SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Sage Icon

What does the new BluRay support mean?

I don't think this has been asked today, i'm sure opus will merge me if so.

I saw this in today's beta announcement:
Quote:
We've also got one new piece of fun for those of you with HD extenders (currently only HD200). We've got support now for playing back BluRays that are in a BDMV folder structure. There's no support for menus or interactive features. But it does support multiple audio tracks, chapter selection and later will also support subtitles.
What does that mean? I can just rip the DVD with AnyDVD-HD to a Sage Import directory, refresh my imported media, and bada-bing, Sage knows which .m2ts (or set of .m2ts) files are the main movie?
Old 02-26-2009, 05:19 AM
Sage Expert

Read more here: http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/bd-mv.cfm

Once they nail playback, sounds like Sage may be going down the path of supporting Blu-ray menus and other interactive features that you get with the BDMV structure.
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 02-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm a bit confused. I know they mean Bluray playback on HD200, but what about my client machine? If not, why not?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
I may be wrong, but the way I'm taking it is that they mean BDMV as in the file structure that a ps3 or blu-ray player can take for consumer made content. In other words it can play back blu-ray backups that have been formatted to play on blu-ray machines, not just ones put into a mkv or mp4 container.

Blu-ray support would be great in the end, but there's a reason why not a lot of people have attempted it. Its my understanding that some of the requirements and money you have to put up in case your software isn't secure makes it really not worth it.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:36 AM
SageTVaholic

I think that sage will try to offer unencryped bluray playback, much like the offer unencrypted dvd playback. Doing this probably doesn't open up any security liabilities, because they are not attempting to license the bluray security. This would allow people to watch their blu ray home movies using the extender. (that's what I think)
Old 02-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Sage Expert

I'm pretty sure this means you can play Blu-Ray disks ripped to your computer/server aith AnyDVD. At least if that's not the case, I'd be really disappointed with the way they announced it.

I wonder if the HD100 will support at some point too. That would be nice.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Sage Icon

The post didn't differentiate between HD100 and HD200. Notwithstanding, I think the HD200 will have a better chance of playing most of them. The HD100 may not be powerful enough to play some of the titles.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
I don't think this has been asked today, i'm sure opus will merge me if so.

I saw this in today's beta announcement:

What does that mean? I can just rip the DVD with AnyDVD-HD to a Sage Import directory, refresh my imported media, and bada-bing, Sage knows which .m2ts (or set of .m2ts) files are the main movie?
It means Sage will recognize a Blu-ray structure (<moviename>/BDVM/Stream Playslist, etc, Misc files) as a single "Blu-ray" object, just like it does today with DVDs. It also means that Sage provides chapter support (DVD Next/Prev chapter work) for Blu-ray. But there's no menus or other BD-J types stuff, it just plays the main movie (presumably the longest playlist).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbig119 View Post
I'm a bit confused. I know they mean Bluray playback on HD200, but what about my client machine? If not, why not?
PCs lack the Directshow filters necessary to play Blu-ray structures still at this point. There's no Dshow filter that you can feed a Blu-ray path and have it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokurin View Post
I may be wrong, but the way I'm taking it is that they mean BDMV as in the file structure that a ps3 or blu-ray player can take for consumer made content. In other words it can play back blu-ray backups that have been formatted to play on blu-ray machines, not just ones put into a mkv or mp4 container.
Yes it means Sage will recoginize the file/folder structure of a Blu-ray rip as a single mediafile object (just like DVDs) though it only supports chapters and the main movie at this point.

Quote:
Blu-ray support would be great in the end, but there's a reason why not a lot of people have attempted it. Its my understanding that some of the requirements and money you have to put up in case your software isn't secure makes it really not worth it.
There is to get the AACS license to decrypt Blu-ray content, but Sage is only supporting recognizing of the structure, and currently only a very limited subset of Blu-ray functionality (ie no BD-J/menus).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
I'm pretty sure this means you can play Blu-Ray disks ripped to your computer/server aith AnyDVD. At least if that's not the case, I'd be really disappointed with the way they announced it.
Should be, I've tried a rip I remuxed (movie-only) with TSMuxer, but haven't tried a direct rip yet. I don't see why it would be different though.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Sage Icon

Anyone tried this with a shared BD drive direct from disc?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
Anyone tried this with a shared BD drive direct from disc?
Works like a charm on the HD-200 with any dvd hd software loaded/resident. Drive needs to be one of your movie import folders. Sage audio language selection menu works as well.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 02-26-2009, 02:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Okay this sounds great can't wait to try it tonight.

Now if only we could get support for the higher audio codecs in linear pcm like they were working on. I know bitstreaming with never happen but I don't care as my ps3 can't bitstream it either.

kutos to you sage
Old 02-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

PCs lack the Directshow filters necessary to play Blu-ray structures still at this point. There's no Dshow filter that you can feed a Blu-ray path and have it work.
Both TMT and PDVD provide directshow BR disc navigators.

They're undocumented so not terribly useful, but could be if Sage worked something out with Cyberlink or ArcSoft.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Agreed, this is pretty neat, great work for getting this working. Personally, I don't care if they ever get BR-J menu's working as I tend to view them as the annoying stuff standing in between me and the movie I want to watch anyway.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
Works like a charm on the HD-200 with any dvd hd software loaded/resident. Drive needs to be one of your movie import folders. Sage audio language selection menu works as well.
Just confirmed for my self as well with Blue Planet... sweet!!!

Now if you could just get the server to recognize a usb BR drive plugged into the port on the extender....
Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
Both TMT and PDVD provide directshow BR disc navigators.

They're undocumented so not terribly useful, but could be if Sage worked something out with Cyberlink or ArcSoft.
But do they work, last time I tried the one with Arcsoft, it just crashed everything. It's like they made them then realized they don't work and never took them out.

The apps themselves don't even use them, since DirectShow can't be a secure path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
Agreed, this is pretty neat, great work for getting this working. Personally, I don't care if they ever get BR-J menu's working as I tend to view them as the annoying stuff standing in between me and the movie I want to watch anyway.
It would be nice if they could get the popup menu working, that's nice for navigation, but I agree on the rest.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:48 PM
SageTVaholic

How does this work with audio tracks? Does Sage automatically pick one that it can support and if so is it likely and/or possible to have a disc that *doesn't* have an audio track that Sage supports?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:57 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm not sure you can have a disc with a format Sage doesn't support, I believe a Blu-ray has to have PCM, DD or DTS on it, and the TrueHD and DTS-HD MA contain legacy core streams which the extenders extract and pipe over S/PDIF.

As noted in other threads though, it's only passthrough, (the AC3 core from TrueHD may be decoded, I'm not sure), and PCM results in stereo.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Good enough for me. Sounds like I need to pick up a BR drive from Fry's this weekend
Old 02-26-2009, 05:06 PM
SageTVaholic

FWIW, I'm going to throw Hancock "raw" at it and see what happens, it's a playlist of 19 m2ts files....
Old 02-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Now if only we could get support for the higher audio codecs in linear pcm like they were working on. I know bitstreaming with never happen but I don't care as my ps3 can't bitstream it either.
I don't see why they can't bitstream. These movies have already had their DRM protection removed, or they wouldn't play at all. I would expect bitstreaming to be easier to support than actually decoding the new formats and sending tham as PCM.