SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:09 PM

1x HD-HomeRun + 2x HDPVR + 2x FIOS STB-HD

Hi
I'm about to attempt building an HTPC and had a couple of questions / wanted advice

1) I can use Win XP 32 bit or Vista 64bit (I have 6GB of ram, could sell off 2 and use the rest with XP). Any recommendations, is it harder to setup on 64bit or any other issues

2) I have 2x HD PVR's hooked up to 2x FIOS 7100's. From what i've read I need to use Firewire channel changing since 2 HDPVR's dont work well over firewire.
I presume I need to get a firewire card with 2x outputs one to each of the STB's and set it up in Windows using the guide in the forums here

3) I need to map the channels for HDHomeRun using HD Home Runs own software

4) I need to setup Sage to pull in the hardware setup/channels. How do I do this, from what little I've attempted in the past it only showed the channels of the HD Home Run (which I tried setting up first). Is there any specific order to follow - setup the HD PVR first?

Is there anything else I'm missing?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:55 PM
SageTVaholic

You are good I would do 32 bit myself for just sage but if you need 64 bit

as for channels it will only show the tuners for each channel as setting them up
after you set your first hdhomerun tuner and hdpvr tuner when setting up the second you can copy the lineup.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:37 PM

The issue I encountered before was different line ups
I setup the HDHomeRun first and its setup with clear QAM channels (20-30 channels) which is a subset of the HDPVR channels(800-900), when I set up the HDPVR it simply uses the channels setup for the HDHR. Is there a way to setup subsets of the guide for a tuner or which channels to prefer for each tuner/recording device. Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Administrator

The "Tuner Configuration Tips & Instructions" sticky at the top of this forum has a link to:
HDHR setup for Windows

Follow those directions exactly as written.

I suggest you configure your HD-PVR first. If the HDHR can tune only channels lineup(s) already in use, then do not choose a lineup for the HDHR and let it map the channels on its own when SageTV does its quick scan -- again: this option will only work if the channels used by the HDHR are included in lineup(s) already in use. If you don't configure it this way, you'll need to use the option to copy a lineup already in use.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ok stupid question warning:

Why use HDHomerun and the HDPVR? I notice you have Verizon FIOS TV too. I currently have one HDTV soruce setup with my SageTV setup - it is streamed to my system via a R5000 modded STB.

But I am now looking to add a second HDTV source, and I would like to avoid having another STB modded by the R5000 guys so I am looking for alternatives.

I thought I could use the HD-PVR but I thought it was all I needed to be able to watch all my HDTV content stream from the Verizon STB - would I also need the HDHomeRun? If so, why? Doesn't the HD-PVR handle all the channels - HDTV and SD?

I thought I could have:

Source #1:
R5000 Modded STB <== USB cable ==> SageTV (current setup)

Source #2:
HDTV STB <== Component ==> HD-PVR <== USB(?) == > SageTV

Would that work?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Using the HDHomeRun offers the ability to cheaply add 2 more tuners, that can catch the broadcast channels (at least) - which are the channels most likely to cause a conflict.

Personally, I'd much rather use that HDHomeRun for high quality OTA reception, than deal with the poor quality QAM nightmare, but some seem averse to even trying an antenna.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Using the HDHomeRun offers the ability to cheaply add 2 more tuners, that can catch the broadcast channels (at least) - which are the channels most likely to cause a conflict.

Personally, I'd much rather use that HDHomeRun for high quality OTA reception, than deal with the poor quality QAM nightmare, but some seem averse to even trying an antenna.
broadcast channels as in the standard definition ones? does that include the HD variants of those channels? NBC, ABC, CBS etc? Or talking about something else?

If HD-PVR handles all the HDTV channels fine that's all I care about.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorius View Post
broadcast channels as in the standard definition ones? does that include the HD variants of those channels? NBC, ABC, CBS etc? Or talking about something else?

If HD-PVR handles all the HDTV channels fine that's all I care about.
NBC, ABC, CBS should all be HDTV now in all markets. I still get news on ABC affliate in SDTV but that is the local stations problem not the network.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorius View Post
That would depend on your cable company (if getting over QAM). Some cable companies only offer the down-scaled SD versions of the locals unencrypted - some offer simply a recompressed version of the broadcast - some (few) simply reproduce the broadcast stream untouched. The best major network feed you'd get would be OTA from an antenna - configuration is also far easier than QAM.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Sage Expert

My FIOS has both the DC and Baltimore HD version of network channels in Clear QAM. Having said that, the OTA version is significant upgrade over the QAM version. I am debating about picking up a 3rd HDHomerun to get only the DC version of Clear QAM where I am located becuase with my antenna in my attic, I have to point my antenna towards either Baltimore or DC. Because I am a ravens fan, I chose Baltimore. Having said that, I would like some of the DC version of the stations for when the Ravens are in primetime and I lose the primetime shows on CBS that get usurped for the simulcast of ESPN or NFL Network.

Also, with two HD PVRS and 4 tuners from two HD Homeruns, we still run into conflicts. Maybe we record too much, but we are investigating either a 3rd HD PVR or another HDHomerun, or combination of all the above.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2

Last edited by mistergq; 11-17-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Go Ravens!

Tags
firewire, hdhomerun, hdpvr, stb