SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

Connecting Dish net 211 to Hauppauge 1600

Just got Dish Network installed. Was useing just an antenna before. Had coax cable from antenna going into the ATSC/clear QAM digital cable input on the Hauppauge 1600 cards.I have two 1600 cards. With that i was getting HD over the air channels, worked very niceley.
The dish Network STB is the HD 211 box. It has coax composite component and hdmi outputs.I was hoping to record HD programming from the STB to PC. How should i connect the Dish 211 STB to the Hauppauge 1600 card??
I ask because it says in the 211 manual that coax and S video and composite are for SD TV. Not sure if thats just a recommendation or that only SD comes out of those connections only.
Oh and one more question. If i used the coax connection which of the coax inputs on the 1600 card should i use. One is labeled analog TV and the other is labeled ATSC/clear QAM Digital TV. I would think the second one but doesnt just analog TV come out of any STB connection?

My Hauppauge card looks like this

Last edited by dc9mm; 01-27-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:27 AM
SageTVaholic

You won't be able to record HD from your Dish box from that card. You can connect the s-video input of the card to the Dish box. That tuner card will record HD from ClearQAM channels from a cable system box or OTA ATSC channels. Your only choice for HD recording with that box is a HD-PVR. (or a R5000 modification. Please seacrh the forums for more info)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:34 AM

That rigth what Gerry is say if want Record real HD from HD Channel you need HD-PVR and hook it with component.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Oh darn. I didnt realize it would be that much of a problem. If i were to buy the HD-PVR thing from here and i guess i need to upgrade? to sage tv extender software. Will the HD-PVR work with the sageTv software and the Hauppage 1600 cards were i could still use those to record over the air HD and will comskip work with the HD-PVR ?
Not sure if the HD-PVR box has a hard drive in it or not. If not i assume it uses the hard drives in my PC. Not sure how the HD-PVR connects to PC.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have this same setup...two 1600's and two VIP211's. It works really well, but as others have said, the VIP211's are not HD without more hardware.

I have been debating on whether to get the HDPVR to get HD from the VIP211's...but have not yet. Also, the picture I am getting from the VIP211's in SD is really pretty good, so not sure I will get an HDPVR anytime soon.

I have my OTA cable going to the 1600's coax for HD...and my VIP211's going to the 1600's s-video/audio. It has been perfect for months...amazing how it "just works".
Old 01-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

[QUOTE=gibsonpa;333480]I have this same setup...two 1600's and two VIP211's. It works really well, but as others have said, the VIP211's are not HD without more hardware.

QUOTE]
Gibsonpa

How did you setup the blaster to work to get it to change channels on the vip211 boxes?
Iam going to try and set that up in the next day or too and so far from what i have figured out. I need to run the IRblaster software that came with the 1600 card. I assume the vip211 control box is in the list i need to pick from in the IRblaster software? Is that all i need to do and then go into SageTV and setup the 1600 card for dish network?

I have 2 1600 cards and one PVR-150. Right now i have over the air HD TV connected to both 1600 cards. I was thinking about useing the unused PVR-150 to connect to the 211 STB. The PVR-150 i have has S-video and RCA inputs. Or i could try to just use the coax input. Not sure if the quality would be much differant between S-video and the coax inout.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:26 PM

Newb , Dish HDMI Connection

Hi , new user here so apologies in advance if this has been covered already.

I'd like to connect my dish VIP211k to sage using HDMI for both picture qaulity and the cleanliness of the wiring. From what I've been able to find on the Forums it seems the only option was the HD-PVR. Just noticed the last post was in '08 wondering if anyone knows of a PCI card with HDMI input and IR blaster output.

Hope some of that makes sense, im really talking above my experience level here ( which is none BTW )

If I'm still looking at the PVR any experience Pros/Cons setup advice would be much appreciated.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Sage Fanatic

there are no cards with HDMI input. You must (at the moment) use component to record HD.
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 01-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Humm, are there cards now that have component input for HD recording without the whole PVR box?? Right now i record from my STB with S-video which isnt HD. I also have antenna on 2 other cards that i can record HD over the air channels. Would love to be able to record HD from my STB without the hassle of that PVR Box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
there are no cards with HDMI input. You must (at the moment) use component to record HD.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc9mm View Post
Humm, are there cards now that have component input for HD recording without the whole PVR box??
The Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR is expected to be available in March.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 01-21-2011, 05:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
The Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR is expected to be available in March.
Though it likely won't work with the sat boxes either via HDMI, as it won't record from HDCP protected sources. Basically, HD capture require the Hauppauge HD-PVR device. IT captures HD via component to USB to the sagetv server.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Sage Fanatic

The Colossus linked to in the previous post is a internal card version of the HD-PVR from the same company. Both only capture HD over component (with digital audio).

According to their facebook post, it will encode HDMI (unecrypted only). It is unlikely any settop box will output unencrypted hdmi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Though it likely won't work with the sat boxes either via HDMI, as it won't record from HDCP protected sources. Basically, HD capture require the Hauppauge HD-PVR device. IT captures HD via component to USB to the sagetv server.
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 01-21-2011, 11:45 PM

One step further

Man , Thanks for the ridiculously fast response. Excited to get this thing figured out.

So im thinking I get as many as 3 of these 211k boxes and the hp-pvrs to go with, then two hd theatre300s for play back.
Just a couple more questions , is there any loss of qaultiy with the transition composite/pvr/usb/sage/hd300/hdmi-Display?
How fast does the data stream through the whole system?...can you watch live tv?
Could one of the dish DVRs be manipulated by sage/irblaster and data output over usb similarly?....from what i can tell dish isnt likely to allow this but it seems like a tidy solution
Old 01-22-2011, 12:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlPro View Post
Man , Thanks for the ridiculously fast response. Excited to get this thing figured out.

So im thinking I get as many as 3 of these 211k boxes and the hp-pvrs to go with, then two hd theatre300s for play back.
Just a couple more questions , is there any loss of qaultiy with the transition composite/pvr/usb/sage/hd300/hdmi-Display?
How fast does the data stream through the whole system?...can you watch live tv?
Could one of the dish DVRs be manipulated by sage/irblaster and data output over usb similarly?....from what i can tell dish isnt likely to allow this but it seems like a tidy solution
3 HD-PVR's might end up being more than you need. Once you embrace pre-recorded watching (as opposed to live), you will soon realize that MOST cable/sat programming is re-aired multiple times, minimizing the risk of conflicts. You could probably be better off with 2 HD-PVR's, and then a dual tuner HDHomeRun and antenna picking up the local broadcast channels (which don't have constant re-airings). This will give you 2 Sat channels which can include OTA as well), and 2 OTA only. This will likely result in little/no missed recordings.

Yes, you can watch livetv in sage (technically, it's watching recorded tv, very close to the end of the file). It will average anywhere from 4-10 seconds behind the actual live broadcast, usually not enough to matter.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-28-2011, 10:46 AM

Storage

Thanks Fuzzy forums like these are what makes technology work

Stupid question , do the HD-PVRs act as the storage device for sage? If so can some of the files be transferred to the PC drives if necessary , or better yet can the PVR be set to send its "overflow" to the PC when the on board drive is full in a FIFO type of arrangement? Any reccomendations on HD size/processor/RAM/OS would be also be much appreciated
Old 01-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Thanks Fuzzy forums like these are what makes technology work

Stupid question , do the HD-PVRs act as the storage device for sage? If so can some of the files be transferred to the PC drives if necessary , or better yet can the PVR be set to send its "overflow" to the PC when the on board drive is full in a FIFO type of arrangement? Any reccomendations on HD size/processor/RAM/OS would be also be much appreciated
Nothing is stored on the HDPVR; the audio/video are fed into the computer as a stream and written to a file on the hard drive while recording. At max quality (13.5Mbit) the files average about 6GB/hour so if you hoard it can add up pretty quick. Disk space is cheap, if you are buying new drives there's really no point in getting anything less than 1TB.

For OS I like Windows 7. Windows XP works, as does Windows Home Server, or Linux depending on what you are looking for.

CPU/RAM requirements really depend on your usage. Recording with an HDPVR is not too taxing. Playback can be if you don't have a video card that supports hardware decoding. Commercial skipping on h.264 files also requires some oomph as does transcoding files for storage or playback using Placeshifter. Generally a fast dual core or quad won't let you down. Fuzzy has been singing praises to the i3's so that may be something worth looking at
Old 01-28-2011, 02:15 PM

Thanks

Thanks Spectrum , much apprec

Too bad some of the storage on the HD-pvr cant be used ...but all in all its still a pretty good value.
Im looking at the HDTheatre 300s for playback , I imagine they represent a load similar to placeshifter.

Does anyone know if the Dish VIP211k will output hdmi and component at the same time? this would open my tuning options even further

Thanks to all for the help ... Hopefully I can have some info to give back once I get my hands on this thing.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

When i had Dish with a vip211k i know it played hdmi and s-video out at the same time. I would bet it does component too. Its not a diferant channel, same channel as the vip211k has only one tuner in it.

Quote:
Thanks Spectrum , much apprec

Does anyone know if the Dish VIP211k will output hdmi and component at the same time? this would open my tuning options even further

Thanks to all for the help ... Hopefully I can have some info to give back once I get my hands on this thing.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc9mm View Post
When i had Dish with a vip211k i know it played hdmi and s-video out at the same time. I would bet it does component too. Its not a diferant channel, same channel as the vip211k has only one tuner in it.
Yes it output component as well