SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 12-14-2008, 02:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Picking out an LCD TV

I'm finally ready to buy an HDTV. I'd like to get a 46 inch LCD TV. I've been very happy with my own Samsung monitors, and several of my friends are happy with their Samsung HDTVs, so I'm leaning pretty heavily towards them. I was hoping to hear from some other Sage users before making a decision though.

I think I have it narrowed down to one of two different models: the LN46a550 or the LN46a650. The main differences as far as I can see is the 550 has a 30,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, compared to 50,000:1 for the 650. The 550 has a matte screen, while the 650 a glossy one. And, the big difference, the 650 is a 120Hz TV. As a result, the 650 looks like its about $200 more than the 550.

I'm guessing the difference in contrast ratio isn't really a big deal. So, my main two concerns with the 650 are with the glossy screen and how useful 120Hz is.

The TV is going to face a window. My CRT TV is a little reflective, but its not too bad. Trees and other buildings block most of the direct sunlight. I also have a good set of blinds that block the light very well. So, I wouldn't say I've had any problems with my CRT TV. Is a glossy LCD screen going to be worst, better or about the same? Do you prefer matte or glossy screens?

Second, is 120Hz even useful? I've gone into stores and watched the TVs, and I go back and forth between liking it and hating it. I brought my girlfriend in to watch them and she hated the 120Hz set. She thought it looked too much you were watching them film the scene, which has the odd effect of making it seem less "real" (it seems like it should be the other way around). Sometimes it seems like the frame interpolation gets screwed up and the video looks choppy. I'm guessing that it takes a while to get used to 120Hz sets. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. If I do, then will it be painful to watch movies and TVs in theaters and on other TVs? Or, if I don't get a 120Hz set, will everyone else have a 120Hz TV making my TV the bad one? What do you guys think of 120Hz TVs?

The cost difference between the two sets isn't a big concern. Obviously I don't want to spend more than I have to, but $200 wouldn't make or break me. Do any of you have experience with either of TVs? Or, do you have any suggestions for other 46 inch TVs in the $1200-$1500 price range (or less)?
Old 12-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

I currently have the 52" 650. I personally love it. I dont believe the computer is utilizing the 120 Hz but I am trying my best to get it to do so.

My TV is in the lower level in my house and the only window is an egress and far away from the setup.

I thought maybe you would like to see the TV in actuall use so I am adding some pics of my system.

As you can see there is some glare from the flash, which is extreme light coming from directly where the viewer is sitting. I doubt you have that much light coming from your window.

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...Picture003.jpg
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...Picture002.jpg
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...Picture001.jpg

Last edited by Opus4; 12-14-2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Images are too wide to be inline; changed them to links.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for the reply. Nice setup. It looks like the anti-reflective coating works pretty well.

It seems like you should be able to turn on Auto Motion Plus even if you're using a computer. Its just going to interpolate the other frames, and I don't see why it couldn't do that with VGA, component and HDMI inputs.

By the way, I noticed where you live. I'm originally from St. Peter, and I went to college at Luther in Decorah, IA. One of my friends works at IBM in Rochester.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
I'm finally ready to buy an HDTV. I'd like to get a 46 inch LCD TV. I've been very happy with my own Samsung monitors, and several of my friends are happy with their Samsung HDTVs, so I'm leaning pretty heavily towards them. I was hoping to hear from some other Sage users before making a decision though.
Time for my, "crash the party" routine , have you thought about a plasma?

Quote:
I think I have it narrowed down to one of two different models: the LN46a550 or the LN46a650. The main differences as far as I can see is the 550 has a 30,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, compared to 50,000:1 for the 650. The 550 has a matte screen, while the 650 a glossy one. And, the big difference, the 650 is a 120Hz TV. As a result, the 650 looks like its about $200 more than the 550.
My friend just got a LN32A550 and brought it over for a little calibration. Short answer, I wasn't impressed and I'm glad I didn't give in and order an LCD. First things first, the contrast was horrible. I measured a peak of around 400-500:1, and that was kind of a stretch to get. I've got no idea how they get 30,000:1 with these. Thinking back, I didn't play with the backlight control so maybe it could be improved by adjusting that.

The bigger issue for me with the set was motion. It wasn't the typical trails you used to get with LCD monitors, but there was a definite blur/echo when objects moved across the screen, especially with somewhat high contrast.

It did have some nice calibration features like RGB Gain/Offset to do some greyscale calibration, and it also had a rudimentary CMS so you could move the primaries and secondaries around a bit.

Quote:
I'm guessing the difference in contrast ratio isn't really a big deal. So, my main two concerns with the 650 are with the glossy screen and how useful 120Hz is.
I wouldn't downplay the importance of contrast. Frankly for the $200 price difference I'd definitely go for the better CR and the option of having frame interpolation.

Quote:
The TV is going to face a window. My CRT TV is a little reflective, but its not too bad. Trees and other buildings block most of the direct sunlight. I also have a good set of blinds that block the light very well. So, I wouldn't say I've had any problems with my CRT TV. Is a glossy LCD screen going to be worst, better or about the same? Do you prefer matte or glossy screens?
It probably depends on what it's going to be pointing at. One nice thing about LCDs is that being flat, you can adjust the aim slightly and eliminate reflections (in theory at least). With my CRT in the living room there's no direction you can turn it to eliminate reflections since it's got a curved screen.

The pitfall of matte screens is they get washed out when light shines on them. I know I prefer my new laptop's glossy screen to my old one's matte screen, despite the increased reflections.

Quote:
Second, is 120Hz even useful? I've gone into stores and watched the TVs, and I go back and forth between liking it and hating it. I brought my girlfriend in to watch them and she hated the 120Hz set.
The important thing to remember is that frame interpolation is an option on these sets. I don't usually like the result either, but if I were buying an LCD, I'd rather have the option than not. The other plus of a 120Hz set, is that even with frame interpolation you should benefit from the 120Hz refresh, which means 5:5 pulldown for film vs the juddery 3:2 pulldown on 60Hz displays (need to feed it 24Hz to take advantage of that though).

Quote:
The cost difference between the two sets isn't a big concern. Obviously I don't want to spend more than I have to, but $200 wouldn't make or break me. Do any of you have experience with either of TVs? Or, do you have any suggestions for other 46 inch TVs in the $1200-$1500 price range (or less)?
Personally I think I've come to the conclusion that the only flat panel I'd be happy with is a Pioneer Kuro plasma. Between the A550 and A650 I'd got the 650 for the better contrast and AMP option.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Personally I think I've come to the conclusion that the only flat panel I'd be happy with is a Pioneer Kuro plasma. Between the A550 and A650 I'd got the 650 for the better contrast and AMP option.
Yeah that Kuro sure is nice. Just not that nice unless you have a lot of cash to burn - its pretty expensive...

I would say the higher end Plasmas are definitely better than the LCDs (and lower end Plasmas). But you can get a pretty darn good picture on a LCD too. Don't just buy on price though - go check it out at the store and play with the settings.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Time for my, "crash the party" routine , have you thought about a plasma?
I knew that question was going to pop up. Yes, I have thought about it. There's a lot of reasons that I've been heavily leaning in the LCD direction. First, I'll probably end up using it as a computer monitor to some degree, and I've heard LCDs tend to serve better in that role. Second, I move a lot, and my understanding is that plasma TVs are more fragile, not to mention heavier. Third, I just haven't found a nice plasma in my price range. LCDs are more popular now, and there's a lot more models at different price points. Do you know of any plasmas under or around $1500 that I should check out?

Quote:
It probably depends on what it's going to be pointing at. One nice thing about LCDs is that being flat, you can adjust the aim slightly and eliminate reflections (in theory at least).
I'm definitely concluding I shouldn't be too concerned about reflections. I have seen some 650s in bright storerooms (as opposed to the dark corners where they usually keep them) and I haven't noticed any glare problems. And I hadn't considered the fact that the flat screen makes it easier to reduce/eliminate reflections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Don't just buy on price though - go check it out at the store and play with the settings.
Price is important, but I am willing to, for example, go with a smaller screen to balance out a nicer display. I did try to play with the settings, but I couldn't find the control panel. I just looked at the manual, which says its on the right side of the display. I'm not sure how I missed it.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Control panel is embedded in the lower right corner of the bezel. You really really have to look to see it.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Sage Icon

I'd love a Sammy...sadly my Sharp D65 is still fine (I'm sure measured contrast on it is horrible, but without a Kuro next to it, I love it ) Good luck, and post pics!

P