SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Question DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD via HDMI 1.3?

Hello,

I plan to build new HTPC (with SageClient) to handle HD Video (1080p) and HD Audio ( DTS-HD и Dolby TrueHD) and output via same HDMI 1.3 port?

Which motherboard/video card i need to use to handle this load (hd audio)?

Thank you in advance.

Sage Server: [s]8xDVB-S2 with DVBE4Sage on YES DBS Israel 4W (3 virtual tuners) ,[/s] 3 x HD300 Extenders; 3 x HD200 Extender; 3 x SageTV Client;
Old 03-01-2009, 09:59 AM
SageTVaholic

The ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 is the only HDMI 1.3 device that supports bitstreaming, and I believe, only the bundled Totalmedia Theater is the only app that will do it.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
The ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 is the only HDMI 1.3 device that supports bitstreaming, and I believe, only the bundled Totalmedia Theater is the only app that will do it.
What about video? ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 this is only audio card!

Sage Server: [s]8xDVB-S2 with DVBE4Sage on YES DBS Israel 4W (3 virtual tuners) ,[/s] 3 x HD300 Extenders; 3 x HD200 Extender; 3 x SageTV Client;
Old 03-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=11638

video and audio according to the website
The question is Sage Client will support audio via ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 ?

Old 03-01-2009, 02:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkiller View Post
What about video? ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 this is only audio card!
You route the video card's HDMI into the Xonar, which mixes in audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkiller View Post
The question is Sage Client will support audio via ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 ?
Not unless the bundled TMT installs DirectShow filters that bitstream HD codecs over HDMI. I'd suggest checking the thread on AVS for info about that.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Sage Expert

You are asking to get into a world of hurt . I've fought that battle for a long time and finally found a non-hTPC solutino that might work for you depending on your needs.....

1) Get a HD200 from SageTV for PVR and media playback (non-HD Audio)
2) Get a Popcorn Hour A-110 for bitstreaming TrueHD and DTS-MA.

There are obviously things that this combo can't do like a real BluRay disc or DVD, but once ripped to the server, it's no problem.

-Brian
Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake550 View Post
You are asking to get into a world of hurt . I've fought that battle for a long time and finally found a non-hTPC solutino that might work for you depending on your needs.....

1) Get a HD200 from SageTV for PVR and media playback (non-HD Audio)
2) Get a Popcorn Hour A-110 for bitstreaming TrueHD and DTS-MA.

There are obviously things that this combo can't do like a real BluRay disc or DVD, but once ripped to the server, it's no problem.

-Brian
I have centraly controlled smart home, additional not supported A-110 device, it's not a good idea. I prefer to spend more on HTPC that will be SageClient (that CQC software that control my house - can control).

Old 03-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Sage Expert

I hear you.....I've had an HTPC for 4-5 years now and when I saw the pricetag on the Asus HD bitstreaming card, I looked for another solution and the PCH A-110 looked awesome. Granted, I don't have the smart home situation you have.

Good luck.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Question

Quote:
Not unless the bundled TMT installs DirectShow filters that bitstream HD codecs over HDMI. I'd suggest checking the thread on AVS for info about that.
AVS forum do not speaking about SageTV.

Do anybody here expirienced with SageTV with Asus Xonar to bitstream HD audio via HDMI?

Old 03-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Sage Expert

It will not work with Sage doing bitstreaming....it requires PAP and the only way to get that is with a driver/software combo.

In other words, it will never legally work in Sage until Sage creates a PAP and gets certified. I'd love to see it, but I doubt it.

-Brian
Old 03-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Question

Quote:
It will not work with Sage doing bitstreaming....it requires PAP and the only way to get that is with a driver/software combo.

In other words, it will never legally work in Sage until Sage creates a PAP and gets certified. I'd love to see it, but I doubt it.

-Brian
very strange, the content i have (mkv, or bluray rips without any encryption) .
it's play no problem HD Audio in LPCM format - wihtout any special license?
but for transfer DTS-MA, or other HD Audio via hdmi cable - need special license? even no need license from Dolby lab - in case your receiver decode it.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
AACS requires PAP, that's not a requirement inherent in bitstreaming.

Quote:
Since Sage doesn't (nor can it) deal with AACS protected content, PAP and protected video paths are non-issues for Sage.

The only question (as I noted above) is whether the special version of TMT that ships with the Xonar HDAV comes with Dshow filters that support bitstreaming HBR audio, and if they work in 3rd party apps.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:07 PM
SageTVaholic

From what I've been reading from the avs thread there is no way for other apps to use the bitstreaming ability of the hdav1.3. It requires a special version of tmt to get the audio to work correctly.

Other than what I've said the only thing you can do is buy one and give it a try. I'm considering this solution for myself and would love to know how well the card works.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation

Quote:
The only question (as I noted above) is whether the special version of TMT that ships with the Xonar HDAV comes with Dshow filters that support bitstreaming HBR audio, and if they work in 3rd party apps.
My friend next week will get new computer with Xonar HDAV card, so may be he will allow me to install Sage to test.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Any updates?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Sage User

"The only question (as I noted above) is whether the special version of TMT that ships with the Xonar HDAV comes with Dshow filters that support bitstreaming HBR audio, and if they work in 3rd party apps. "

This is exactly what I am waiting to hear... If there are TMT directshow filters that I can build a graph with and will allow me to stream through the Xonar, I'd be a stoked panda. Anyone been able to test this?