SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Would be great if ...

I'd love it if Sage were able to stream one program (show or music) through all connected devices. Example: I'm listening to a CD - I'd like it to play on my primary TV/sound system as well as on my client(s) in different rooms (and in sync)

I'd also love it if from my primary Sage machine I could tell it "Play this show/music on client (X)". That way if the kids want to watch Tom and Jerry upstairs I don't have to walk up there to push three or so buttons.

I couldn't find the wish list for the next version thread. Sorry.

AWS
Old 03-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWS View Post
I'd love it if Sage were able to stream one program (show or music) through all connected devices. Example: I'm listening to a CD - I'd like it to play on my primary TV/sound system as well as on my client(s) in different rooms (and in sync)

I'd also love it if from my primary Sage machine I could tell it "Play this show/music on client (X)". That way if the kids want to watch Tom and Jerry upstairs I don't have to walk up there to push three or so buttons.

I couldn't find the wish list for the next version thread. Sorry.

AWS
You can do the second one with the web server. You can start a program on any extender that way. http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...?do=file&id=26
Old 03-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Sage Icon

I agree with this request - an option for any sage UI (placeshifter, client, server) to control the media player on any other instance. This could also be a work around for a multi screen solution - running both a place shifter instance as well as a client instance on one PC with the client driving the large screen and the placeshifter as the touch screen interface. Also might use the place shifter on a handheld controlling the large screen instance.

I agree that the Web interface allows for this and is a very functional application, but it does leave something to be desired regarding aesthetics.

Last edited by briands; 03-29-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, I would absolutely love this!

Power on computers and load PlaceShifter, power on HD200 and play the same music or video everywhere!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskus View Post
Yes, I would absolutely love this!

Power on computers and load PlaceShifter, power on HD200 and play the same music or video everywhere!
Syncing would be a tougher putt...
Old 03-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sure, but it should e doable, especially if we're not talking about 100% in sync...
Old 03-30-2009, 01:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Its the perfect synchronization that can be difficult. If all you have is HD200's, then this is much easier (the same hardware is a lot easier to sync), but it's when you throw in pc's and try to sync that things become near impossible. The only program I have found that can sync pc's (audio only at this point) is Airfoil and even then at times you will get a momentary skip....

Hardware matrices are the way to go for perfect audio/video sync at multiple zones.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-30-2009, 01:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskus View Post
Sure, but it should e doable, especially if we're not talking about 100% in sync...
It's doable now if you don't require perfect sync. Just queue up the same content on all clients, then get several people to hit Play all at the same time. (Or use one of the various remote control or scripting plugins to script a bunch of near-simultaneous Play commands.)

But in my opinion there's no point adding official support for this unless it can maintain perfect sync. Anything less will seem like a bug and be reported as such by users.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Like the above poster said, 100% sync isn't needed. A few mili seconds (150 or less ) should be fine. Buffer each song in memory, play, once the song ends, each PC/HD device sends out some sort of "song done" flag and then resync/auto resume/play all at once on the start of each next song. Sync between songs. I doubt anyone would ever notice a micro pause between songs.

AWS

Last edited by AWS; 03-30-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Sage User

I'll add my vote for this as this is exactly the reason I'm dumping sage in favour of sonos.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmpe View Post
I'll add my vote for this as this is exactly the reason I'm dumping sage in favour of sonos.
SageTV isn't really built for what Sonos does. So sorry you picked the wrong product to start with.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
It's doable now if you don't require perfect sync. Just queue up the same content on all clients, then get several people to hit Play all at the same time.
Yeah... haha?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Sage User

dblaine2 it wasn't really about picking the wrong product to start with, it was about my tastes and needs/wants developing over time and sage not being able to satisfy them. There's nothing "wrong" with sage, it just no longer satisfies what I personally am looking for.