SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Sage Expert

TV shows start at current time instead of where I last stopped watching

I'll try to explain this as simply as I can. It could be a general Sage issue, but since I mostly use SageMC, I've never noticed it happen on the standard STV, so if someone can confirm that it behaves the same way there, I'll re-post in the general Sage forum...

If I'm watching a show that I'm recording, and then I hit stop and do something else for a while, when I come back and start watching again, the show will sometimes start playing at the current (real) time instead of the point that I stopped it. To make matters worse, the timeline shows the "pre-stopped" time, not "real" time, so there's no way to know except to realize that you've apparently skipped a bunch of the show.

Here's my most frequent real-world example to help clarify:
A) I'm watching a football game that I have set to record.
B) I stop watching at the 1 hour mark (with 7 minutes left in the second quarter of the game let's say) to go do something else for a while. (by hitting stop)
C) I come back an hour later (while the game's still on) and go to the recording and hit play.
D) The timeline shows 1:00, like I would expect, with green on the timeline out to the 2:00 mark. So far so good.
E) Now I look up at the score and realize that there are 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter instead of 7 minutes left in the second quarter. And now I've seen what the score's going to be another hour into the game. Not good.
F) Hitting rewind a single time (which I have set to 10 seconds) jumps the playback all the way back to the 1:00 mark where it should be, so now I see 7 minutes left in the second quarter again.

I cannot tell you how many games I've watched where this has happened.

I'm assuming this has to be a bug, right? Shouldn't it re-start playback where you last left off - where the timeline says you are - instead of re-starting at "live" time. On normal programming it's no big deal, but for sporting events it's incredibly frustrating.

Anyone else had this happen? Is it a Sage thing or a SageMC thing? Should I file a bug on it?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Sage Expert

I had this problem for a while as well, it was a bug in the SageTV core. It was fixed a few versions back (can't remember which exactly). I haven't had the problem since.

What version of SageTV are you using?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
I had this problem for a while as well, it was a bug in the SageTV core. It was fixed a few versions back (can't remember which exactly). I haven't had the problem since.

What version of SageTV are you using?
I'm using one of the latest Betas. I think it's the one before the current release candidate. And I had this problem just last night watching the Fiesta Bowl. I stopped watching at half time to play a video game and re-started about an hour later. I immediately saw the score from mid-way through the fourth quarter. As soon as I hit rewind once, it jumped me back to the half time show, but the damage was already done.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Sage Icon

I have a similar issue w/ the last full release. Load up a show that's in progress and Sage skips to "live" instead of starting at the beginning.

Happens more on HD than SD.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:13 PM
SageTVaholic

I used to have this problem a lot (ruined a ton of football games), but they put out a bug fix somewhere in this cycle and I've yet to see it again. If you're for sure seeing it in the latest beta then be sure and put in a bug report.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
I used to have this problem a lot (ruined a ton of football games), but they put out a bug fix somewhere in this cycle and I've yet to see it again. If you're for sure seeing it in the latest beta then be sure and put in a bug report.
I'll do that. Any suggestions on how to phrase it. I'm assuming they'd like a simpler report than my multi-paragraph attempt at a description above!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:59 PM
SageTVaholic

They'll recognize the issue but the more specific you are about your reproduction steps the better. As far as they know its fixed, so if you have a new scenerio they haven't tried yet, then they'll want to have a much detail as possible.

As always the standard rules apply: do it on the default STV w/o imports and generate a debug log that captures the problem.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
As always the standard rules apply: do it on the default STV w/o imports and generate a debug log that captures the problem.
Interesting. What exactly will a debug log show on something like this? Since it's not throwing an error or anything, I would've assumed a debug log wouldn't show anything useful at all.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild View Post
Interesting. What exactly will a debug log show on something like this? Since it's not throwing an error or anything, I would've assumed a debug log wouldn't show anything useful at all.
The debug log shows more than just errors. It shows scheduling, playback, recording, etc. Most things SageTV does while it's running are listed in the log.