SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 PM
SageTVaholic

I finally fixed my problem - I deleted the follwing lines from my sage.properties which (I am guessing) caused Sage to reregister and regenerate a new locator ID:

locator/enable_registration=true
locator/id=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
locator/system_id_base=-123456789
Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
He means the Info button on your remote, or Ctrl+I on the keyboard.
The file systeminfo.txt file was not created after viewing the system info.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I finally fixed my problem - I deleted the follwing lines from my sage.properties which (I am guessing) caused Sage to reregister and regenerate a new locator ID:

locator/enable_registration=true
locator/id=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
locator/system_id_base=-123456789
Congradulations! So you are able to use placeshifter outside LAN?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
The file systeminfo.txt file was not created after viewing the system info.
After using the Info command, the file is created in the SageTV directory where sagetv.exe is located. You have to wait for the System Status line to finish updating before the Info command will work -- see p. 199 of the v6.5 PDF manual.

If you are trying to do this in Placeshifter, the file will be on the SageTV server.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Sage User

This is the next reply from sage support:

"Try this. On the server, close SageTV and the service and then delete
everything inside the client folder. Then try connecting from the internet."

What does he mean? Does he want me to delete what's in the client folder on the server and then restart the service and try to connect the placeshifter from outside LAN?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Sage User

Here's my reply:

Please see the attached file for system information. I deleted the files in the client folder on the server and restarted the service. I then went to my neighbor's house with my laptop and placeshifter.
"Locator Failed to Find Server"
You know I'm running windows home server correct?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
This is the next reply from sage support:

"Try this. On the server, close SageTV and the service and then delete
everything inside the client folder. Then try connecting from the internet."

What does he mean? Does he want me to delete what's in the client folder on the server and then restart the service and try to connect the placeshifter from outside LAN?
Placeshifter settings are in the client folder so by deleting, you are wiping the previous settings just in case there is something in there causing the problems.

This is what I would do.

1.) Stop sagetv.exe and sagetvservice.exe
2.) delete everything inside the client folder.
3.) restart whs
4.) connect with another computer inside the network via placeshifter and verify it is working.
5.) test placeshifter outside of network.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Here's my reply:

Please see the attached file for system information. I deleted the files in the client folder on the server and restarted the service. I then went to my neighbor's house with my laptop and placeshifter.
"Locator Failed to Find Server"
You know I'm running windows home server correct?
After you did the above, did you try on your lan again with your laptop to confirm that placeshifter was working?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_h View Post
After you did the above, did you try on your lan again with your laptop to confirm that placeshifter was working?
Yes, it was working on LAN and it also found the server using the locator ID. But it only worked on LAN.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Sage User

The sage support guy has been saying that he was able to log using my locator ID and he was prompted for the initial configuration wizard. So that got me thinking. I deleted the files in the client folder and uninstalled placeshifter. I then reinstalled placeshifter and logged on from LAN and was prompted for the configuration wizard but closed the application before walking through it.

Then I went to the neighbor's house, and sure enough, I was able to log in and walked through the configuration wizard. I then streamed some FLAC music files to make sure it was working (and it was). I changed a couple of view settings (columns, rows ect.) and closed the application.

Then I tried to log back in several times and the same old problem was back (main menu with the tabs grayed out and pushed so far to the right that I could only see the first letter of every option and then crash). I will diagnose the exact way to reproduce this problem over the next few days.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
The sage support guy has been saying that he was able to log using my locator ID and he was prompted for the initial configuration wizard. So that got me thinking. I deleted the files in the client folder and uninstalled placeshifter. I then reinstalled placeshifter and logged on from LAN and was prompted for the configuration wizard but closed the application before walking through it.

Then I went to the neighbor's house, and sure enough, I was able to log in and walked through the configuration wizard. I then streamed some FLAC music files to make sure it was working (and it was). I changed a couple of view settings (columns, rows ect.) and closed the application.

Then I tried to log back in several times and the same old problem was back (main menu with the tabs grayed out and pushed so far to the right that I could only see the first letter of every option and then crash). I will diagnose the exact way to reproduce this problem over the next few days.
That's definately some progress. If you can consistently reproduce it, maybe the logs will tell you something.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_h View Post
That's definately some progress. If you can consistently reproduce it, maybe the logs will tell you something.
It happens consistently. I now know that it doesn't matter whether I change settings. I can walk through the settup and see the main menu then close the program and am unable to sucessfully log back in on the very next try.

My next step is to make a set of logs that includes me walking through the settup, getting to the main menu, closing the application, and then logging back in to see the issue and crash. I will send these to sage support and look through them myself.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Sage User

Here's the last reply from sage support:

"I was able to reproduce it here. Can you get me logs again from the server and placeshifter."

I am working on getting him the logs. I also loaded Place shifter on my brother's laptop and apparently it doesn't effect Vista. I know, I can't believe it either. I logged in several times with Vista but was unable to get it to work with XP.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Sage User

Here's my latest reply to sage support:

"The following logs include the session where I stepped through the setup on placeshifter, entered the main menu, selected the media center and music. I let it refresh and show the album art before shutting down the application. This session is shown in the "Logfile_good" file. I then attempted to reconnect the placeshifter and the error occurred. This session is shown in the "Logfile_bad" file.

The "sagetv_0" file contains both sessions described above and nothing else because I deleted all previous logs to make this as easy for you to diagnose as possible. The zipped server folder also contains the system info file.

If you would like me to create logs for any other scenario, I will be happy to do so."
Old 04-02-2009, 06:56 AM
Sage User

Here's the latest reply from sage support:

"It looks like the developers found the issue and will be fixed in a future version.

Here's workaround for now; you can go into the placeshifter Settings (prior to connecting to the server) and then for 'Local Filesystem Security' you should select 'disable server access'."

The workaround worked for me! I can't believe it was just this simple option in placeshifter settings. I could have sworn I tried this already. I'm glad they will fix this problem in a future release.

I hope this helps others with this issue.

Hey moderator, is there a way to mark this thread solved?

Last edited by lazy; 04-02-2009 at 08:37 AM.