SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-20-2009, 09:56 AM
SageTVaholic

It's in the SageTV- Detailed Setup-Advanced-Load at Windows Startup. Set to disable. I mentioned that in previous posts.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Sage Fanatic

Setup - Detailed Setup - Advanced - Load at Windows Startup - No.

EDIT:
Gerry beat me...
Old 02-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
It's in the SageTV- Detailed Setup-Advanced-Load at Windows Startup. Set to disable. I mentioned that in previous posts
Noted. I gave it a shot, but could not find it. Chalked up a couple more points to the notion that I'm slowly losing my mind.

Then, after reading your note, it dawned on me that maybe "Setup" was different for PlaceShifter and SageTV - I had been going in via PlaceShifter.

Went in via SageTV and, sure enough, there it was....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SageTV Setup Differs From PlaceShifter.jpg (184.7 KB, 133 views)
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna
Old 02-20-2009, 03:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCress View Post
Noted. I gave it a shot, but could not find it. Chalked up a couple more points to the notion that I'm slowly losing my mind.

Then, after reading your note, it dawned on me that maybe "Setup" was different for PlaceShifter and SageTV - I had been going in via PlaceShifter.

Just in case it's not clear, when you change client-specific options in Setup, you're changing them for the client you're using to make the changes. So for Placeshifter, you're changing the options that affect that instance of Placeshifter (which does not have a load-on-startup option). If you want to change client options for the server's UI, you have to use the server's UI to do it.

Unfortunately it's not always obvious which options are client-specific and which are system-wide. For instance in the General category, the ones dealing with recording and import directories are system-wide, but on the same screen you also have client-specific options such as screen saver and animation options.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

That's why I referenced my previous posts when you were losing your mind on the Sage UI vs running Placeshifter issue on your server. You need to run the UI on the server like you were doing before if you're going to stop it from loading on the server.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Just in case it's not clear, when you change client-specific options in Setup, you're changing them for the client you're using to make the changes. So for Placeshifter, you're changing the options that affect that instance of Placeshifter...
Can anybody think of anything bandwidth-specific that could be set differently for different HD200's and, maybe, a Client?

I'm thinking of Client running on my little WiFi-connected, Atom-powered laptop - which doesn't render HD for beans.

I don't think bandwith is an issue bc the HD200 connected to a WiFi gaming bridge in the garage works fine with highest quality recordings.

The workaround would be to specify

Setup | Detailed Setup | MultiMedia | Recording Quality | Set Quality | Default Quality = Fair

and then work my way up the qualities until the laptop started having problems and fall back to the highest quality that works for it.

But that would bring everything else down to that lowest common denominator of quality.

I'm wondering there is something in Sage that can customize the bandwidth of the stream sent to the device using it - where Sage sends a different stream depending....

More likely, I guess, is that the same stream gets sent no matter what - totally dependent on recording quality.
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Can anybody think of anything bandwidth-specific that could be set differently for different HD200's and, maybe, a Client?

I'm thinking of Client running on my little WiFi-connected, Atom-powered laptop - which doesn't render HD for beans.

I don't think bandwith is an issue bc the HD200 connected to a WiFi gaming bridge in the garage works fine with highest quality recordings.

The workaround would be to specify

Setup | Detailed Setup | MultiMedia | Recording Quality | Set Quality | Default Quality = Fair

and then work my way up the qualities until the laptop started having problems and fall back to the highest quality that works for it.

But that would bring everything else down to that lowest common denominator of quality.

I'm wondering there is something in Sage that can customize the bandwidth of the stream sent to the device using it - where Sage sends a different stream depending....

More likely, I guess, is that the same stream gets sent no matter what - totally dependent on recording quality.
The recording quality setting has absolutely no effect on OTA or clear QAM recordings. Neither SageTV or the card, or in your case HDHR, does compression. It simply captures the digital stream it's receiving as-is and saves it to your hard drive. There is no way to adjust the quality you receive.

The only thing you could do is convert those recordings to a format your Atom laptop can play smoothly.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
The recording quality setting has absolutely no effect on OTA.... It simply captures the digital stream it's receiving as-is and saves it to your hard drive. There is no way to adjust the quality you receive.
This may sound a little obtuse, but I want to make sure I've got it right: even though I go to the menu that lists my tuner cards and choose one of the other resolutions, Sage will still record at whatever resolution is coming off of the tuner card..... and the resolution coming off of the tuner card cannot be changed.

Sounds reasonable in retrospect bc anything else would mean transcoding on-the-fly.... which would bring even the mightiest server to it's knees with, say, four concurrent recordings going on.

Have I got it right?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
This may sound a little obtuse, but I want to make sure I've got it right: even though I go to the menu that lists my tuner cards and choose one of the other resolutions, Sage will still record at whatever resolution is coming off of the tuner card..... and the resolution coming off of the tuner card cannot be changed.

Sounds reasonable in retrospect bc anything else would mean transcoding on-the-fly.... which would bring even the mightiest server to it's knees with, say, four concurrent recordings going on.

Have I got it right?
Right, when you're dealing with recording OTA digital programming all SageTV does is captures the exact digital stream it's receiving. It does no modification of the quality or resolution.