SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Time remaining on video

Hi,
I was a BTV user until recently and now really like SageTV. My question is that w/ BTV I had a setup where each show i would cut the commercials out with comskip then compress them down w/ ffmpeg. Works great and works great with Sage except the timeline is incorrect now. when watching a show instead of being of course at 0:00:00 it's at some random time and the end count is off. also the marker as to where you are in the show is off.

Is there some way to correct this?
Old 02-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzup View Post
Hi,
I was a BTV user until recently and now really like SageTV. My question is that w/ BTV I had a setup where each show i would cut the commercials out with comskip then compress them down w/ ffmpeg. Works great and works great with Sage except the timeline is incorrect now. when watching a show instead of being of course at 0:00:00 it's at some random time and the end count is off. also the marker as to where you are in the show is off.

Is there some way to correct this?
yes, but it involves installing the SageTV Web User Interface found here. Once you have that installed you can select the show in your browser, look for "Edit Show Info" on its page, click it and then edit the time properties near the bottom of the resulting page. Sage figures out the length of the recording on its own, but the file start time is probably off.

if there is another way anyone knows of, please chime in!
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL
Old 02-23-2009, 07:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
yes, but it involves installing the SageTV Web User Interface found here. Once you have that installed you can select the show in your browser, look for "Edit Show Info" on its page, click it and then edit the time properties near the bottom of the resulting page. Sage figures out the length of the recording on its own, but the file start time is probably off.

if there is another way anyone knows of, please chime in!
Thanks that did fix the time, but there has got to be a better way at least have it done automattically instead of me going in to each recording to correct. So if someone else knows a way I would appreciate knowing what.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzup View Post
Thanks that did fix the time, but there has got to be a better way at least have it done automattically instead of me going in to each recording to correct. So if someone else knows a way I would appreciate knowing what.
Good to hear! Unfortunately, I don't know of any other way within Sage to fix a recording's timeline other than using the web interface.

The problem seems to be the timeline in the file itself. I don't know much about commercial cutting but, you might try searching around for a different app than ffmpeg for creating the new file; I think ffmpeg is corrupting the timeline when assembling the segments. I seem to remember there was an app that could fix corrupted timelines in a file. If I recall the name I'll post. Maybe it was an option to ffmpeg itself...

In the meantime, could you live with using the .edl file from Comskip and using the commercial skipping interface instead?
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL
Old 02-23-2009, 02:13 PM
SageTVaholic

You can use Videredo to do the cutting. You do have to pay for the app but it is generally regarded to be the best MPEG-2 editing software and they are working on a H.264 version. You can also automate it to use comskip files to do the cuts. One caveat - I have not used it for this myself.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
You can use Videredo to do the cutting. You do have to pay for the app but it is generally regarded to be the best MPEG-2 editing software and they are working on a H.264 version. You can also automate it to use comskip files to do the cuts. One caveat - I have not used it for this myself.
I do use videoredo with comskip and it does work great. been using it for several years now.

phelme - I will look into another method to compress, perhaps handbrake.
when I get a chance i will need to take file and compare the precompressed file with the commercials cut to see when it actually gets thrown off.
thanks for all your help.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

i've been having odd issues along the same lines...

in the odd instance that my HDPVR does actually record something, if I tune in mid-recording and start skipping through content watching some and then skipping more, i often find that when skipping forward it will jump forward several minutes in the video file but only a few seconds on the timeline; I will of course then rewind the content to see what i've missed and the timeline gets further messed up.

this was extremely frustrating last night and the WAF went through the floor

not sure if its directly related to this, but i'd love to know what a solution would be for recordings that are still in progress...

-Striker-