SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV United Kingdom
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV United Kingdom SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the UK - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in the UK.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Sage User

Scanning for channels

I wonder if any SageTV user knows of a method of channel tuning which is easy.

I seem to have played with ScanChannelsDBA which was less than efficient and resulted in channels but doesn't populate the EPG

Also ScanChannelsDBA is an incompatible format so I spent hours trying to get it to be right

TVTV which populates my channel list with No Signal Belgium and German channels which I then seem to be expected to go through de-activating the irrelevent ones.

I'm currently toying with the idea of generating a file from the MS Access database which Hauppauge generates, but know this will end as a file the same as Scan ChannelDBA has generated without populating the program guide.

TO BE CLEAR - Scanning for channels in SageTV populates about 8 channels, My Sony Bravia Autotunes to nearer 50 - WinTV autotunes to nearer 50.

Something here is very awkward in SageTV, I'm quite open to being told that I am doing something wrong.

All I want is for SageTV to tune to the same channels as I can reveive on my television and to list those channels in the program guide (both of these surely being the raison d'etre of this software).

Anyone?
Old 04-04-2009, 04:46 AM
Sage User

fixed it
Old 04-06-2009, 01:40 AM
Sage Icon

How?
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 04-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Sage User

Pretty much what I said in the first post

I used WinTV to scan for channels so I got the full set

Then I opened the WinTV channels db in MS Access and did a DISTINCT kind of query on the frequency list which gave me a few which werent in the Sage Predefined frequency file [silly Sage].

So looking back, a lot of my frustrations were because the predefined list was a subset, further, because sage is looking for signal I dont know why the predefined list needs to be sectioned or a subset in any case.

Dont know why someone didnt mention the predefined frequency file earlier, once I found out about that fix was less than 5 minutes and took little to no text editting of any type at all, start to finish, clean install to all frequencies in EPG and watchable ... < 5 minutes

Thinking on, I might revisit and just throw all DVBT frequencies in so when UK Freeview says 'please retune your box' I just press the button

what a heartache this has been and hand editting scanchannelsdba into sage format played havoc with me RSI [and was a waste of time]

This took me 3 weekends to get my head round - Part of this was due to the massive bug in Hauppauge's Win TV 7 which I also helped them solve (http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=73922 - incorrect version of MSDvbNP.ax not handled gracefully)

if anyone wants the missing channels or more precise instructions - PM me

Last edited by Spagaroony; 04-07-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added more smugness
Old 04-08-2009, 04:46 AM
Sage Icon

If the Predefined scan was not correct, you should raise a bug report with Sage and let them know, they'll correct it.

My guess is that the Predef file is a subset so that scanning is quicker overall, and so that you don't end up with loads of weak signals as well as the ones you should be tuning. When you need to retune your freeview box, it's generally not for new muxes but for changed channels in the current muxes.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients