SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Sage User

Unhappy Backing up / Restore of Sage failing! Help :-(

OK, I wanted to reinstall windows. Copied everything from program files\sagetv to another drive.

I reinstalled windows, reinstalled SageTv, then copied back all the files from my backup drive. I overwrote all of the files in program files\sagetv with my old files.

When I start SageTV up, it starts into the configuration wizard. My video sources are gone, everything's gone! It's like it's a fresh install.

I tried deleting everything in the program files\sagetv folder, then copying over the backup files, (so no chance of something not overwriting due to UAC). It STILL puts me back at square 1 when I start sage.

Help!!
Old 01-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Sage Icon

Are you running XP or Vista? If Vista, isn't some of your info kept in the Pargram Data folder?
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 01-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Sage Icon

Vista and your back probably doesn't contain what you think it does.

wiz.bin is all you really need to care about, if you have that just install sage fresh and rerun the config. Once all is well swap the wiz.bin.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
Vista and your back probably doesn't contain what you think it does.

wiz.bin is all you really need to care about, if you have that just install sage fresh and rerun the config. Once all is well swap the wiz.bin.
Thanks. What's wiz.bin do? I had SageMC on there too...

Really I just want to get my "favorite series" back, and to get my video sources setup back...any chance of that?
Old 01-24-2009, 05:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Just like CollinR says. All you need is the wiz.bin and just rerun your config for Sage. For future reference if you were on Vista and had UAC enabled. the settings you had set in Sage were kept in the Virtual Store. You would have needed the files from there. The only way your backup would have worked is if you had UAC disabled prior to installing SageTV. And you would have been better off copying the backup on your new installation first and THEN installing Sage. It would treat it like an upgrade. Wiz.bin will give you your favorites back.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Just like CollinR says. All you need is the wiz.bin and just rerun your config for Sage. For future reference if you were on Vista and had UAC enabled. the settings you had set in Sage were kept in the Virtual Store. You would have needed the files from there. The only way your backup would have worked is if you had UAC disabled prior to installing SageTV. And you would have been better off copying the backup on your new installation first and THEN installing Sage. It would treat it like an upgrade. Wiz.bin will give you your favorites back.

Gerry
Thanks Gerry,

That makes sense. In the recent past, I had disabled UAC for some reason, and all of a sudden Sage reverted to what looked like a fresh install. I freaked out, copying my backups over my current files, to no avail. Then, when I re-enabled UAC, Sage returned to my normal set up.

Friggin' Vista. I should have bought XP. I only got Vista cuz I thought I would use MCE, without realizing how much of a bear QAM support was.

Edit: So for in the future, is there any way to do this correctly? (Assuming I have UAC enabled)....Where's the Virtual Store?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Check the FAQ or look in your user directory. The AppData is normally hidden so you need to turn on hidden files.

%localappdata%\VirtualStore
or
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 01-25-2009 at 10:55 AM.