SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:06 PM

Question Placeshifter not connecting

Hi- I've got SageTV on my desktop and SageTV Placeshifter on my laptop. Both computers are running Windows Vista. SageTV is able to play TV programs on my desktop but when I try to test the placeshifter connection from my desktop I get "The Locator server could not connect the IP registered for this Locator ID." I've set up a Static IP address for my desktop and have read the appendix N in the manual and followed all the firewall setting instructions. I've done all the port forwarding requested on my router.

So why am I still unable to pass the placeshifter connection test?

As for my laptop, I've configured my Locator ID and address with placeshifter then when I click connect I get an error connection message that says " The SageTV Placeshifter is unable to connect the the specified SageTV Media Center Server. etc."

I've spent all weekend reading thru forums and trying to figure out what in the world I'm doing wrong and I really need help. Any suggestions please?

Thank you
Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Try to connect using your server's LAN IP address. If that doesn't work, then there's something basic wrong with your server setup. Either you forgot to enable the Server option in Detailed Settings, or there's some firewall issue on the server that's blocking the connection.

If you can connect by LAN, try connecting using your router's WAN IP address (the one assigned by your ISP). If that doesn't work, then it's most likely a port forwarding issue, or else your ISP is blocking the Placeshifter traffic for some reason.

Go to showmemyip.com to see what the world at large thinks your WAN IP address is. Then bring up your router's status page and see what it thinks its WAN IP is. If they're not the same, then your ISP is adding some extra layer of address translation that could be confounding the SageTV locator service.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Cool

Thank you very much for your reply Greg . What I am going to do is print out what you've posted and ask my boyfriend to follow your instructions because I am afraid I'll just screw up the entire thing. So I'll get back to you and let you know how it went...

Thanks again!
Jessica
Old 01-19-2009, 08:56 PM

So... I followed the steps you mentioned and everything seemed just about right and I was still having issues... Then I checked my firewall and decided to uninstall it since I really don't know how to configure the COMODO firewall I had and whatta u know... IT WORKED!

So it was definitely a firewall issue... now I'll have to install a new firewall that I can actually configure so that it will not interfere with SageTV!

Thanks so much for your input... now I'll have the chance to watch the inauguration while I am at work tomorrow!