SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Sage User

Question Another Newbie Needs Help

Good Morning. First of all many thanks to all of you experts who take time to post answers to questions that help all of us "newbies". I have decided to take the plunge and build a system, but I have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to.

First, my proposed setup would initially consist of a server located in a laundry room. Input would come from a STB w/ HDPVR for HD content, (2) HDHR's for analog, clear QAM, and OTA HD. This would serve, for now, only 2 televisions. No. 1 in bedroom, which I would use an extender with. The other tv is in our family room, and actually is located on the back side of the laundry room wall (where the server is located).

Question 1: Would it be better to have the server "drive" the tv located on the other side of the wall, or would I be better off to use another extender?

Question 2: Would my current network (10/100) carry the load or do I need to upgrade to gigabit?

Question 3: I am still unclear on how the control of the system is done through the remotes. Can someone suggest a link that might clear this up?

Sorry for the length of the post and all the questions. I am excited about moving from Tivo and being able to build a system that is expandable, able to record HD, and also able to stream to different areas of the house. Thanks again for all the help you guys provide.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

"(2) HDHR's for analog"

HDHR's can not handle analog.

1. I'd go with extenders versus the server. Reduces load on server.

2. !00mbs is fine. See my signature. I run on a 100mbs network.

3. Remotes come with the extenders or you can use multi-device remotes such as Logitech's Harmony.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Question 1: Would it be better to have the server "drive" the tv located on the other side of the wall, or would I be better off to use another extender?
This depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to tinker.
Right now, I "drive" my living room TV with my server but I just bought an HD200 last night for it. From my reading on this forum, I will be loosing the ability to play DVD/Bluray from my PC bluray drive. This isn't a big deal because I burn everything to my hard drive anyway. Also a couple plug-ins are not supported (Pandora is one). I decided to make the switch because of all the positive feadback the HD200 is getting on this forum and I am just sick of trying to get everything just right on my PC. Between display drivers(ATI), codecs, and software(CyberLink); it became a nightmare for me.

Quote:
Question 2: Would my current network (10/100) carry the load or do I need to upgrade to gigabit?
I think an HD feed can take up to 20mbps. So in theory you could have 5 HD streams, but I believe 3 is more realistic. So you shouldn't need to upgrade to gigabit.

Quote:
Question 3: I am still unclear on how the control of the system is done through the remotes. Can someone suggest a link that might clear this up?
If you go the PC route, you will need something like the USB-UIRT. This grabs the IR and sends it to the PC. From there you can either teach SageTV the IR commands for the remote you are using or you can use something like Eventghost. If you go the extender route, then it comes with a remote. If you want to use a different one, you can teach SageTV.

Last edited by chrishallowell; 02-05-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

Just to add a quick note:

Quote:
First, my proposed setup would initially consist of a server located in a laundry room.
I know you have your reasons, but this is probly the worst place to have a computer, let alone the server that houses all your media. Laundry rooms tend to be very humid and will wreck your components very quickly. If you must place your server here, I would strongly suggest a dehumidifier and make sure your dryer exhuast is sealed very, very tight.

As for your living room PC, I have a similar setup with all the equipment in the room behind my TV.

I initially went the rooute of running directly off the TV. I started configuring (i.e. tinkering) in June and in December, when I still couldnt get it to the point where my WAF was on an exeptable level, gave in and went the extender route. I have a Harmony remote and have 4 options (Activities) on it.

Watch DirecTV (For WAF backup protection)
Use Computer (For web browsing, Email, and server control)
Watch SageTV
Play Wii

As far as controlling the SageTV system running straight from a computer in the next room, here is what I did...

Harmony 890 Advanced Remote talks to the Harmony RF extender in next room

Harmony RF extender then sends IR to a USB-UIRT

The USB-UIRT sends the IR to the Server

Sage has the remote commands configured and understands.

The serve then sends the channel change information via a USB-Serial-USB cable chain to the DirecTV reciever

DirecTV understands and changes the channel

It seems like a lot of steps, but in fact it is quite fast. I recommend the Harmony 890 Advanced for you system as well, no matter if you go str8 from computer or use an extender. It will allow you to have all your equipment in the room behind the wall and just see the TV.

Remember... one of the main factors of having a high WAF, id not only having it work right and easy to use, but also... invisable.

If you want me to I can post some pictures on how I have it setup if you need some visual queues.

Casey
Old 02-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Sage User

Smile

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful replies. Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum.

It sounds almost unanimous that using the extender at all locations is the best choice - especially for me since my WAF is going to be EXTREMELY low at first - I will have to make this entire experience as painless as possible.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:46 PM
SageTVaholic

I have to agree that the laundry room is a bad idea. You've seen what the dryer's lint trap looks like after just one load of towels. Now picture a few weeks' worth of airborne lint being pulled into your PC case through every available crevice, including fans, filters, USB ports, and optical drives.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Do you have a closet or cabinet in your laundry room that isn't right next to the washer/dryer? My laundry room is long and narrow with the washer/dryer at one end and a closet at the other, maybe 10 feet apart. The closet doesn't any lint buildup. I would consider that for an equipment closet if it weren't a bad location otherwise.

Clients: HD200, HD300, Win7 Desktop

Capture Devices: Hauppauge Colossus & 1 HDHR, TV Service: Verizon FIOS
Old 02-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexhold View Post
Just to add a quick note:

I know you have your reasons, but this is probly the worst place to have a computer, let alone the server that houses all your media. Laundry rooms tend to be very humid and will wreck your components very quickly. If you must place your server here, I would strongly suggest a dehumidifier and make sure your dryer exhuast is sealed very, very tight.

As for your living room PC, I have a similar setup with all the equipment in the room behind my TV.

I initially went the rooute of running directly off the TV. I started configuring (i.e. tinkering) in June and in December, when I still couldnt get it to the point where my WAF was on an exeptable level, gave in and went the extender route. I have a Harmony remote and have 4 options (Activities) on it.

Watch DirecTV (For WAF backup protection)
Use Computer (For web browsing, Email, and server control)
Watch SageTV
Play Wii

As far as controlling the SageTV system running straight from a computer in the next room, here is what I did...

Harmony 890 Advanced Remote talks to the Harmony RF extender in next room

Harmony RF extender then sends IR to a USB-UIRT

The USB-UIRT sends the IR to the Server

Sage has the remote commands configured and understands.

The serve then sends the channel change information via a USB-Serial-USB cable chain to the DirecTV reciever

DirecTV understands and changes the channel

It seems like a lot of steps, but in fact it is quite fast. I recommend the Harmony 890 Advanced for you system as well, no matter if you go str8 from computer or use an extender. It will allow you to have all your equipment in the room behind the wall and just see the TV.

Remember... one of the main factors of having a high WAF, id not only having it work right and easy to use, but also... invisable.

If you want me to I can post some pictures on how I have it setup if you need some visual queues.

Casey
If you don't mind, I would like to see how you have it setup.

I did away with the cable box as it is hidden in the closet but now we still have the extender hanging out in the living room. It would be nice if I could hide that too.

So, I need some type of RF extender that is hidden (flat screen mounted on wall). Having the sage extender and rf extender in the next room would be great.

Last edited by Peter_h; 02-05-2009 at 04:42 PM.