SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Sage User

Closed Captions help please

Could someone please help me enable Closed Captions for analog cable signals using an Xp Pro Machine with Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1950. I have already tried altering the setup file entry Closed_captions = true. but cannot seem to find any options at all dealing with CC.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:38 PM

Cant live without Closed Captioning

Hello guys

I am deaf, i bought a HVR-1800 wintv. i tried to install wintv but it says there is no components. so i installed sagetv, it works good, but i couldnt find a closed captioning to be enabled. . i have been looking around the forums and found some of threads, these parts i dont understand. please help me. i cant live without closed captioninng

Thank you

M

PST: Please pardon my grammar errors, and i know there is a few same threads but i was in rush.

Windows Xp Professional Sp3

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
intel dualcore e8400
nvidia 7900gto
HVR-1800

Last edited by pkmoazzam; 02-07-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmoazzam View Post
i cant live without closed captioninng
I hear you!

Unfortunately, the Sage people don't always read these threads. So you better email them and tell them all that! The more people they hear from, the more likely they'll start taking the captions problem seriously. mailto:support@sagetv.com

P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgilbert View Post
cannot seem to find any options at all dealing with CC.
Email them directly and tell them that you want captions! mailto:support@sagetv.com They need to hear from more people about this.

P.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

there is an entry in the FAQ:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...4757#post44757

it only works for a few hauppage cards though. this was a real dissappointment for me moving to sage from media center 2k5 where CC worked perfectly. I emailed the Sage crew about wanting this and they couldn't give me any firm details as to when it would be implemented for all hardware.

the more people who request it, the more likely it is to get prioritized so please email them!

-Striker-
Old 02-07-2009, 11:07 PM

hi Patilan,

i already emailed them. thank you

M
Old 02-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Sage User

Closed Captions.

It's the wife who is deaf and needs the captions. I fiddle with the computers. But I do have a few data points to share:
1. The Hauppauge 1950 USB box does show closed captions for Clear QAM cable broadcasts from Cox using WinTV ver 7. (a free download). But NOT on the analog channels. And not at all on WinTV ver 6.
2. In spite of the upcoming digital transition Cox appears to be intending to continue to send analog signals down the cable. Good! My ancient 27 inch Sony Trinitron is just as enjoyable as the latest and greatest digital flat screners!
3. SageTV admits, in its manual (Appdx K) that they do not support CC, which appears to be a software issue when using the appropriate hardware.
4. Hauppauge seems pretty sure that 250, 350 & 1950 are the only three good for CC. So perhaps, as other writers have said above, we should send in more requests for a proper handling of the software problem.
5. I really hoped I might have a solution by false/true-ing the CC option in the Sage TV Properties file, which is accessable using Notepad. And I went so far as to alter the backup Properties file as well. No observable effect!

From Google searches I am pretty sure there is someone out there who knows how to do this. I hope he joins this forum.
Striker, Why don't you tell us a bit more about your experiance with media center 2K5?

Last edited by sirgilbert; 02-08-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Sage Icon

Actually the 150 and 500 are also good for CC. Unfortunately the way the Sage does CC is that the capture card's drivers must embed the captions into the mpeg file. The driver feature that they need is called CCinDVD. AFAIK, only the 150, 250, 350 and 500 are documented to have that feature and have it work in Sage. Some of the new hybrid cards MAY support it on the analog side, but I haven't heard it difinitely.

On the digital capture side, the CC is embedded in the incoming digital stream so all the capture card does is dump the incoming stream to disk. No encoding needed so the CC is not lost.

Then, once the CC is embedded in the recording, either by using CCinDVD, or by saving the digital stream, then it is a matter of having your MPEG decoder display the CC. You need a DVD-capable decoder since the embedding method is CCinDVD.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Sage User

Hey Jack, Thank you for a most informative post. I knew there was someone out there with the pertinent knowledge. Google, good as it is, is not the greatest for uncovering this kind of technical knowhow. Gilbert.
PS: I was surprised to see you add a 500 to Hauppauge's list. In my search for CCs I am accumulating quite an array of hardware which actually includes a 500 that I got by mistake on E-Bay where it was wrongly listed as a 350. It came with a driver disk which I installed. Xp Device Manager correctly recognizes both tuners which kind of says it was not DOA. However none of the available software has produced any TV image and they do not seem to scan correctly for signals. Without a manual I am not too sure how to handle the dual tuners. I wonder if the guy could have sent me the driver disk for a 350 but a card clearly a 500. What kind of drivers do you have with your 500?

Last edited by sirgilbert; 02-08-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Add Post script.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:28 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Hey Jack, Thank you for a most informative post. I knew there was someone out there with the pertinent knowledge. Google, good as it is, is not the greatest for uncovering this kind of technical knowhow. Gilbert.
you're welcome.

Quote:
PS: I was surprised to see you add a 500 to Hauppauge's list. In my search for CCs I am accumulating quite an array of hardware which actually includes a 500 that I got by mistake on E-Bay where it was wrongly listed as a 350. It came with a driver disk which I installed. Xp Device Manager correctly recognizes both tuners which kind of says it was not DOA. However none of the available software has produced any TV image and they do not seem to scan correctly for signals. Without a manual I am not too sure how to handle the dual tuners. I wonder if the guy could have sent me the driver disk for a 350 but a card clearly a 500. What kind of drivers do you have with your 500?
I'd suggest that you download the latest drivers right from Hauppauge, http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_mce.html . You're sure its a 500? It has two tuner modules on the board and looks like this?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Sage User

Yes it is a 500

Jack, Yes that is exactly the card. Although it has a sticker and bar code on the back identifying it as a 350. It took me a while to figure that out, but the sticker has to be wrong, because your photo, and several references with photos on the internet all show the same dual tuner unit with identical output connections. Thanks for the driver tip. I will work on it. Gilbert
Old 02-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Sage Icon

that is wierd that someone would relable a 500 as a 350. YOu're sure it has two tuner modules? Those would be the chrome covers in the top left of the pic I posted. The 350 has one.

Now, the Coax inputs on the backplane, one is for TV-in and the other is for FM radio (which Sage doesn't use). On the 350, it also has two coax connectors, one is TV-in and the other is TV-out. I'd also comparethe rest of the connectors. the 350 and 500 do vary in the actual connectors.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Sage User

That's the one.

Yep That's the 500 with the 2 tuners. I am taking it up with the supplier, who is also puzzled. At least, he informs me, I am not the only one complaining.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Yep That's the 500 with the 2 tuners. I am taking it up with the supplier, who is also puzzled. At least, he informs me, I am not the only one complaining.
Why would you be complaining? You got two tuners instead of one.