SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:59 PM
SageTVaholic

NIM-100 Ethernet over Coax Question

I have a rather large house with 8 cable outlets. When the cable was being installed when I moved into the house the cable cos' contactor decided to install two runs from the street, one to either side of my house - there are 4 outlets wired to each side of the house. Does anyone know whether the NIM-100's signal will work properly if I try to "cross" from the east side to west side?

I do have my house partially wired with CAT-6 so I likely will be able to put both adapters on the same side of the house for my Sage extender but I am wondering if I will be able to use additional extenders in the other half of the house for other network devices in the future?
Old 12-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Sage Expert

I don't know for sure, but it probably depends on how your connection is tied in to the tap; my guess is they probably have you on the same tap with a splitter before the two long cable runs. If that's the guess, then it might work OK.

These things are easy to config, and easy to tell if they're working or not. If you get a solid green light, the signal's good, so it'll be easy to move it from one side to the other to test out. Please post back after testing.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:28 PM
SageTVaholic

I will post back once I get them. I bought them on eBay from someone who sells them in packs of 3 so if I need separate units on either side of the house I may need an additional NIM-100 but there aren't too many spots in the East side of my house that don't have LAN drops so I should be ok.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, if there is a splitter in front of the tap, you are probably OK. If they are somehow connected into two taps, then you might have a problem, but that seems pretty unlikely.

Good luck with the NIM-100s, I have four and I love them.

F
Old 12-29-2008, 08:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Just to finish off this topic - it appears that the answer is no - the signal will not work on both sides of the house. I have two adapters connected and working on one side of the house but when I try to plug the third adapter into the other side of the house I never get the green LED coming on.

But the NIM-100s appear to work great and give a steady bitrate of 35 Mbps for PC-PC file transfers so that should be plenty, even for MPEG-2 HD which I believe tops out at about 19 Mbps.