SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD200 manufacturing update suggestion

I notice every time (or almost every time) I walk up to my HD200 unit and touch it, I discharge a spark of static electricity as my finger touches its chassis. The problem I see though, is that the unit itself lacks an Earth ground. The only paths I can see as potential grounding paths are through the component signal wire's grounds (to my TV set which is not grounded either- does not have 3rd prong) and this may be an isolated ground anyway even if the TV were grounded, or through the Ethernet wire (which could damage a NIC on either end if static electricity tries to discharge through that). And since the power feed is only a low DC voltage 2 wire connection from the secondary side of the transformer, and the primary side of that transformer is only a 2 wire AC 110v feed, I just can't see any other way that static can safely discharge without causing a potential risk to system board damage (someone correct me if I am wrong).

I would recommend that they use a transformer with a 3 wire AC supply, and the secondary winding's negative wire of the DC feed should be grounded to Earth, or if the transformer was internally mounted in the HD200 and the 3-wire cord was plugged directly into that unit, so that the chassis would have a direct ground to Earth to protect against static discharge.

Just my 2 sense. Perhaps this is why I get these weird symtoms that others don't seem to be having? Perhaps my unit has been damaged. I am, for now, going to fabricate my own wire to fit on a screw of the HD200, and ground the chassis directly to my surge protector's 3rd prong, just so I know that my spark is traveling directly to ground w/o discharging through the main board and finding a ground on its own.

Last edited by ojosch; 01-05-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: grammer correction