SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexhold View Post
So since it doesnt use Domains or AD, am I correct in assuming that you cannot setup group policies,home directories and all the other useful stuff available in 2k3?
WHS is not meant to be a business class OS. It's a HOME server, it's meant to be stable and simple.

That said, gpedit.msc will work (you could break something), you can map your "my documents" folders to shares (I wouldn't) and "all the other useful stuff" is a bit vague.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So since it doesnt use Domains or AD, am I correct in assuming that you cannot setup group policies,home directories and all the other useful stuff available in 2k3?

No. You still have access to Group Policy. When users are created they automatically get a home directory and access to the file shares. It is still an install of Windows 2003 Small Business server (which is says during the text based part of the install.) But it tries to simplify what needs to be done for a home network server so that you don't need a MCSE to administer it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
WHS is not meant to be a business class OS. It's a HOME server, it's meant to be stable and simple.
I understand this, just wanted some more info as microsoft's website gives little information.

I intend to setup a server to secure and control all users at my home and was just wondering if WHS had the same functionality as 2k3 did. I guess not. And as it utilizes workgroups I guess I can't use it as a secondary server either.

On a side note, will they be coming out with a new Windows 7 compatible version of WHS?

Windows 7 uses Homegroups to share all files and printers.

I have ordered the 120 day trial, I guess Ill just test it for myself.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
It is still an install of Windows 2003 Small Business server (which is says during the text based part of the install.)
It "says" that because WHS and SBS are built by the same group at MS. It's not really SBS but SBS and WHS are both built on the win2k3 core by the same people and some of the code was reused. SBS has Exchange, WHS does not. WHS has Drive Extender, SBS does not. etc...
Old 01-20-2009, 01:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_E View Post
It "says" that because WHS and SBS are built by the same group at MS. It's not really SBS but SBS and WHS are both built on the win2k3 core by the same people and some of the code was reused. SBS has Exchange, WHS does not. WHS has Drive Extender, SBS does not. etc...
Gotcha. Close enough for government work. Kinda of funny though. Maybe it is SBS-execept with all the business ripped out.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Maybe it is SBS-execept with all the business ripped out.
Nope.

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/whs.asp
Quote:
Features

From a conceptual standpoint, the problem with Windows Home Server is that it doesn't lend itself to a simple, single-sentence description that will immediately sell itself. In a nutshell, WHS is home-based server software, based on a rock-solid Windows Server 2003 core, that will typically be sold with new PC-like server hardware from companies like HP.
From the WHS Team Blog:
http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/...s-and-sbs.aspx
Quote:
Windows Home Server (WHS) and Windows Small Business Server (SBS) are both built in the same organization at Microsoft, the Windows Server Solutions Group (WSSG) - two new 3 letter acronyms and one new 4 letter acronym for everybody to add to their knowledge banks. We often get asked how are these 2 products different and also what do they have in common?

Both products are based on the proven technologies of Windows Server 2003, and both are targeted to meet the specific needs of a specific market segment.
So, as I said, both WHS and SBS are based on the win2k3 core and both are built by the same "group" so it's not a surprise that they've reused some of the code but it's also clear, even from MS itself, that WHS and SBS are based on the same core not that WHS is based on SBS.

Similar but different...
Old 01-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I understand this, just wanted some more info as microsoft's website gives little information.

I intend to setup a server to secure and control all users at my home and was just wondering if WHS had the same functionality as 2k3 did. I guess not. And as it utilizes workgroups I guess I can't use it as a secondary server either.

On a side note, will they be coming out with a new Windows 7 compatible version of WHS?

Windows 7 uses Homegroups to share all files and printers.

I have ordered the 120 day trial, I guess Ill just test it for myself.
The WHS forums are a good source of information too...

WHS is not a security product but people do use WHS *in* AD networks, just not *joined* to the domain. Joining WHS to an AD domain will violate the EULA and break WHS. (it will force reboots every hour I think)

There is no official info on WHS v2 yet but I seriously doubt it will be w7 based. There was a rumor that it might be win2k8 based. Many people are using WHS with w7 already.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Sage Icon

I have to reserve judgment since I just went live with it yesterday but I have to say I really like it. I played with trail for a few weeks before committing to it. There is not a lot of info on driver but I used XP versions for everything and it all worked well. I have a HDHR, HD-PVR and a remote networked HD-PVR and the setup was easy without any drama. TV playback with just the Client seems much better, (less of the animated circle going round).

I initially tried to use a bunch of older disks mixed in with the newer ones but that only slowed disk usage to a crawl. I would only use 64K formatted disk of reasonable vintage in the array for good performance. You can always use the older ones but don't make them part of the main storage volume. Having lost a bunch of data on a raid5 setup I am drawn to the portability of how WHS stores data. I ripped the disks out of the evaluation setup and could read them on another machine without problems. With the built-in raid you have to rebuild it the same way if the mother board dies or you are SOL. (Simpler is Better) WHS also give you the ability to manage the items you want duplicated across disks. Backups of remote PCs is easy and the most important stuff can easily be backed up again on external drives automatically.

Most of the core Server OS utilities seems to be present you just have a Home based GUI for the most common functions. It appears you can go off script and do it the windows way but there is really no need in a home environment for all that overhead and work the GUI works fine for what 95% of home users want.

Be aware that the 120 trail can't just be activated. You will have to do a special install procedure so I would really recommend that you don't have it as you master storage center until you get the final product installed.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
Most of the core Server OS utilities seems to be present you just have a Home based GUI for the most common functions. It appears you can go off script and do it the windows way but there is really no need in a home environment for all that overhead and work the GUI works fine for what 95% of home users want.

Be aware that the 120 trail can't just be activated. You will have to do a special install procedure so I would really recommend that you don't have it as you master storage center until you get the final product installed.
Don't try using the built in defrag app, it's not compatible with DE.

You can do a server reinstall from the trial to the OEM and the data should be fine but it's a good idea to have a backup of the data until WHS is stable. Even then, backups of critical data is important.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Sage User

I'm using XP SP3 and I restart my server maybe twice a year. It just works.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknowles View Post
I'm using XP SP3 and I restart my server maybe twice a year. It just works.
You really should apply patches more often than that....
Old 01-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Sage User

Quote:
You really should apply patches more often than that....
Ok, maybe 4 times a year by the time you include java updates and patches. In the 3-4 years I have been using Sage, my sever has locked up 3 times. That's it.

I will be upgrading to Vista x64 when I move up to HD, because my current quad core desktop will become my media PC.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
I agree. WHS does have UI things for the non-geek to automate backups of family PCs. But that's kind of a lame rationale for using WHS.
I disagree strongly. I have three other desktop PCs in the house, and the backup capability is one of primary reasons I used WHS over XP, Vista, or 2003. You can't get ANYTHING comparable for backups anywhere near this price. It's automatic, super-efficient on time and space, and it makes recovering files or entire computers quick and easy. Don't discount how useful it is.
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 01-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Ok, maybe 4 times a year by the time you include java updates and patches. In the 3-4 years I have been using Sage, my sever has locked up 3 times. That's it.

I will be upgrading to Vista x64 when I move up to HD, because my current quad core desktop will become my media PC.
You do know there is a recent worm that exploits a 2 month old MS patch, right? I try to reboot as little as possible too but, my point is, patches are important...

I just upgraded my last XP workstation to vista64 and it's been great. I wouldn't use it as a Sage server, personally, but feel free. There are ways around the signed driver requirement.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Sage User

Quote:
There are ways around the signed driver requirement.
Yeah, it's called Vista Ultimate. That's the only reason I got Ultimate.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I have ultimate too; there's still a signed driver requirement but as I said, there are ways around it.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Sage User

Quote:
You can get around signed drivers on any version of Vista, not just Ultimate.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sign me up as another WHS believer. It's been a rock steady platform and I'm very pleased with it.

pat----
Server -- Sage 7.1.9.256 in Service Mode w/Default UI - OS: Microsoft Windows Home Server (2003 SP2) - CPU: Intel C2Q Q6600 2.4GHz, MoBo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, RAM: 4GB OCZ, HD: SYS 1x500GB (SATA, 100GB C: ), DATA 3x1TB (SATA, in Pool, 64K cluster size)
Tuners -- 1xHDHomeRun Prime w/CC
Clients -- 2 HD200 Extenders and 2 HD300 Extenders
Old 01-21-2009, 10:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Not sure about for my main SageTV server but I'm thinking of going to WHS for my NAS. It's currently running FreeNAS but I'm unhappy with the hardware support and the fact that I can't set it to go into standby when it's not in use.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Not sure about for my main SageTV server but I'm thinking of going to WHS for my NAS. It's currently running FreeNAS but I'm unhappy with the hardware support and the fact that I can't set it to go into standby when it's not in use.
Setup WHS as the file server and then try Sage on it later, I think you'll like it.