SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:13 PM

HD200 5.1 Surround Sound Problems

Hello all,

I know there are several topics on this subject, but I have reviewed what seems to be all of them and am getting nowhere with my setup.

My problem is when trying to play files with 5.1 surround sound built in audio will skip usually every 10-15 seconds. But this only happens through SPDIF Optical Output. Both on Bitstream & PCM.

Files that don't have surround sound play fine, and even the same files that have problems playing through the Optical Output will play fine through the HDMI directly.

So it seems the only issue is playing these files through Optical, the reason it is very a very annoying problem is that this is so close to working. When the files play they look & sound great. There are no skips in the video, and the surround sound is working just cutting out every few seconds.

I have upgraded to the latest firmware & then the latest beta firmware with no difference. The files I am trying to play are both 720 & 1080 mkv & avi files. And as stated before all these files play fine through just HDMI but with no surround sound.

Please, any help anyone can provide. I love the device, but it's useless to me without this one feature fixed.

Edit: The other thing that doesn't add up is that most of these files were converted using SageTV's conversion process. And after checking these files details, audio is listed as 384kbps. Which based on other posts, surround sound should play if under 512kbps. By the way I've also tried several edits to the Sage.Properties file. None that I found made any real difference & have since reverted back to the original. And I have tried plugging up USB direct & playing these files & I do get the same result, just to rule out any network speed issues as a cause. Any ideas?

Last edited by atmelton; 03-29-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Tags
5.1, hd200, optical problems, spdif, surround sound problems