox360, 3 iPhones 3gs (through OrbLive).
Old 09-07-2009, 11:09 AM

I also recently purchased a HD-200 and am having trouble getting the HDMI connection to work. It actually seemed to be working with firmware version 200810170 (the version that is was shipped with). I updated my firmware to 200907020 and HDMI seemed to stop working after the inital SageTV logo disappears. I tried switching thru the "Video Out" settings, but it didn't help. I tried a Beta update (200909030) and also went into the Advanced Setup -> Multimedia -> Force HDMI Display Mode and Enabled it. I've tried a different HDMI cable. I've tried a Configuration Reset, and I've also tried holding the Delete button while cycling the power. Nothing has worked. Is there a way to go back to the version of firmware it shipped with (200810170) ?

I tried my HD-200 on the other TVs in my house (just using the HDMI cable), and it worked on every other TV using firmware 200909030. It must be something about the TV. It may have something to do with the fact that it is a DVD/TV combo (Toshiba model 22LV505). In any case, this isn't an issue for me since it works on all the other TVs. I can use S video on this one if I have to.

Last edited by reiglewh; 09-10-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Sage User

As with the many other folks above, I'm having the same issues - can't get HD200 to work via HDMI. I posted this issue to another thread before seeing this one.

I've tried all the suggestions listed above to no avail. And I just posted a support request to Sage.

JFYI, I'm trying to get the HD200 to work on a brand new Samsung LCD HDTV via HDMI. This same extender was working great on another SDTV just fine. I've also tested the HDMI connect with 2 other HD200's I own with no luck.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or tests to try? Otherwise I'm sitting in limbo until Sage responds.

Thanks!

============ PROBLEM SOLVED! ====================
Thanks to George over at SageTV Support, here's the solution that at least fixed the problem I was experiencing. Maybe it will help others:

Step 1: Make sure you update the HD200 firmware to the latest version (currently at 090309).

Step 2: Close down Sage and then go to your SageTV folder on the server and delete everything inside of the \Clients folder.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Jeffek; 09-12-2009 at 01:34 PM.