SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Problem playing .mkv files.

The SageTV client on my HTPC does stop after about 17sec playing a 1:51:36 .mkv movie. Playing the movie with VLC works just fine.

Some background:
I have an HD .wmv movie that uses wma pro as audio codec.
- Plays perfect on SageTV on my HTCP
- Through the HD200, perfect image, no sound (as the HD200 does not support wma pro).
- Through VLC on the HTPC, perfect image, again no sound (error message "No suitable decoder module: VLC does not support the audio or video format "wmap". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this."

To be able to play it through my HD200, I used WMV Converter to convert the movie from .wmv to .mkv with ac3 audio instead of wma pro. After that conversion
- Stops after 17sec on SageTV on the HTPC.
- Through the HD200, perfect image, stuttering sound.
- Through VLC, perfect image and sound.

To resolve this step-by-step, I'm looking here for any input/question that can help understand/resolve that file playing on the HTPC. Once that's done, I get to the HD200 (if than still a problem).

Oh yeah, what's also strange. When it stops in SageTV on the HTPC, I close SageTV using the big X in the right corner instead of confirming the stop, the sounds seems to continue for another fraction of a second. Never heard something like that before.

So ... any ideas/thoughts/input ...
If you need more file info, if possible provide a tool I can use to obtain that info - don't have that many tools that give wmv/mkv info.

Jan
Old 02-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via MSN to Kryspy
Do you have Haali Media splitter installed? (Mastroka)

Kryspy
Old 02-18-2009, 11:08 AM
SageTVaholic

You can use MediaInfo to create a list of information from the MKV file.

Make sure you have the latest MKVtoolnix and Haali Media Splitter. According to Haali's web site apparently they fixed some kind of bug with VC-1 inside MKV which I assume your file probably is.

Depending on the problem it unfortunately may be easier to transcode the video from the Windows Media video (possibly VC-1) to H.264.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryspy View Post
Do you have Haali Media splitter installed? (Mastroka)

Kryspy
Not sure. I got Haali Matroska Muxer version 1.9.43.1. An older version was installed with the WMV Converter I use, and I had to update it with latest version. Must say that I can not find it under my programs (not sure it should be there), but it must be installed as WMV Converter now works.

Although it says Muxer on the about screen, the link to it refers to it as Haali Media Splitter. And the exe I used to install it was MatroskaSplitter.exe, so probably the one you are talking about.

Jan
Old 02-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
You can use MediaInfo to create a list of information from the MKV file.

Make sure you have the latest MKVtoolnix and Haali Media Splitter. According to Haali's web site apparently they fixed some kind of bug with VC-1 inside MKV which I assume your file probably is.

Depending on the problem it unfortunately may be easier to transcode the video from the Windows Media video (possibly VC-1) to H.264.
Did use MediaInfo, attached result.

Believe I have the lastest Haali Media Splitter, no clue about MKVtoolnix. But the mkv does play in VLC perfectly (on my PC), so why not through SageTV on my PC?

Jan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MediaInfo.jpg (55.7 KB, 260 views)
Old 02-18-2009, 04:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParedis View Post
Did use MediaInfo, attached result.

Believe I have the lastest Haali Media Splitter, no clue about MKVtoolnix. But the mkv does play in VLC perfectly (on my PC), so why not through SageTV on my PC?

Jan
I think your problem is the VC-1 video.

It will take a while but you may try transcoding the video to H.264 using MeGUI. Don't bother with the audio since you've already converted it. You can then use MKVMerge to bring the video and audio together.

You might also try and see if you can get those into an m2ts container. AFAIK WMV, MKV and m2ts are the only containers that support VC-1 video.