SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Question HD200 not playing Dolby DTS sound ...

Tried to play an mkv movie which had a Dolby DTS coded audio (VideoInspector told me so). Great picture, no sound.

I have the HD200 hooked to my TV via component, and a friend told me that the HD200 probably did take the audio but only over HDMI/SDPF. It should downmux to stereo to be used over component.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Should the HD200 give stereo sound over component when it encounters a Dolby DTS audio?

Jan
Old 02-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "component" but you can't transmit audio over a component video cable, it's just for video.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:51 PM
SageTVaholic

The HD200 doesn't decode DTS. It just passes it through to your receiver via HDMI/SPDIF. Also make sure you select the bitstream output for the extender when you do this or you will get no sound as well.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 02-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Sage Icon

The only solution, until SageTV comes up with DTS decoding to stereo (if and when), is for either the TV to decode DTS (very few do) or to have a DTS decoder such as an AV amp to feed the TV or external speakers.

Bit of a pain.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohn View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "component" but you can't transmit audio over a component video cable, it's just for video.
I got my HD200 connected to my TV via the 3 component cables, and it plays video and audio. Not being that technical, it does seem to me that component does transmit both video and audio from the HD200 to the TV. Or am I missing something?

MeInMaui/Lucas, that's a bummer . So now I have mkv files with DTS audio, which I can not play through my HD200 unless I also upgrade my TV (currently no HDMI on it).

I was at the time able to play mkv files over the MVP, but can't recall if these were also with DTS. And the problem was that often the HTPC could not transcode quickly enough. Hence the HD200, being able to play it all (so I thoughy, but now stand corrected). But if the MVP could transcode, than surely the HD200 should be able to 'transcode' the DTS audio to stereo. But again, not being technical I may underestimate the problem in this.

Jan
Old 02-09-2009, 04:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

You can convert the DTS audio to AC3 so that the HD200 will play it. I use the heartware audio converter which was originally written for the PopcornHour. Tutorial and download link.
Popcornhour Wiki

It's simple and quick to use. A typical .mkv takes about 10 to 15 minutes to convert on my EEEbox. Someday I may have extra cash to buy a real Home theater reciever that decodes DTS but for now I'm stuck with converting.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParedis View Post
I got my HD200 connected to my TV via the 3 component cables, and it plays video and audio. Not being that technical, it does seem to me that component does transmit both video and audio from the HD200 to the TV. Or am I missing something?Jan
This is impossible. Component cables are ONLY video. You either have cables coming off the analog RCA jacks on the HD200 going to your TV or a receiver or you have an Optical cable connected to a receiver. (I don't think many TVs have an optical in)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:43 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I got my HD200 connected to my TV via the 3 component cables, and it plays video and audio. Not being that technical, it does seem to me that component does transmit both video and audio from the HD200 to the TV. Or am I missing something?

MeInMaui/Lucas, that's a bummer . So now I have mkv files with DTS audio, which I can not play through my HD200 unless I also upgrade my TV (currently no HDMI on it).

I was at the time able to play mkv files over the MVP, but can't recall if these were also with DTS. And the problem was that often the HTPC could not transcode quickly enough. Hence the HD200, being able to play it all (so I thoughy, but now stand corrected). But if the MVP could transcode, than surely the HD200 should be able to 'transcode' the DTS audio to stereo. But again, not being technical I may underestimate the problem in this.

Jan
You most likely also have a pair of stereo audio cables to your TV.

SageTV can also transcode DTS to stereo to your HD200(there is a property for it) but the Video is transoded as well. This means you need a really strong server and that the quality of the video suffers.

The best bet is to convert the audio as dgeezer outlined above.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
This is impossible. Component cables are ONLY video. You either have cables coming off the analog RCA jacks on the HD200 going to your TV or a receiver or you have an Optical cable connected to a receiver. (I don't think many TVs have an optical in)

Gerry
I don't have an optical cable (don't have an optical receiver), I have only the bundle of 3 cables between HD200 and TV. So maybe I'm not using the component, but the video/L/R (would that than be composite?) - will check this evening, but that seems thus the only setup that would work than.

Jan
Old 02-09-2009, 05:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeezer View Post
You can convert the DTS audio to AC3 so that the HD200 will play it. I use the heartware audio converter which was originally written for the PopcornHour. Tutorial and download link.
Popcornhour Wiki

It's simple and quick to use. A typical .mkv takes about 10 to 15 minutes to convert on my EEEbox. Someday I may have extra cash to buy a real Home theater reciever that decodes DTS but for now I'm stuck with converting.
Thx, going to give that a try. As Lucas said, this is better than having it transcoded (which I already now often has HTPC horse power issues).

Jan
Old 02-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I don't have an optical cable (don't have an optical receiver), I have only the bundle of 3 cables between HD200 and TV. So maybe I'm not using the component, but the video/L/R (would that than be composite?) - will check this evening, but that seems thus the only setup that would work than.

Jan
Yes, it sounds like you're using the composite cables. I presume this is a 480i TV. You'd probably be better off using Component or at least S-Video cable for the video if your TV supports it.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeezer View Post
Popcornhour Wiki

I immedately got a "Trojan horse BackDoor.Hupigon4.BCWM" virus alert when downloading the exe - so better check you system on virus.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

Cool

Currently there no solution, just to install receiver, or in case you luck off space (like me in 2 locations) I have installed JVC headphones DTS decoder ($100) to stereo in kitchen with 42" panasonic 1080p plasma.
and in master bedroom i have installed Creative DDTS-100 ($200) that connected to PC Alchemy amplifier with 50" 1280x768 fujitsu 5 years old plasma, at home theater room i already purchased Onkyo 906.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&highlight=dts

Sage Server: [s]8xDVB-S2 with DVBE4Sage on YES DBS Israel 4W (3 virtual tuners) ,[/s] 3 x HD300 Extenders; 3 x HD200 Extender; 3 x SageTV Client;

Last edited by bjkiller; 02-19-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've been using the popcornhour audioconverter for some time now to convert DTS tracks. I use AVG and it never finds any virus. Check out post 40 in this thread. I do believe that what you are seeing is a false positive, but I'm not 100% convinced.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:24 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I believe the issue with passing thru DTS vs decoding it is a matter of licensing. Sage probably didn't want to pay the license so the product could stay under $200. I can understand their business decision, since as an extension to Sage for the purpose of (HD)TV watching, DTS is not needed. It's only needed for imported files. The Popcorn Hour A110 supposedly does DTS downmixing, so it is possible. (not saying it's possible on the HD200, just that it is possible in general)

That being said, I would like the option. I'd be happy to pay a fair price for a DTS license for my HD200 units if possible. Or better yet, if Sage could utilize unused CPU cycles on my Sage Server, decode it for me and send stereo only. Either way, I think most of us would just be happy to hear something. Surround sound is not required, because if you wanted that, you'd buy an A/V receiver anyway.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:38 AM
Sage User

I wanted to write and express my sincere gratitude. The AudioConverter solution was simple and easy to implement and IT WORKS!!! Wonderfully!

Until I can get the Pioneer receiver coming out next month...thanks!