SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-23-2009, 06:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sage TV V5 Has stopped recording shows?

I just finished a fresh install of the system and sage tv v5 has stopped recording my programming.

when a scheduled program comes on it starts recording. I see it creating the mpg files (using dvd fair) multiple mpg files usually.

but when its all done it deletes them. ??

last night I did a manual record and I got it this time but only 2.55mb worth of it (a few seconds) 9 seconds actually.

It was working fine the first night now splat. I am not even sure where to begin on fixing this. I have auto delete set to manual for all favorites (I wish I could set that globally as I would never ever ever want it to auto delete anything :-)

Its starting to look like if I leave the program VISIBLE it records the show but if I put the program on standby (click standby on the main menu) it does NOT successfully record the program.

I have to leave for work but I will try and test this by scheduling a few program during the day and see if it keeps them.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by nerys; 03-23-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:12 AM
SageTVaholic

If I am not mistaken, Sage will delete a recording if it is utter rubbish. Are you sure your capture card didn't go bad? You might try using any manufacturer supplied software to see if the card is working properly...
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

Watching live TV comes out fine and any recordings I do get are fine ? While watching live I can go back and forward etc.. and the recordings are fine.

How else do I determine this? I figure the likely hood of all 4 tuners going is pretty much null ??

also the test I made this morning came out fine. sadly I can not initiate another test remotely (sage tv comes up "black" via my remote log in software) so I have to wait till the next scheduled recording passes.

I picked a bunch of random programs throughout the day to see what happens.

If that works I will try it again tommorrow but with sage tv in standby mode.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Sage Icon

make sure you have logging enabled (search the forums for it). That should help to provide some answers.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Good idea I forgot about that function. I will be sure to turn it on when I get home tonight!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok I enabled debugging but the resulting file is gibberish to me. its so dense I don't even know where to begin.

NOW I tried to watch some shows as they were recording. SOME of the programs let me watch them SOME said "no signal"

but anytime I simply watch live tv with nothing recording it works fine.

How do I diagnose this? I guess I could disable all but one tuner and go from there but thats long adn tedious is there a simpler method?

I can tell what is and is not going to record as well. I have 4 program recording right now and 2 are zero byte files the other 2 have a size so they will record.

how do I figure out which tuner is recording those and also how do I determine if its software or hardware? Ahh if I go into recording details it tells me which tuner its using ! nice

be back in a few will see what happens got to figure out which phsyical CARD is which set of tuners :-)

Hmm of the 4 tuners #2 and #4 are not recording. Thats not good I had assumed ONE card would be tuner 1 and tuner 2 and the other card would be tuner 3 and tuner 4

its highly unlikely that ONE tuner on EACH card is failing. More likely ONE card is failing (either in software or hardware)

suggestions?

Guess I am just going to have to yank a card and see what happens.

Yup this is what I was afraid of.

Both cards work fine.

I yanked one card. Once I booted up it was recording 2 programs and both were successful and I could watch them

I shut down swapped to the other card rebooted

again recording 2 programs both have size both can be watched.

Now I will shut down again and reinstall both cards at the same time and see what happens.

Good news my hardware is fine (good can't get these cards cheap anymore)

bad news it means I have a software issue somewhere :-(

Ok this is just starting to freak me out now.

I put both cards back in set 4 shows to record and now ALL FOUR are recording fine ???

any suggestions?

Last edited by nerys; 03-23-2009 at 10:36 PM.