SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Sage User

Best Card with OTA ATSC tuner?

Currently I have the HVR-1600 and although the card works ok it doesn't get all the OTA channels that my sharp aquos receives from the same antenna/cable. So I'm curious if anyone knows of a better card or usb device that has a kick-a$$ ATSC tuner onboard that at least rivals the ones found in tv's (if not better)
Old 12-12-2008, 03:35 PM
SageTVaholic

HDHomerun.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Sage Icon

Good comments about the subject in this one:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35837

I have since bought the HDHR and agree it is probably the best option out there right now although it is not cheap.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the link! I'm definitely considering Hdhomerun but that price tag--have to sneak it by the wife if I do get it since I already have a 80$ hvr-1600 that would then become obsolete and maybe sell on ebay for $30

Any other thoughts?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Sage Expert

i found that reception dropped off with the HDHR over my previous AverMedia a180's, but it hasnt affected my viewing habits or ability to record.

On the flip side, the HDHR units have had more firmware upgrades than any other tuner card i have had, so the company actually seems set on improving its products for its customers.
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 12-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Sage Icon

With the HDHR, you get two tuners, so that's twice the tuners for your money.

The other benefit of the HDHR (seems like I am always touting this here) is that, since it's network, you can put it closer to the antenna and cut down on length of lossy coax cable. Every 10 feet of coax loses significant dB of antenna signal. If your TV is doing well directly from the antenna, you could even put your HDHR right behind the TV and connect the antenna to it there, since you consider that location (and length of coax) to have good antenna reception....
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Every 10 feet of coax loses significant dB of antenna signal.
It's usually less than 5dB/100ft @ TV frequencies for RG6.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
It's usually less than 5dB/100ft @ TV frequencies for RG6.
Yeah, yeah, I wasn't going to digress into dBs being logarithmic (and "percent" losses increasing by powers of 10) and the "magical" qualities of antenna reception and multipath and all of that.

I can say, from practical experience, that if I put an antenna behind my TV in the family room (3 ft of coax, but a horrible location for the antenna), I can get several channels, but if I take that same antenna upstairs and hold it out a window (incredibly better location), the extra length of coax needed to connect to the TV is enough to kill the signal (or at least lose enough that it's not watchable).

But not to digress anymore, I used the "network advantage" of the HDHR and mounted them on a shelf in a second-floor closet, just below my antennas (in the attic), with about 10-15' of coax, and they work wonderfully.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Yeah, yeah, I wasn't going to digress into dBs being logarithmic (and "percent" losses increasing by powers of 10) and the "magical" qualities of antenna reception and multipath and all of that.
True, 6dB is 1/4 the power. But the point is that's over 100ft. 10ft here or there isn't going to make any difference.

Quote:
I can say, from practical experience, that if I put an antenna behind my TV in the family room (3 ft of coax, but a horrible location for the antenna), I can get several channels, but if I take that same antenna upstairs and hold it out a window (incredibly better location), the extra length of coax needed to connect to the TV is enough to kill the signal (or at least lose enough that it's not watchable).
I'd bet that while outside is theoretically better, in your situation the family room was a better location signal wise.

For example I had my antenna mounted in my garage attic. I then moved it to the garage roof using the same cable. That should be something like a 10dB improvement in signal, but it made no appreciable difference.

Quote:
But not to digress anymore, I used the "network advantage" of the HDHR and mounted them on a shelf in a second-floor closet, just below my antennas (in the attic), with about 10-15' of coax, and they work wonderfully.
Yeah, definitely can make placement easier, I just doubt eliminating 20' of RG6 is going to make a significant difference in overall reception.