SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

What did I do wrong?

I've been using Sage with HD200 with SageMC since early February. I decided to update my hd200 to the latest Beta firmware and Sage server to latest Beta. Then added the new SageMC version. Java is most current version. The problem: all the thumbnail covers for DVDs are not showing. They are blank. Tried rescanning, tried rebooting both server and HD200 but that did not help. Any ideas what I did wrong?
Old 04-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Never got it to work properly so went back to my original version of SageMC and DVD thumbnails came back immediately. Oh well, so much for the new version of SageMC.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas-Hansen View Post
Oh well, so much for the new version of SageMC.
You know, it's comments like these that make me want to drop development altogether.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
You know, it's comments like these that make me want to drop development altogether.
I hate to bud in this post, but Mike, I have to say that would be a crime, your STV, is one of the main reasons why I love Sage, and have not gone to other extenders including the popcorn hour. I think the entire community including non SageMC users are extremely grateful for your hard work and easy accessibility.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Please don't stop.. I think 98% of the people greatly appreciate your work and the other 2% are clueless.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks guys. I don't want this to turn into a pity party. I was just a bit frustrated.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 04-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Thanks guys. I don't want this to turn into a pity party. I was just a bit frustrated.

Aloha,
Mike
Yeah, he was out of order Mike, but I understand where he's coming from...

SageMC is the only reason I use Sage, when it doesn't work how I want it to then it's REALLY frustrating, and sometimes we all engage mouth before brain.

It's really a testament to the way you have dragged the Sage interface out of the Nineties

In a nutshell; it's indispensable.

Regards,

Nick.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

Mike,

You need to take the statement in the context of the post/thread as a whole. It is not a condemnation of SageMC as a whole. Your SageMC STV is excellent and appreciated by many...including myself. You should note that I reverted to the prior version of SagMC, which says something very positive about SageMC. My comment was with respect to the problem I was having after installing the latest version of SageMC and the fact that I could not find a solution and in nearly 12 hours since I put up the thread and many people viewing the thread, no one made any attempts to help with the issue. I don't know whether it's an isolated issue to my set up or others have seen it but the problem was triggered with the import of the latest version of SageMC and I sought help on the issue in the SageMC forum. For me, the new version of SageMC did not work but the old version did work properly.

Keep up the good work but remember there will be issues with any software development and there will be critics. My reading of your posts over time tends to reflect someone who positively embraces and reacts to the problems that crop up rather than someone who reacts in frustration. In any event, if I offended you, then my apologies.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

Aloha,
Mike
Let the voices of the many many users like me (a newbie on here) mean more than the one voice of an ungrateful person who has no clue how much work you have put into SageMC and likely does not have the ability to comprehend that there is a human being working (as a volunteer, nonetheless) long hours behind what is SageMC today.

SageMC was one of the first add-ons I installed after I got SageTV over a month ago because everyone on here told me how great it was and it is in my estimation

Simply Fantastic!

And the latest update makes it even more awesome.

We all really do appreciate all of the work that you have put into this. If there was only one add-on I could have, it would be yours.

Displays: Panasonic 65" P65S2 & 50" PX77E plasmas, 19", 26" & 32" LCDs, 4 HD200s
Source: 2 HD-PVRs, Rogers Toronto SA 8300HD PVR, 4250HD firewire tuned, WHS, SageTV, Sonos 1xZP100 & 3xZP120 wireless audio, Gigabyte GA45-E45-UD3R mobo, 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo E5200 (2MB L2), Nvidia GeForce 96400GT, 120GB OS drive, 1 & 1.5 TB WD Caviar Green, Mushkin 2GB DDR2 800 SDRAM, El Cheapo case, Corsair 520HX modular Power Supply.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Sage Aficionado

I debated a while on even posting. I don't want this to sound like an attack and please forgive any unintended offense.

For those that have been on the boards for a while, you might remember the following:
nielm
mlbdude
cayars
dirk
meinmaui

What they all have in common is the significant impact they have had on this product and the community. They have each been inspired to extend Sage in ways that border on miraculous. Through their technical expertise, their vision and humble perseverance they have crafted amazing solutions. But what makes these people unique is that they have gone the extra mile to package their solutions in a way that allows the enthusiast to share in the fruits of their labor. And they have done so with no strings attached, no expectation of reward and in collaboration with all.

(pauses for a moment to wipe tears from eye)

Unfortunately, another trend in this list of names is their disappearance over time. As the community accepts their work, there begins a slow change in attitude from unqualified gratitude to one bordering on unrealistic entitlement. When first introduced, there is so much glowing acceptance that all the rough edges are overlooked. Yet in time, what was once miracle becomes mundane and what was once trivial is now critical.

I didn't get a chance to correspond much with nielm or mlbdude. I did get a chance to email with cayars before he began to withdraw from the community. A recurring theme was the weight of expectation and the lack of gratitude. To me, it didn't seem that the posts on the boards conveyed that message. However when taken in context with cayars comments, it is easy to see how the complaints/requests/demands outnumbered the compliments nearly 10 to 1.

It is rare to have someone like meinmaui in our midsts. Even though he may be standing on the shoulders of the giants before him, it is amazing having someone willing to share their labors and invest the energy to draw in others and keep the vision going. I am guilty of taking without giving back and I hope to start the change today by acknowledging all the work that Mike has contributed directly and all the energy he has invested in bringing others together. I can only dream of contributing at the same level - perhaps my best contribution is to shut up, sit down and stay out of the way of the professionals

Mike - don't let the weight of unrealistic expectations get you down. Do this for the enjoyment and know that you have my unending gratitude (even if I don't voice it often enough)

To EE - we've got a good thing going here. Let's try not to screw it up this time around.
Extenders: 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-300 on Atlona PRO3HD66m
Sage: V9.0.14.567 with OpenDCT on unRaid docker, Gemstone, BMT, Web UI, PlayOn, TiSage
Old 04-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am a very recent convert to SageMC. I have used to stock Sage with a few STVis for a year or so. I had tried SageMC before, and I didn't like it (since I wasn't used to it).

After seeing all of the features that it had, I finally decided to try it for a week and switch back later if I still wanted to.

Well, now I can't imagine switching back. There has been a tremendous amount of quality work. I am very much in appreciation of the all of the experts here.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'd like to add that I wouldn't have purchased SageTV if SageMC STV hadn't existed. It's a great piece of software.

Sure, it's disappointing when there's bugs, but I know that I couldn't build something half as good.

Thanks for the hard work!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Sage Icon

I didn't see the OPs problem even being address yet...

The new version of SageMC uses "Fanart" which is different than how SageMC used to work. That's why your covers didn't show. If you take the time to impliment BMT and setup the fanart folder, then you'd see the improvements.

The old way of reading the images in the same folder as your media is deprecated.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer View Post
I didn't see the OPs problem even being address yet...
Good point.

Thanks for picking up the ball.