SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Sage User

Opinion on the HD200

1-The video is bad in stand alone mode watching a DVD.
2-It does not respond to the power button after gonig into sleep mode.
3-It ran out of memory after reading my very large music collection.
4-Sagetv fixes to these problems is to down load beta software. Paying customer are not beta tester.
5-It still can not play Blu-Ray movies
Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Glad I bought mine.

I've got two...both work great with the beta software.

Rich
Old 01-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Sage User

I have to comment that if I aimed to only keep devices without bugs, I would've also returned my router, my GPS, a cellphone, and a wii this Xmas.

I spent 3/4 of a day upgrading numerous devices after the unpacking stage (including the HD200). The HD200 had/has some issues for me as well (standalone mjpeg playback and invalid directory issues), but what computer based device doesn't? I'm glad to see continuous current development along with access and timely responses from those at SageTV; I prefer to keep seeing the beta images coming..
Old 01-02-2009, 11:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eded9698 View Post
4-Sagetv fixes to these problems is to down load beta software. Paying customer are not beta tester.
#1 isn't correct. Video in standalone mode works great - just as it does in extender mode.
#3 - definitely an issue which unfortunately will be difficult to overcome. I agree that's a problem though.
#4 - this is simply a silly comment. Its in beta to work out any last minute bugs - if you're uncomfortable with the beta, wait another few days until it is released out of beta. For me it's pretty darn stable regardless.
#5 - And why should it? Was there some advertising that told you it would somehow?

I'm all for voicing opinions, but the "don't buy this" sort of thread title is a little over the top in my opinion. I bet you'd have no trouble selling your HD200 if your unable to resolve your issues though.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Whenever I buy a fresh-to-market, user upgradeable gadget, I fully understand that it has not undergone testing in every single configuration environment. A fine example - Apple has no shortage of money to put into testing the iPhone, yet there have been many, many firmware upgrades to fix issues. I like the newest whiz-bang techie stuff and this comes with the territory.

For #3/4 - As Brent said, it's always a good idea to calibrate your expectations to what the company you are doing business with is actually promising to you.

I'm quite happy with my HD-200 and it appears that the vast majority of members of this community feel the same.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
Quote:

Sounds like you need a couple of Flaming Homers or Moes, and learn what RTFM means !
Old 01-03-2009, 02:25 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltljrt View Post
I have to comment that if I aimed to only keep devices without bugs, I would've also returned my router, my GPS, a cellphone, and a wii this Xmas.
It is a sad day when the norm is to expect such bad and lousy software.

Worse is when bad sofware is defended by comparing it to other lousy software.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
#1 isn't correct. Video in standalone mode works great - just as it does in extender mode.
Brent,

Not to impose on you. I am very curious about the upscaling function of HD-200. Can you run the HQV Benchmark (SD version) on the HD-200 and publish the result?
SageTV 6.6.2 / 42" Plasma Panasonic TH-42PX600A/ Intel Pentium DC E6500/ 2Gb Ram/KWorld DVB-T PC160-2T/ Logitech Harmony Remote X360/ Gigabyte GeForce 8500 GT (Silent)/ Winfast DTV1000T/ WD Caviar Green 808Gb HD/ Win 7 Ultimate/ Mission Cinema 7/ Denon AVR-1800
Old 01-03-2009, 03:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofreak75 View Post
Sounds like you need a couple of Flaming Homers or Moes, and learn what RTFM means !
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123 View Post

Well said!

Not that I think SageTV is bad and lousy software. But I do think everyone is free to speak about how they feel about SageTV as long as it does not involves flaming other users in the forum.

No hardware or software is perfect at this day and age! However I am more curious about the Good and Bad on HD-200, so I think this kind of debate is quite healthy.
SageTV 6.6.2 / 42" Plasma Panasonic TH-42PX600A/ Intel Pentium DC E6500/ 2Gb Ram/KWorld DVB-T PC160-2T/ Logitech Harmony Remote X360/ Gigabyte GeForce 8500 GT (Silent)/ Winfast DTV1000T/ WD Caviar Green 808Gb HD/ Win 7 Ultimate/ Mission Cinema 7/ Denon AVR-1800

Last edited by cychou; 01-03-2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123 View Post

How about if I compare it to hardware, then? If a design flaw is discovered in my car, I damn well expect a recall notice and a free repair. What are you going to do, refuse the repair on the grounds that it should have been bug-free in the first place? That's just silly. If they offer a fix, take it. The fact that they're willing to fix bugs is a point in their favor, not an argument against buying the product.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:59 AM
Sage User

For any that think software should be bug free, you may want to frequently check the CERT website for the daily list of vulnerablities your OS/apps have, never mind the feature bugs that exist in either. Updates are simply a part of life now.

You may also investigate your car's computer systems (from combustion control to safety systems) are current - and then pay for having them upgraded.

Although dated, WIREDs article 'Histories worst software bugs' is interesting.
http://www.wired.com/software/coolap.../2005/11/69355

I appreciate seeing the accessible and documented betas coming.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
It is indeed a piece of crap. I can't believe you bought it.

Sell it to me for cheap and I will take it off your hands.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Sage Expert

OP, I'll trade you a shiny brand new DVD player that will do everything you want except play BluRay movies. You can load unlimited DVDs full of music and it won't miss a beat - you don't even need to turn on your TV to control it.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Mine works fine.

Quote:
Mine does.

Quote:
Yeah, that sucks, but I'm sure they're working on it.

Quote:
They call everything beta until the fixes have been confirmed by users who reported them.

Quote:
When was it ever advertised to play Blu-ray movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cychou View Post
Brent,

Not to impose on you. I am very curious about the upscaling function of HD-200. Can you run the HQV Benchmark (SD version) on the HD-200 and publish the result?
It's a flag-reading deinterlacer, don't expect much.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltljrt View Post
For any that think software should be bug free, you may want to frequently check the CERT website for the daily list of vulnerablities your OS/apps have, never mind the feature bugs that exist in either. Updates are simply a part of life now.
Bill Gates has made a fortune by selling half baked software and the sad part is that the competitors who tried to sell good stuff got ran over.

What I am saying is that this is sad but true and it is true about every aspect of life.

I work at a research University and I can tell you that it is not in the interest of researches to find a cure because the moment they do, their funding stops. Find the cure and you end up without a job. Sad but it is the way it is. Why do you think cures for illness take so long to develop?
Old 01-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
My DVDs play back on the HD200 in stand alone mode as well as they do on my upconverting Sony DVD player. Maybe you should check out your setup.

Can you describe your configuration so that we can try to help you out?

I have seen many posters who have some strong complaints when initially posting (that is generally what forums deal with - problems). But most of them finally get help here and find a solution.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Sage Expert

To be fair, on my own setup, letting the HD200 scale a 480 source to 1920x1080i output looks a lot better than letting it output at 480p directly.

This is going to be extremely variable and depend on an individual's setup (mainly their display and its ability to render at various resolutions).

That said, I think the HD200's output at 1080i is in fact quite nice. I'm very interested to try the HD200 with a better TV with and without an outboard video processor.

I still think the OP would be better off trading his HD200 to me for the extra DVD player I have sitting here though.

Back to seriousness, for Music, especially any "large" collections, the best playback solution is Slim Center running on the same computer as SageTV and piping music to a SqueezeBox or Transporter. Add to that an iPod touch or Squeeze Controller for visual browsing and playback controls and you're set.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
Back to seriousness, for Music, especially any "large" collections, the best playback solution is Slim Center running on the same computer as SageTV and piping music to a SqueezeBox or Transporter. Add to that an iPod touch or Squeeze Controller for visual browsing and playback controls and you're set.
Agreed 100%. TV-centric systems just don't work well for music, IMO.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Sage User

Websters dictionary meaning of Beta:
a nearly complete prototype of a product (as software)

Sagetv should not tell paying customers that have reported and sent multiple emails to their support department that a beta upgrade of the firmware should fix the problems. Based on the definition of a beta it is not a fix to the problem.

If Sagetv needed beta testers I would have gladly take one for FREE.

To compare Apple and other companies firmware or service packs to Sagetv using customers to test there betas is not the same.

Also, to use the excuse that a company can not now every setup situation is correct. But their product should work in the situation they do know. And if it doesn't they should fix it with tested and approved updates.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

I must admit it really bugged me when I found out that for the HD-200 to get the license it needs to run you MUST install the beta server software. And on the front page when you look at the information for the unit it says "Watching live or recorded HDTV requires optional SageTV Media Center Version 6.5 or later" notice how it doesn't mention that 6.5 is beta software. I was very reluctant to take my somewhat stable sage server and install a beta on it. Not a release candidate at the time, just a pure beta.

Having said that if you have one of these, install the beta everything. It fixes a lot of problems.
Closed Thread