SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

SageMC and Vista x64

I am in the process of building an HTPC and will be using Vista x64. I hope to use SageMC as my main Media Center application. Anyone have suggestions to get SageMC up and running properly on Vista x64?

The reason I ask, I have another HTPC with Vista x64. I installed SageMC and have problems with playing back 1080p MKVs (terrible stutter). With VMC, XBMC, WMP, and MediaPortal I have no issues playing back the mkvs. I figure with the new build I will just try SageMC first in case any of the other software/codecs that I installed is what is causing issues in my current HTPC. I know x64 can be very finnicky and didn't know if possibly SageMC just doesn't play well with x64.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Administrator

I can't comment on Vista64, but I just wanted to point out the difference between SageMC and SageTV on this forum... in case your post really means to refer to SageTV.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I can't comment on Vista64, but I just wanted to point out the difference between SageMC and SageTV on this forum... in case your post really means to refer to SageTV.

- Andy
You are absolutely correct, it would be SageTV or the SageTV Media Center Application.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have been running Vista x64 all along with SaveTV and SageMC. Overall it has been great...but I did have a few things during setup that you may want to consider...

1) The use of the User Account Control really complicated things. I finally turned UAC off (control panel)..and things were much better. Has to do with where the files are actually installed, etc. If UAC is on, then a "virtual store" is used and really complicates working with the file system, etc.

2) My Haupaugge TV capture cards had a driver issue with Vista x64 and 4GB of ram...which I had. Luckily an updated driver was released that addressed the issue.

Otherwise my Vista x64 system has been rock solid, and it is our Primary home PC with wife and two kids on it constantly. Never even know Sage is in the background recording shows and interacting with multiple extenders....it just works !!

SageTv, SageMC, USB-UIRT, etc...all running with no problems.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpa View Post
1) The use of the User Account Control really complicated things. I finally turned UAC off (control panel)..and things were much better. Has to do with where the files are actually installed, etc. If UAC is on, then a "virtual store" is used and really complicates working with the file system, etc.
This is not necessary. What needs to be done to prevent this from happening with UAC enabled is to change the permissions on the SageTV program folder to allow your user to write to the folder. Once that is done everything works as it should. No virtual store folder will be used then.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

That is a good tip Taddeusz.

I do know that turning off UAC helped in other non-Sage areas, glad it is off and out of the way. Guess others find it helpful for some things.