SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:56 PM

Import Directories

I am new to Sage and am having a couple of issues with setting up import files. I am running the following:

SageTV HD Theater STP-HD200
HP MediaSmart Server EX470 with Windows Home Server
SageTV Media Server (V6.5 for Windows Home Server) ver. 6.5.8.203
Vista Home Premium 64-bit desktop

Files on the server in the shared directories are visible to the HD200.

I cannot get access to the files on the desktop PC from the HD200 when connected to the server or running sage on the server. The same thing happens both locations. I am trying to add import files as follows:

From the SAGE main menu --> setup --> detailed setup --> general --> media center inport directories modify --> add new directory

I then use the up directory button until I get to NETWORK folder. When I select this I get an invalid dirrectory message. Also on this page is current smb:////.

If I try to specify the file as \\servername\... get directory does not exist,do you want to create it? If I say yes, i get a failure error.

What is strange, is that if I do not connect to the server and run the sage interface, but instead run the HD200 from its main menu, i can see all off the files and directories.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Sage Expert

Not sure if this is the issue... If you are running sage as a service, you have to run the server as a user that has access to the share on the client.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-06-2009, 05:26 PM

I'm not running sage as a service - as far as i can tell. The WHS version od sage does not have the application installed to run as a service. Is there a way fro me to tell if it is running as a service on WHS?

The strange thing is that stand-alone mode allows me to see all computers on the network, but while connecte to the server, i cannot see the network, only the server drives.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Sage Expert

I am not sure on the WHS, i don't have it... Can you see the shares from the server with no issues? I believe you do have to use the \\server\sharename in the import directory. I usually use the "specify path" to add the share.
You can turn on debug in the sage.properties file, and when you scan for new content, you may see any errors in the debug file...

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-06-2009, 06:30 PM

I can see the shares on the server, can map them as drives, etc. I just can't get sage to see them. I have tried two ways to get save to share them. I have tried to browse to the mapped drive, but when I click the network folder I get an invalid directory.

I have also tries to specify the share as

\\officepc\users\home\pictures\

I get request toceate a directory and then a failed to create directory error.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFlex View Post
I'm not running sage as a service - as far as i can tell. The WHS version od sage does not have the application installed to run as a service. Is there a way fro me to tell if it is running as a service on WHS?

The strange thing is that stand-alone mode allows me to see all computers on the network, but while connecte to the server, i cannot see the network, only the server drives.
If you're running it on WHS it is running as a service if you installed it properly thru the WHS console. You need to change the service from running as localsystem to a user with a password that can access all the files on your network.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just to mention it, I just made this change (since I just added some non-local drives to the recording directories). In WHS, I went to Start->Run->services.msc and then went to the SageTV service, and then went to the Log On tab. Under there, you can give it a username and password to run the service. You then need to stop and restart the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
If you're running it on WHS it is running as a service if you installed it properly thru the WHS console. You need to change the service from running as localsystem to a user with a password that can access all the files on your network.

Gerry
Old 03-02-2009, 06:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

I can't figure out how to point the storage directory to \\server(localhost)\share from the HD200 or HD100. Right now I have them set to D:\shares\folder

I am running WHS

If I set the permissions as mentioned above will it show up?

2xhd300
Old 04-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post

Gerry
I know this is criminal thread resurrection, but this is exactly where my problem is. As Gerry suggested, I changed the service to a user with a password. And the good news is, I was able to finally access the share containing my ripped DVDs. The bad news is, suddenly all of my recordings were gone! Is there something I have to do to move the recordings (and whatever else) so that it will be seen when the service logs in as a user other than localsystem?