SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

suggestions for sound no longer working on HD100

I recorded Heroes last night and sat down to watch it at 11pm. I watched to the end with no problem, the box popped up asking if i wanted to delete, save, etc and I chose to delete and set watched. At that point I no longer got sound from any sagetv output at that location. No sound on tv live or recorded, dvd or music recordings.

Set up:
HD100 video - component in to receiver, switched component out to tv
HD100 audio - optical in to Opt1 on receiver
As of last night the HD100 said it had no firmware updates available
The sage version I am running was whatever was current when I received the HD200 from the 12/16/2008 shipment (not at home to check). At that time I updated any drivers that needed it, all the firmwares and the sagetv server and clients. I have not touched the server settings since then, so it has been over a month running in the current configuration.

What I tried:
- Powered down HD100 for about a minute and rebooted, still no sound.
- Receiver tuner plays music fine.
- Switched xbox optical cable to Opt1 input and could hear the xbox fine, so Opt1 receiver port not the problem, nor is the receiver in general.
- Went to den and tried sagetv client on my computer and had sound fine in there, so basement sagetv server did not seem to be the problem. Rebooted it anyway. Before rebooting, I did see that the server showed java using over 1,000,000 memory, ouch, had not rebooted in a while lately, guess that is a good thing! Still no sound from that HD100
-1am, went to bed

Things to try:
- Check other HD100 to insure it is playing back audio.
- Switch out optical cable with the xbox cable to eliminate the cable as the problem
- Hook the other HD100 up at this location to narrow down the problem to something with the HD100
- dig out extender remote to make sure the extender itself did not mute itself somehow, though my MX-700 remote mute function controls the receiver mute and is not even configured to mute the sagetv box itself
- ???

any other suggestions on what this might be or what else to try? I had to think the HD100 crapped out on me. I just sent one of my MVP's to hauppauge when it stopped connecting to the network which was about 6 months after I sent in the other MVP for the same problem. And my HD200 in the bedroom has to be unplugged and rebooted between uses to get it to come on lately, have not even looked into that yet since we do not use it that often. Darn gremlins loose again!

Thanks for any assistance
Client2: HD200, 40" Samsung LCD bedroom
Client3: HD100, 42" Panasonic Plasma kid's playroom; Client4: MVP, 36" CRT basement workout area; Client5: MPV 13" CRT garage workbench
Old 02-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

so anyway, long story short...

uplugging and replugging in all cables, same results
using different optical cable provided same results
HD100 from upstairs worked using optical downstairs
HD100 from downstairs had sound using HDMI cable upstairs
HD100 from downstairs had sound using optical cable downstairs...

yes, I said that right. I plugged it all back in one more time before contacting tech support and it worked again. No idea how or why considering I had already disconnected and reconnected all cables previously. gremlins...

I did find it odd that when plugging in the box from downstairs using HDMI upstairs, I saw the dreaded HDMI color lines and cloudiness I have read about other people having. Yet the upstairs box does not have these lines. So I simply plugged everything back in just the way it was and will go about my business.
Client2: HD200, 40" Samsung LCD bedroom
Client3: HD100, 42" Panasonic Plasma kid's playroom; Client4: MVP, 36" CRT basement workout area; Client5: MPV 13" CRT garage workbench