SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Would anyone know how many seconds the delay is when one is watching live HDTV and either pausing/playing or switching channels on an HDTV connected to the new HD200? I am interested in setups where the HD200 is used as an extender connected to an HTPC which is connected to a Hauppage HD PVR which is connected to an HD cable box.

I know there have been delays reported on here of 5 or 6 seconds or more, but that seems to be reported for people using the older HD100 box.

If you have an answer, please let me know if you are using firewire channel changing or the built in flasher in the HD PVR to change channels. Also, would having another tuner or HD-PVR simultaneously connected and recording at the same time affect the delay? Would a faster CPU or other hardware decrease the delay (if there is any)?

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSage View Post
Would anyone know how many seconds the delay is when one is watching live HDTV and either pausing/playing or switching channels on an HDTV connected to the new HD200? I am interested in setups where the HD200 is used as an extender connected to an HTPC which is connected to a Hauppage HD PVR which is connected to an HD cable box.
I just checked mine last night after your post. For channels that are using the HDHomeRun tuner and analog tuners it takes about a second between channels. For the Hauppauge HD-PVR connected with a USB-UIRT IR blaster it takes about 5 seconds give or take. Keep in mind I don't channel surf all that much. Even the wife mostly uses the guide for LiveTV searching and even more often we record and watch later - even if its 15 minutes later so we can skip commercials.

I personally don't think the HD200 is too much faster than the HD100 for channel changes. If it is it's probably a second faster not much more for me at least. Thats because the time for channel changes are more dependant on the tuner, IR blaster etc.

Quote:
If you have an answer, please let me know if you are using firewire channel changing or the built in flasher in the HD PVR to change channels.
Hopefully some people using firewire for channel changes can help out with this question.

Quote:
Also, would having another tuner or HD-PVR simultaneously connected and recording at the same time affect the delay?
I don't think it would affect the delay no.

Quote:
Would a faster CPU or other hardware decrease the delay (if there is any)?
Thanks.
Possibly, but channel changes are mostly dependant on the IR blaster, the cable box doing the channel changes.