SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-22-2008, 04:37 AM

Sagetv recording random shows

Whenever I go to view schedule recording, it will automatically record the show that is being displayed on the channel that I previously watched without me pressing anything. I've looked in the settings a few times but couldn't find anything weird. Why is this ?
Old 12-22-2008, 06:14 AM
Sage Expert

That's the basis for how Sage (and most other PVRs) work. All video is played back from recordings, including video watched "live". Sage records the video as you watch it, that way you can do all the cool DVR tricks like rewind and "pause" live TV. In truth you're watching a recording a couple of seconds behind the incoming signal. It's also why changing channels seems to take longer.

The listing shows up becuase that is what is/was "currently" recording on that tuner. Once you've stopped watching it will eventually go away but it may not happen immediatly.

If you have intelligent recording turned on this can also trigger it to record that show as something you may be interested in unless you tell it otherwise.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djc208 View Post
That's the basis for how Sage (and most other PVRs) work. All video is played back from recordings, including video watched "live". Sage records the video as you watch it, that way you can do all the cool DVR tricks like rewind and "pause" live TV. In truth you're watching a recording a couple of seconds behind the incoming signal. It's also why changing channels seems to take longer.

The listing shows up becuase that is what is/was "currently" recording on that tuner. Once you've stopped watching it will eventually go away but it may not happen immediatly.
Thats one thing i liked about another software i was using for a while GBPVR were in live tv mode with GBPVR it didnt record the live tv signal unless you paused the show for a second first. Because it didnt start recording right away you could channle surf much faster than in SageTv. It would be a nice option to have the abilty to not record livetv unless you pause it first. That way channel surfing would be alot faster.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Sage Icon

If you install the "Multi-Function Stop" plug-in, you can hit Stop twice and completely stop recording...
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc9mm View Post
Thats one thing i liked about another software i was using for a while GBPVR were in live tv mode with GBPVR it didnt record the live tv signal unless you paused the show for a second first. Because it didnt start recording right away you could channle surf much faster than in SageTv. It would be a nice option to have the abilty to not record livetv unless you pause it first. That way channel surfing would be alot faster.
I would think it would make the pause feature take a couple of seconds to actually start recording that way. Plus it defeats the ability to rewind live TV, which is another selling point of DVRs.

I don't watch live TV through Sage so I guess I don't have to deal with it but with the on-screen guide why would you really need to channel surf? Just scroll through the listings to find what you want, or what sounds interesting.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djc208 View Post

If you have intelligent recording turned on this can also trigger it to record that show as something you may be interested in unless you tell it otherwise.
Oh ok, it just surprised me a little since I was using media center to record before, and it didn't record what I was watching.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneColdWhat View Post
Oh ok, it just surprised me a little since I was using media center to record before, and it didn't record what I was watching.
then it was poor DVR software.

The whole purpose of DVR (in my mind) is time shifting, and if the broadcast media isn't recorded, time shifting isn't possible.

On every consumer DVR i have ever seen (Tivo, COmcast, FIOS, DirectTV, Dish) live TV is always recorded (even if there is no visible sign for the end user) otherwise you cannot rewind what you just watched.
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom