SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 AM
Sage User

Placeshifter Server Going out the Wrong NIC

Not sure what I can do here, hopefully someone has an Idea...

Basically the computer that runs as a SageTV "backend" has three NICs. One virtual (192.168.38.50) and Two physical (192.168.61.101 & 192.168.61.10). The reason for this is that the computer (Running Vista32Bit) has a Linux virtual machine installed which serves the media (aside from RecordedTV). Rather than wasting bandwidth sending traffic from the Linux virtual machine, out a physical NIC, then back in and then back out as SageTV server I simply have my media import directories mapped at \\192.168.38.50. The 192.168.61.10 is bridged to a physical adaptor and is assigned the remaining server tasks for the network.

Anyway, for some reason placeshifter service insists on using the 192.168.38.50 address for placeshifter. This won't work as this range is for internal comms between the virtual machine and host only.

How can I force the placeshifter service to use the correct NIC/IP? I have changed miniserver forceIP=192.168.61.101 in sage.properties to no avail.

In terms of the LAN SageTV service, it works fine.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:04 PM
SageTVaholic

I didn't follow three-quarters of that, and I don't use Vista, but in XP you can change the NIC binding priority via Control Panel > Network Connections > Advanced > Advanced Settings. Maybe that will help.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
I didn't follow three-quarters of that, and I don't use Vista, but in XP you can change the NIC binding priority via Control Panel > Network Connections > Advanced > Advanced Settings. Maybe that will help.
The binding are all OK as its all RCP/IP, but thanks for chiming in.

Think of it another way. The Linux server that holds all the media has two network cards, one goes directly to the SageTV computer, the other goes directly to the network switch as normal.

For some reason the placeshifter service is acting on the link between the two computers, instead of the one that actually has internet access!

Ill try and see if I can remove the gateway from the virtual LAN adaptor on the Vista machine, see if it will fool it into thinking its a dead end. Failing that ill add another physical NIC to the machine, dedicate SageTV to it and see what happens.

/shakes fist a VMWare

Last edited by PVRPhreak; 12-23-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:55 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm assuming the SageTV server software is running under Windows, is that right? If so, what I'm suggesting is simply to change the order of the NICs in the Advanced Settings dialog. If the Placeshifter server is binding to the first one in the list, make sure that one is the one with Internet access.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

On the windows machine only one of the NICs should have a Gateway. Normally this is the NIC that you want clients to connect to and the one that goes out to the world.

Windows will look at the Network subnet on the other nics and any traffic destined for those networks will automaticially go out that NIC. If you need to override that behavior you can create a static Route using "Route add" but this would not be necessary unless you were running a really complex network at home.

Send us the output of "ipconfig /all"
Old 12-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007
On the windows machine only one of the NICs should have a Gateway. Normally this is the NIC that you want clients to connect to and the one that goes out to the world.
Hehe, that's what you would expect eh?

Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HP-Office
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter VMnet1 StorageVLAN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-C0-00-01
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.38.1(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:34:07 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:49:09 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.38.254
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-C0-00-08
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.23.1(Preferred)
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:34:04 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:57:37 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.23.254

Ethernet adapter Onboard - Web & HDHR:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-F3-5B-36-A3
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.61.101(Preferred)
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.61.254
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.61.10
As you can see, only one gateway specified and its on the correct NIC. Internet connectivity is fine otherwise, including EPG the updates for SageTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick
I'm assuming the SageTV server software is running under Windows, is that right? If so, what I'm suggesting is simply to change the order of the NICs in the Advanced Settings dialog. If the Placeshifter server is binding to the first one in the list, make sure that one is the one with Internet access.
Yes, SageTV is running on Windows Vista. I'm not altogether sure what you are talking about though. Initially I thought you meant protocol bindings, ive checked the settings on a XP machine and I cannot find the setting you are talking about.

I'm going to turn static IP off as primary on the Web HDHR NIC and see what happens. It was set to static to that it still has internet access if the Linux VM fails to start, which "was" an issue. The Linux VM is a DHCP server too..

Last edited by PVRPhreak; 12-23-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you only have one physical NIC which is the one with the default gateway. What indications do you have that Placeshifter is trying to use a different NIC.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you only have one physical NIC which is the one with the default gateway.
There's two physical NICs, one is bound to the Linux VM for use and abuse by the rest of the LAN. I omitted this for simplicity. It is bridged to the VMware machine and has no interaction with the host. The only protocol enabled on it is VMWare bridge protocol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
What indications do you have that Placeshifter is trying to use a different NIC.
In SageTV, under "configure placeshifter connection" states:

---Configure Placeshifter Internet Connection--
Server TCP port: 443
Server IP Address: 192.168.38.1

A manual config only allows me to specify the port.

I haven't restarted the SageTV service since the change to DHCP however so im going to do that now...
Old 12-23-2008, 04:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVRPhreak View Post
Yes, SageTV is running on Windows Vista. I'm not altogether sure what you are talking about though. Initially I thought you meant protocol bindings, ive checked the settings on a XP machine and I cannot find the setting you are talking about...
In Control Panel > Network Connections, there's an Advanced item on the menu bar with an Advanced Settings item on the menu dropdown. That item brings up a dialog with a box labeled "Connections" containing a list of adapters, in the order in which applications bind to them. Select your Onboard - Web & HDHR adapter and use the green arrow buttons to move it to the top of the list.

No idea what that looks like in Vista, but that's how it's done in XP.