SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Connection Oddity

I'm having some strange connectivity issues with Placeshifter.

I have two sage servers, one on the local subnet (A), one on another subnet (B) connected through a VPN

My laptop is on subnet A, and I can placeshifter to the local server without any problem. If I try to connect to the placeshifter on subnet B I just end up getting the server on subnet A. I can ping the ip of the server on subnet A, and there are no ACL's affecting connectivity (its wide open). There are no errors in the GUI, or the java log, it just connects to the local server without any issue.

When I check the placeshifter logs, it shows it connecting to the IP of the correct server, the server on subnet B. I tried this on another PC on subnet A, and I get exactly the same result.

Am I loosing it here????????????
Old 03-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Sage User

I am having some difficulty understanding your sittuation/configuration. Others probably are also or you would have more replys by now.

How many boxes do you have between the internet and your servers? Is your VPN also a router/switch? Is your VPN in front of only one of your servers?Are you only talking about local network connection or are you talking about connecting placeshifter outside LAN? Maybe a diagram would help or maybe I'm the one loosing it.

Last edited by lazy; 03-29-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Your description is pretty broad.

Can you be a little more specific? What is your IP configuration? What is your VPN configuration?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Subnet A is my local subnet.

Subnet A contains my workstation and my sage server

Subnet B is a remote subnet

Subnet B contains a different sage server

Subnet A and Subnet B are able to route through each other through a VPN (router-->router IPSEC) which runs over the internet. My workstation will know nothing about the VPN, it is tunnelled between two routers, so is invisible to my workstations. There are no ACLs on either end of the VPN, all ports to/from all IPs is allowed.

No matter what I do with Placeshifter I always end up connected to the server on my local subnet. Even if I point to the IP address of the server in the other subnet I still get my local server, as if Placeshifter is throwing out the ip I request to connect to and just connecting to the locally discovered server instead.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:47 PM
SageTVaholic

I have a similar setup with two locations connected transparently by router-based VPN, with Sage servers at both locations. I have no trouble connecting to the remote server by either WAN IP (through the Internet) or LAN IP (through the VPN tunnel). If it's not working for you, the first thing I'd suspect is your router setup. Maybe the port forwarding is borked in such a way as to direct Placeshifter traffic to the wrong server. Did you configure that manually, or did you let UPnP do it?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hmmm..

I always do it manually, I dislike uPNP.

Port forwarding shouldn't affect a connection from one subnet to the other using the internal IP's. The port forwarding will only effect connections to the external IP's. And even using the external ip of the remote server STILL gives me my local server. Its really strange.

I will have a fiddle with port forwarding and disable it for the placeshifter port just to see
Old 04-02-2009, 01:36 PM
SageTVaholic

I guess another debugging strategy would be to use Wireshark or something similar to follow the packets and see at what point in the chain they're going astray. Are they going straight from your Placeshifter client to the local server, regardless of which IP you use? Bouncing off the nearside router? The farside router? The remote server? How far they get along the expected path will help point the finger at the culprit.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

That was it. NAT rule on the router was also translating from Internal port, not just Internet port.

On a side note. Is there anyway to tell Sage that another subnet (say a subnet connected through a VPN) is still local so don't prompt for a user/pass? this'd be very helpful for using extenders in another trusted location over a VPN

Thanks

M